Canadians Abroad April 16th to 22nd

jordan

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians for April 16th to April 22nd
  • If you find updates posted in some other thread then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.
  • If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.
  • Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Besiktas tied Ankaragucu 2-2 today. Atiba played 84' and Larin went the distance playing as a forward.

Apparently both goals for the opposition were from penalties and both Besiktas' goals were own goals. Besiktas also missed a penalty that was taken by N'koudou. With Aboubakar unavailable it's unfortunate they didn't let Larin take it.

I didn't see Aribim Pepple even dressing today as Getafe u-19A took on their At Madrid equivalent, losing 4-0 (Simeone's kid on the field, Fernando Torres' first match as an assistant coach for the club). 

Either he has a knock, or he will play tomorrow as their B team take on the B of Atletico, in another playoff league. It is not at all unusual between an A and B academy team for players to move between them.

Canadians domestically:

TorontoFC vs CF Montreal in the season opener:

Waterman, Miller, ZBG and Piette start for CF Montreal

Shaffelburg, Okello, Priso, Singh and Laryea start for TFC.

I can’t remember the last time 9 Canadians started in an MLS regular season game.  This seems notable.

Edited by baulderdash77

I believe there were eighteen Canadian players that were in the starting lineups across the MLS this weekend and another five who came on as subs. Not a bad start for the season and hopefully a sign of things to come. Particularly good representation from all three Canadian teams.

Edit: I missed Tesho and Edwards. I wasn't counting Singh for now.

Edited by Norrin Radd
Addition of note.

8 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

I believe there were eighteen Canadian players that were in the starting lineups across the MLS this weekend and another five who came on as subs. Not a bad start for the season and hopefully a sign of things to come. Particularly good representation from all three Canadian teams.

I believe it was 20 Canadians in starting lineups (including Singh): Pasher, St. Clair, ZBG, Piette, Waterman, Miller, Singh, Laryea, Okello, Shaffelburg, Priso, Akindele, Kaye, Johnston, Buchanan, Baldisimo, Gutierrez, Teibert, Crepeau, Cavallini.

With 6 Canadians coming on as subs: JMR, Perruzza, Fraser, Edwards, Raposo, Metcalfe.

26 Canadians in the opening weekend. That has to be the busiest weekend ever for CanCon. 

2 goals, 6 assists and 1 clean sheet from those players as well.

Edited by CanadaFan123

They had mentioned in the broadcast of Toronto/Montreal that 9 Canadian starters was a record for a game, eclipsing 6 previously.

26 Canadian players playing in a weekend is almost certainly a record.  A few years ago there were 20-25 Canadians in all of MLS, and getting to 30 was noteworthy.

This is definitely a great sign of things to come as CanCon quality and quantity reaches new heights.

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

And we have yet to see Osorio, Nelsen,  Akinola (mb CDN??), Hasal, Cornelius, Ricketts, Pantemis, Bayhia, bassong, Choiniere, Tabla, Breza, Yao.  Its going to be an exciting year for Cancon in MLS.  

Yao is on loan to Cavalry but I'd also add in Bair, Dunn, Montgomery and Chapman as potential MLS CanCon. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

• jordan unpinned this topic