Enes Sali

Dominic94

21 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Have to disagree here based on personal knowledge of this boy and others in the past.  They would 100% choose Canada.  Especially in the case of this boy, moving to Romania was the absolute last resort.  His family is still in Canada.

My biggest gripe with the CSA is they are really not proactive with anything when it comes to youth.  For example, someone who doesn't even work in the sport brought this player to the attention of the CSA and it wasn't even until the kid debuted for Romania until they sent an introductory email.  Player identification is horrible, they leave it up to the pro clubs to find the players but they can't even get it right.   

I have a hard time believing that this family moved the kid to Spain at the age of 11 and then on to Romania as a "last resort".

Blaming the CSA is incredibly easy and completely absolves the player of any responsibility for the decisions that they have made.  It's an easy narrative for any player to say that "the CSA ignored me so I had no choice to play for X" when they made their decision.  I don't buy it.

The sheer magnitude of infrastructure that would be needed to cover both geography and amateur scouting, without the real help of a professional environment (which most other associations feed off of), is immense.  And most people around these parts think that the CSA is already bloated as it is.

The fact of the matter is that we will lose players and we will gain players.  We just need to hope we gain more than we lose, which we have recently.  Begovic and Tomori are perfect examples of how it isn't exactly as cut and dried and easily solvable as some imply.  There are other examples too.

8 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I have a hard time believing that this family moved the kid to Spain at the age of 11 and then on to Romania as a "last resort".

Blaming the CSA is incredibly easy and completely absolves the player of any responsibility for the decisions that they have made.  It's an easy narrative for any player to say that "the CSA ignored me so I had no choice to play for X" when they made their decision.  I don't buy it.

The sheer magnitude of infrastructure that would be needed to cover both geography and amateur scouting, without the real help of a professional environment (which most other associations feed off of), is immense.  And most people around these parts think that the CSA is already bloated as it is.

The fact of the matter is that we will lose players and we will gain players.  We just need to hope we gain more than we lose, which we have recently.  Begovic and Tomori are perfect examples of how it isn't exactly as cut and dried and easily solvable as some imply.  There are other examples too.

Yeah one of the funniest things was the Tomori found himself on England's youth radar because he played so well against them for us.  WHY DID THE CSA ORGANIZE THAT GAME!

Edited by yomurphy1
grammar

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So you think a million or two (that we have to pay back) of covid loans is going to move the needle on getting Canada's youth programs running like you want?  Are you really being serious??  

Honestly I just want a camp or two and build from there. You gonna start some where. Or maybe use the money to hire an manager or some people with vision and ideas. You gonna spend money to make money. 

With having one of best young players in world, the gold medal and the hype with team. We Should be able to get at least a few new sponsors would you think ? 

I understand money can be difficult to get. But we are at a time where we have a golden generation and we need to use that to build for the future. Yes some of you are right we are gonna lose players and gain players. But in my view and I like to think others are the same. Everything that should done , needs to be done to get these players in playing for Canada. About a quarter ( Hutch, Hoilett, Arfield, Vitoria, Osorio, any player that’s in the 29-30 range now) of our roster will not or might not be around for 2026, we need these young talented players. Also playing for Canada and winning for Canada will improve soccer in this country on the amateur side and on the pro side. 

someone on here should put together a youth team full 23, so we can see the talent. 

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Honestly I just want a camp or two and build from there. You gonna start some where. Or maybe use the money to hire an manager or some people with vision and ideas. You gonna spend money to make money. 

With having one of best young players in world, the gold medal and the hype with team. We Should be able to get at least a few new sponsors would you think ? 

I understand money can be difficult to get. But we are at a time where we have a golden generation and we need to use that to build for the future. Yes some of you are right we are gonna lose players and gain players. But in my view and I like to think others are the same. Everything that should done , needs to be done to get these players in playing for Canada. About a quarter ( Hutch, Hoilett, Arfield, Vitoria, Osorio, any player that’s in the 29-30 range now) of our roster will not or might not be around for 2026, we need these young talented players. Also playing for Canada and winning for Canada will improve soccer in this country on the amateur side and on the pro side. 

someone on here should put together a youth team full 23, so we can see the talent. 

Not that long ago, we had a lot of youth camps and matches (around the time of the England friendly where tomori appeared), and really not a lot came out of it (I still believe in them though); and at that time, we weren't playing many men's senior matches if memory serves.  Considering Covid, the cancellation of the FIFA World Cups and Concacaf regional tournaments, and the state of the finances of the CSA, I think prioritising funding for the senior team's focus on World Cup qualification with the generational talent we have is the best allocation of the scarce resources we have.  If we do well and qualify (which I think we all believe we can), that will be the best avenue to get significantly increased funding both for the lead up to 2026 and to fund youth programs.  I wish we were in a better spot but we are where we are and I think the CSA is making the right choice.  Sure, you can criticise them for past efforts but I am making my judgment on where we are today and I fully back what they have prioritised.  Remember, we haven't played friendlies or competitive matches with paid attendance in 2 years until this latest window which is completely down to Covid but at the same time have had to play more matches this year than ever which has jacked up our costs immensely because of the number of matches and the Covid protocols we have had to follow for each of them.  We just don't have the cash for "friendlies" for youth matches which I acknowledge may lead us to lose a player or two but frankly, qualifying for the 2022 will likely result in us gaining more players overall.  If i was running the CSA, this is exactly the decision I would take.

Edited by An Observer

25 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This. He didn't appear on England's radar because of a performance in a U20 friendly... he debuted for Chelsea at 18 years old a few weeks later in the Prem. 

This is true.  Any English player, playing for Chelsea is almost certainly going to get noticed from the NT.  However, he obviously chose to represent Canada because the English youth programs had overlooked him.  There is no other reason why he would go on and play for U20 Canada 3 times and then strategically switch over to the England U19, 20 & U21 programs.  He was overlooked by English youth programs and Canada gave him an opportunity and then he almost immediately switched over back to English setup after a couple of very strong performances vs them (he was tremendous against Rashford in the one game in particular).

It will be interesting to see if Tomori gets called for England in October or November.  I cannot see how he continues to stay out of this team with the way he is playing in Italy.  Also, England may have a game or two in November where they've already clinched and may call some fringe players back.  Hopefully Tomori is smart about his decision making if called upon.  

I also wonder if we lose out on Marmoush & Ferdi in the next couple of months.  All signs seem to show they'll be called to Turkey & Egypt soon enough.  All three players we could use, but Tomori would be the biggest addition for obvious reasons.

Edited by Corazon

On 9/21/2021 at 3:20 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

This. He didn't appear on England's radar because of a performance in a U20 friendly... he debuted for Chelsea at 18 years old a few weeks later in the Prem. 

Very much part of the story. He played 30' in the last game of the season ( 15/16 - a very poor season for them; finished 10th when Leicester won) and didn't play first team football there again in the next 3 seasons.  Chelsea have plenty of kids (and not kids) that do well on loan and despite doing well at Derby, I am willing to bet he would not have got the chance he did under Fat Frank without the transfer ban they had in 19/20.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

• 2 weeks later...

Romania currently ranked 42. Currently 3rd in Group J UEFA qualifying with Germany, Armenia, Iceland and Liechtenstein in their group. I am not familiar with their roster but having a quick glance they have 2 players in Serie A, 2 in Serie B, 3 in Turkey Super Liga, 1 in SPL, 1 in EFL Champ. Rest in Romania league mostly. Seems in players not called the have several in Serie B. 

Lowest ever Fifa ranking according to wikipedia is 57th in 2012. Highest 3 in 1997. Been to 7 world cups, best finish quarter finals in 1994. 

Last qualified for a World Cup in 1998 and got to the round of 16. 

Didn't make these past Euros. Were in Nations League Group B and got 3rd behind Austria and Norway but ahead of Northern Ireland. 

Edited by canuckgbp

10 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Romania currently ranked 42. Currently 3rd in Group J UEFA qualifying with German, Armenia, Iceland and Liechtenstein in their group. I am not familiar with their roster but having a quick glance they have 2 players in Serie A, 2 in Serie B, 3 in Turkey Super Liga, 1 in SPL, 1 in EFL Champ. Rest in Romania league mostly. Seems in players not called the have several in Serie B. 

Lowest ever Fifa ranking according to wikipedia is 57th in 2012. Highest 3 in 1997. Been to 7 world cups, best finish quarter finals in 1994. 

Last qualified for a World Cup in 1998 and got to the round of 16. 

Didn't make these past Euros. Were in Nationals League Group B and got 3rd behind Austria and Norway but ahead of Northern Ireland. 

They are a bit ahead of us at the moment, but if we qualify for the World Cup and they don't we'll probably be ranked ahead of them. Not to mention us having 1 (if not 2) world class players in our system.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

They are a bit ahead of us at the moment, but if we qualify for the World Cup and they don't we'll probably be ranked ahead of them. Not to mention us having 1 (if not 2) world class players in our system.

We def seem to have more top end talent. They have a more storied history but haven't qualified for the World Cup in over 20 years. I am not sure how their program is currently seen where with Canada we are on a massive upswing. You would think 2026 would be in the back of Sali's mind but who knows. 

Maybe the influence of a mentor is the major thing though. But if we quallify for Qatar and then auto qualify for 2026 (seems heavily assumed especially with Vic at the helm) I would think the wind may shift. Maybe he is capped tied by then though. 

27 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

We def seem to have more top end talent. They have a more storied history but haven't qualified for the World Cup in over 20 years. I am not sure how their program is currently seen where with Canada we are on a massive upswing. You would think 2026 would be in the back of Sali's mind but who knows. 

Maybe the influence of a mentor is the major thing though. But if we quallify for Qatar and then auto qualify for 2026 (seems heavily assumed especially with Vic at the helm) I would think the wind may shift. Maybe he is capped tied by then though. 

This is my point. The greatest Romanian footballer of all time is in his corner as a mentor and is close friends with his family. He brought him over and is giving him minutes in Romania. He's also now playing for Romania's youth teams. If he keeps getting minutes I very much see Romania calling him up for the full national team sooner rather than later.

Doesn't help of course that the CSA doesn't do youth camps. Doesn't matter if they know of him, if they can't offer him anything while Hagi is bending over backwards to give this kid everything I think that makes his choice fairly easy.

56 minutes ago, VinceA said:

This is my point. The greatest Romanian footballer of all time is in his corner as a mentor and is close friends with his family. He brought him over and is giving him minutes in Romania. He's also now playing for Romania's youth teams. If he keeps getting minutes I very much see Romania calling him up for the full national team sooner rather than later.

I must have missed this?? Is there more to this from the dads twitter feeds or something?   Or just the wiki??

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Doesn't help of course that the CSA doesn't do youth camps. Doesn't matter if they know of him, if they can't offer him anything while Hagi is bending over backwards to give this kid everything I think that makes his choice fairly easy.

This^ x100

30 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I must have missed this?? Is there more to this from the dads twitter feeds or something?   Or just the wiki??

Hagi owns/coaches the club he plays for.  Given I know a lot about this player and his story, Hagi just recognized his ability early and has kept him very close which has obviously developed into a close personal relationship between the families.  He's even got Hagi Jr. mentoring him, and has pushed him to the same representation over a very big agency that has a number of Canadians.  Good thing for the kid, bad thing for Canadian supporters as Hagi is really pushing him up the ranks in Romania and positioning him for something bigger next season.  

This is exactly the reason why not having active youth national teams is a massive disadvantage for young Canadian players.  These camps/matches are exactly where European teams are 1st identifying talent.

Edited by Footyeh

• 2 weeks later...