Damiano Pecile

3 hours ago, Atlantic said:

First team, they’ve had a Covid outbreak 

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

They have made 5 substitutes so he won't make an appearance. Not that I was really expecting it, but you never know.

Irrespective of the circumstances, it's still nice that they Penciled him into the first team.

Who sees senior minutes first? Pecile or Smith?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, VinceA said:

In the latest Northern futbol Galindo mentioned it doesn't sound like Venezia will be keeping him around. I think he's MLS Next Pro bound until his contract runs out or he gets another loan.

Jeez, wonder what happened. He was killing it at the start and had made their bench.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Italy is a wasteland for young Canadian prospects.

Yup I think there is a bias towards Canadian players even if they are of Italian background. That’s the only way to explain the fact that we have had Canadians play in every top league in the world but not one has ever played in Serie A , well we had one but he was playing on a different national team . If I was a Canadian player I wouldn’t waist my time playing for an Italian pro Academy team , and I say all this as a Canadian who’s mother and father were both born and raised in Italy .

Edited by SoccMan

I would say that both Italy and England have been wastelands for Canadians.  
Unlike Germany, Belgium 

With Italy and England it all boils down to there not being interest in Canadian players.   Unless the player is already playing Europe.

In italy,  if you scour the squad lists of clubs over many years, you will come accross lots uruguays.  Many Argentinians.  You will also come accross Hondurans.  Many from South and Central america.  
Why so many Uruguayans compared to elsewhere?  I dont know.

Edited by Free kick

19 hours ago, Free kick said:

Why so many Uruguayans compared to elsewhere?  I dont know.

Perhaps because Uruguayans (and Argentinians) can trace their origins back to Italy in many cases. Just look at the surnames of many Uruguayans and Argentinians, they are Italian, not Spanish. There was a big immigration to that part of the world from Italy with some estimating a third of the population of Uruguay is from Italian descent.

Cavallini, for example, sounds Italian to me, but his Father is Argentinian. Just one example.

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Perhaps because Uruguayans (and Argentinians) can trace their origins back to Italy in many cases. Just look at the surnames of many Uruguayans and Argentinians, they are Italian, not Spanish. There was a big immigration to that part of the world from Italy with some estimating a third of the population of Uruguay is from Italian descent.

Cavallini, for example, sounds Italian to me, but his Father is Argentinian. Just one example.

You're bang on. Half of the population in Argentina claim some form of Italian descent. So much so that they influence the Spanish spoken in Argentina.

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

Also, in relation to that, there are extremely few Argentines or Uruguyans who may shift to the Spanish national soccer system. Even though you do have the quality and the movement would be natural.

Spain has picked up the odd Brazilian (Marcos Senna, Diego Costa), but I can't recall the last Argentine--maybe it was Pizzi. The reverse process, where Argentines born or playing with Spanish or Italian passports are picked up by the Argentine national team programme, is much more common (they called in a couple u-18s for their last WCQ window camp who were born in Spain).

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

14 hours ago, Sal333 said:

You're bang on. Half of the population in Argentina claim some form of Italian descent. So much so that they influence the Spanish spoken in Argentina.

Lionel Messi as an example. Uruguay and the south of Brazil are similar demographics 

Edited by SpursFlu

Yes.  All true.  I was aware of the cultural links between Italy and Argentina.  The point i was trying to make is that you do definitely  see observable pipelines and evidence of trends when you look (over the long term) at the countries origin of foriegners playing in places like Italy, Germany, England, France and Spain.  

But, it cant be all explained by cultural lineage because this is supposed to be a results oriented business and talent is supposed to be the means to those results.  So if we take that as a given, you should not be seeing that large a number of Uruguayans in only Italy.  Or that vast a number of Jamicains or australians in the EPL but virtually none in Italy.  

And if it could be explained as cultural, then why only 10 canadians in 20 years who have set foot on an EPL pitch?  And that number is inflated by the fact that: 1) two of them got there via trasnfers after excelling elsewhere in Europe. 2) one or two was actually British born and raised and established before committing to Canada 3) one was a backup keeper 4) another three might have played one game or even a handfull of minutes - ie..: ppl you barely qualify as having played in the EPL.  

So we are left with maybe two players who genuinely discovered in Canada or came directly from Canada and found a meaningfull place (eventually) in the top flight of english football.  Thats Paltry…its nothing !  Compare that to Jamaica and Australia?  Even New Zealand with 5 player?   This is one you cant explain by cultural lineage becasue the gap of international achievements between these countries versus Canada is not as wide as it is when you look at that list.  Just like all the Uruguayans in Italy. 

So there has to be other things:  Cultural biases, cultural ignorance and stereotyping,  massive definiencies in talent identification… etc etc  The sad part and frustrating thing about all this is:  when the world cup came around every 4 years, two of the flags you most often see in canada on car windows are those of England and Italy.   Thats what bugs me the most

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Premier_League_players

Edited by Free kick