Damiano Pecile

Even regular Série B minutes should put him on the radar. Charles Brym got a call up playing in the Dutch second division, and prior to his move to red star, Stefan Mitrovic was at a lesser club and was still in “the mix” (ie talks of calling him up). I don’t think he’ll make a case for the World Cup, especially considering he only started yesterday because Venezia has been ravaged by Covid, but after a strong club season, he should definitely be someone who is heavily scouted for the NT.

Venezia is also a growing and rich club from what I’ve heard, they have incredibly kits and badge and you see people wearing them all the time. They’ve been signing a lot of North American talent which is quite smart in getting North Americans to support them, they’re favorites to go up to serie a this year. It seems like pecile could be a key player this year based on how much he’s posted on their Twitter and advertised resigning him, if he gets starting minutes or even is really good I don’t expect him to be on the WC squad unless he plays insanely good but could definitely see post WC nations league call up. If next season he starts in serie a theres no way you can’t call him up. the thing that intrests me the most is his position, from what we knew he was a holding midfielder but it seems as though he’s playing more of a attacking role, will be a very interesting player to watch who could very well have a future at a club that looks like they’re trying to become serie a mainstays.

• 3 months later...

While on the topic of young players and our need for midfielders and defenders, I figured I'd bump this thread. He hasn't been in the squad since August 7, where he went the full 90 in a cup game. Venezia doesn't have a U23 team and as far as I know, he isn't on loan, so he hasn't gotten game time in a while. His team's also second to last in Serie B, after getting relegated from Serie A last year. Tough season so far.

I hadn’t seen in him in training photos at all, even asked his club to share his pic on Twitter in training but I don’t think they do much other than show merch. Website shows the squad for the games but last time I checked hadn’t been in the mix.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/12/2023 at 12:22 PM, jordan said:

They are in the Veikkausliiga now, I mentioned earlier pushing for promotion, but I was looking at standings that weren’t updated 

We have another young Canadian playing in a top European division.

The Finnish topflight is not the highest of levels, probably not much better than the CPL, but what's important is that it is in the purview of European soccer, which obviously the CPL doesn't have going for it.

I don't think Pecile is going to go far with Venezia, so maybe this loan will put him in the shop window for a bigger team in Finland if he does well, or possibly a club from elsewhere in Nothern Europe if he really does well. Hopefully he gets solid playing time and impresses.  

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We have another young Canadian playing in a top European division.

The Finnish topflight is not the highest of levels, probably not much better than the CPL, but what's important is that it is in the purview of European soccer, which obviously the CPL doesn't have going for it.

I don't think Pecile is going to go far with Venezia, so maybe this loan will put him in the shop window for a bigger team in Finland if he does well, or possibly a club from elsewhere in Nothern Europe if he really does well. Hopefully he gets solid playing time and impresses.  

I was surprised that Finland was "so high" because I had it in mind that they're one of the worst leagues in Europe, because I think their champion enters Champions League in the first round after the micro nations have their intro game. They're currently ranked 37th, right below countries like Ireland, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein (think their rating might be inflated because their perennial champ plays in switzerland), and I don't think many CPL players are leaving Canada to chase opps there, so I think the CPL is a bit higher, but I'm just happy to see Pecile play actual minutes. Regardless of league quality, it'll be good to get his career back on track by getting some actual run time somewhere.

I do hope somehow that he comes back to Venezia. Still have the best kits in all of soccer and would love to grab one with a Canadian's name on the back.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...