WCQ: Aruba vs Canada - Saturday, June 5th, 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - IMG Academy, FL

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The other factor is I can't see Herdman making more that 1 or 2 changes to the team he put out vs Bermuda for the 3 big games. The 1st IX squad have played together a few times. I think they have sufficient  chemistry

It’s XI not IX. Not trying to be a dick, I just saw you wrote that a couple posts back and was gonna ignore it but figured I might as well point it out since you did it twice.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'd say, first, get the win. Then get the goals, but make sure the players are safe and the confidence stays up. 

A starting 11 similar to the one that gave us the record-setting win should be enough for even a 2-0 win right?

Larin

Millar                -            Hoilett

Kaye - Wotherspoon

Piette

Gutiérrez - Kennedy - Sturing - Johnston 

Crépeau (let's not cynically cap-tie St. Clair )

Assuming things looks comfortable after 55 minutes:

- Hoilett could be replaced by Corbeanu 

- Millar could be replaced by Pasher

- You give Arfield some playing time (if his ankle is OK)

- You bring on Atiba so he can get closer to the caps record 😉

We can even start Davies at LB for this one, like we did against The Caymans, and have Gutiérrez as a sub.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

It’s XI not IX. Not trying to be a dick, I just saw you wrote that a couple posts back and was gonna ignore it but figured I might as well point it out since you did it twice.

lol thanks. I'm usually good with my roman numerals. A bit dyslexic today 

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Aruba's team might be a bit tougher this time though, right? They had an all domestic squad in March, but don't they have a few guys in Holland usually?

They do but if they feel like they aren't playing for anything they could leave them out.

32 minutes ago, VinceA said:

They do but if they feel like they aren't playing for anything they could leave them out.

I'm sure they will be motivated because they'll want to beat the Cayman Islands so as to have a better seeding in the next edition of WCQ, and for pride. 

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Aruba's team might be a bit tougher this time though, right? They had an all domestic squad in March, but don't they have a few guys in Holland usually?

Let's treat Aruba like the team that beat Bermuda by 3 to 1 in Sept 2018. She should expect a win, but we shouldn't expect to steamroll them.

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

A starting 11 similar to the one that gave us the record-setting win should be enough for even a 2-0 win right?

Larin

Millar                -            Hoilett

Kaye - Wotherspoon

Piette

Gutiérrez - Kennedy - Sturing - Johnston 

Crépeau (let's not cynically cap-tie St. Clair )

Assuming things looks comfortable after 55 minutes:

- Hoilett could be replaced by Corbeanu 

- Millar could be replaced by Pasher

- You give Arfield some playing time (if his ankle is OK)

- You bring on Atiba so he can get closer to the caps record 😉

We can even start Davies at LB for this one, like we did against The Caymans, and have Gutiérrez as a sub.

For me, the squad would look more like this....

Cavallini

Hoilett                -            Buchanan

Kaye - Wotherspoon

Piette

Gutiérrez - Kennedy - Henry - Brault-Guillard 

Crépeau (agree with the "let's not cynically cap-tie St. Clair")

Assuming things look comfortable after 55 minutes:

- Hoilett for Pasher
- Buchanan for Corbeanu
- Arfield won't be in form, so he won't be there (think he may secretly disappear). So I'll bring on Paton or Priso instead for Kaye.
- Definitely bring on Atiba to close out the last few minutes of the game...just to be sure 😁.

No need to risk Davies for this game, against Suriname we need to look like this:

David

Davies                -            Larin

Kaye - Hutchinson

Eustaqiou

Adekugbe - Miller - Vitoria - Laryea

Borjan 

Assuming we are up comfortably after 55 minutes:

- Bring Cavalini on for David to bang with their big guys, hold up and possess the game
- Wotherspoon for Kaye straight swap
- Osorio for Hutchinson (if needed)
- Buchanan for Larin 

We start with that starting XI, this game is meat and drink as the Lee Dixon says!

Arfield in midfield isn't a guarantee for me anymore. He hasn't been playing, coming back from injury, and skipped out on the last set of matches. I can't say he's better than three guys I listed in the middle. Interesting enough, Wotherspoon is having a near identical season with stats in comparison to Arfield. 

Let's see if the gaffer sticks to his calling up guys based on form or if there is exceptions.

18 minutes ago, Shway said:

For me, the squad would look more like this....

Cavallini

Hoilett                -            Buchanan

Kaye - Wotherspoon

Piette

Gutiérrez - Kennedy - Henry - Brault-Guillard 

Crépeau (agree with the "let's not cynically cap-tie St. Clair")

Assuming things look comfortable after 55 minutes:

- Hoilett for Pasher
- Buchanan for Corbeanu
- Arfield won't be in form, so he won't be there (think he may secretly disappear). So I'll bring on Paton or Priso instead for Kaye.
- Definitely bring on Atiba to close out the last few minutes of the game...just to be sure 😁.

Interesting. With your starting lineup, I'd:

-bring on Corbeanu on for ZBG, and switch Buchanan to rightback so we get to see Buchanan in two different roles

-I'd bring on Osorio or even Baldisimo over Paton or Priso. 

16 hours ago, Kadenge said:

As a fan it's nail biting time but the coach/players/team have been together for 3 yrs now. Our best players have all won or  will win league titles with their clubs. They have faced pressure games this season. I think the timing is right for this squad. If not now then when?...isn't that Herdman's mantra? 

Yeah well now is as good a time as any to qualify given our depth of overall talent in our pool, our core group of guys competing at the highest levels in Europe and MLS and CanPL...this is as talented a Canada team that I've seen in decades bar none.

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Interesting. With your starting lineup, I'd:

-bring on Corbeanu on for ZBG, and switch Buchanan to rightback so we get to see Buchanan in two different roles

-I'd bring on Osorio or even Baldisimo over Paton or Priso. 

Your definitely right about Osorio, forgot about him.

But why must we try to convert guys into RBs? We got an adequate amount of RBs to not have to put Buchanan out of position - it’s so annoying.

He had a good showing with the U23s, and gets rewarded with playing at RB - it just doesn’t make sense. 

59 minutes ago, Shway said:

Your definitely right about Osorio, forgot about him.

But why must we try to convert guys into RBs? We got an adequate amount of RBs to not have to put Buchanan out of position - it’s so annoying.

He had a good showing with the U23s, and gets rewarded with playing at RB - it just doesn’t make sense. 

I’d probably rather he play as a winger as well but he wouldn’t exactly be playing out of position. He plays both positions at club level, I see no reason he couldn’t do that at international level as well when needed.

10 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I’d probably rather he play as a winger as well but he wouldn’t exactly be playing out of position. He plays both positions at club level, I see no reason he couldn’t do that at international level as well when needed.

I get it. But ask Tajon what his preferred position is or what position he wants to play. Outside him saying "I just want to help the team, so I'll play wherever the coach puts me. I can guarantee you it's somewhere in attack!

For me it's we have a lot of guys who are naturally in that position, whether its ZBG, Johnston, Cordova, or Godinho....why must we insist on "seeing" an attacker with flair put in Tajon put at RB. 

We don't play a 3-5-2 or a system that is built for guys like him to excel in that position. We learned that with Davies trying to do everything from the back, which just opened up our defence. 

To add a thought, I was talking to my brother about fullbacks for England.  We were rating theres between TAA, Kieran, Bissaka, James, etc. We were talking about their ability to get forward and join the attack. And he was like, why does fullbacks always have to be attackers....why can't they just be great lockdown defenders.

And I agreed, as if it's a revelation. I rather have a defender who doesn't get beat, than a defender who can give you an assist. The modern game has an expectation of both, but usually you'll see that one style affects the other.

#Stoptryingtoconvertourattackerstofullback

1 hour ago, Shway said:

To add a thought, I was talking to my brother about fullbacks for England.  We were rating theres between TAA, Kieran, Bissaka, James, etc. We were talking about their ability to get forward and join the attack. And he was like, why does fullbacks always have to be attackers....why can't they just be great lockdown defenders.

And I agreed, as if it's a revelation. I rather have a defender who doesn't get beat, than a defender who can give you an assist. The modern game has an expectation of both, but usually you'll see that one style affects the other.

#Stoptryingtoconvertourattackerstofullback

Great point, I think it's actually really cool Canada has both options though. 

Right flank we have Johnston and even ZBG ( i know he gets forward) but both are very good 1v1 defenders. Going forward Laryea skill set speaks for itself. 

Left flank - I mean Davies is so good, even his 1v1 defending and if you want to move Davies forward Adekugbe is an excellent stay at home defender.

So for LB/RB I think it really just depends on who we play cause we are fairly blessed with those options.  

Let's not forget when the European rumours for Tajon came out a month ago they mentioned these teams were looking at him as a RB long-term. We may not want him at RB, but I can see why most talent scouts think he has a higher upside there

For the Aruba game then this would be my starting XI mostly experimental (some of the big guns would be there but not all of them)

GK- Borjan

LB- Adekugbe

CB- Ferreira

CB- Vitoria

RB- Brault-Guillard

CDM- Eustaquio

LCM- Kaye

RCM- Wotherspoon

LW- Davies

CF- David

RW- Millar

Strictly an experimental starting XI...Strictly what I would do just as an experiment as a hypothetical...key word hypothetical...not saying this is what will actually happen but made few tweaks here and there

Still a strong looking lineup

Edited by TGAA_Star
X

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Does Ferreira even get the call if Kennedy or Henry are healthy?

How far we’ve come eh, it would now be considered a mockery for a player to be in the men’s team and they are at unattached fc. 

It would completely be contrary to JHs terms of guys being in form.....but we will see.