Potential Gold Cup Roster (Board Proposals)

nice thread, think Herdman should try a backup team for this tournament due to world cup qualifiers in the following month

GK: St. Clair, Desjardins & Hasal

DF: Farsi, Zator, Waterman, Gutierrez, Bassong, Solomon, Amuz, Didic

MF: Osorio, Bustos, Akindele, Chapman, Teibert, Kaye, Whoterspoon, Okello

FW: Ennin, Shaffelburg, Brym, Buchanan

Edited by Dicdan

The start of the MLS season should give us a better idea. Who knows what guys like Montgomery, Bassong, Pasher or Shaffelburg will do. Either way I really hope we’re not rewarding guys who aren’t playing with their clubs with call ups. I don’t want to see Canada be used as a reserve side for MLS fringe players. We have the depth to be past that and its important we change the optics/culture of the national team. 

23 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The start of the MLS season should give us a better idea. Who knows what guys like Montgomery, Bassong, Pasher or Shaffelburg will do. Either way I really hope we’re not rewarding guys who aren’t playing with their clubs with call ups. I don’t want to see Canada be used as a reserve side for MLS fringe players. We have the depth to be past that and its important we change the optics/culture of the national team. 

I think you will be seeing a very young squad at this Gold Cup, guys looking to prove themselves but maybe not getting the minutes with their MLS clubs.  I don't think you'll see MNT "C" squad MLS vet types because I sense that at this stage of their careers  they will be focusing on helping their clubs during the summer stretch of MLS fixture congestion even around the break time for this tourney.  For many of these vets, I think the sun has rapidly set on their international careers by the emergence of these younger guns, so concentrating on club pay cheques and availability would likely be their focus.  Now, you might see a vet stuck on a MLS club's bench wanting to get in the shop window, and that would certainly be an exception. 

Edited by BearcatSA

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I think you will be seeing a very young squad at this Gold Cup, guys looking to prove themselves but maybe not getting the minutes with their MLS clubs.  I don't think you'll see MNT "C" squad MLS vet types because I sense that at this stage of their careers  they will be focusing on helping their clubs during the summer stretch of MLS fixture congestion even around the break time for this tourney.  For many of these vets, I think the sun has rapidly set on their international careers by the emergence of these younger guns, so concentrating on club pay cheques and availability would likely be their focus.  Now, you might see a vet stuck on a MLS club's bench wanting to get in the shop window, and that would certainly be an exception. 

I’m honestly having a hard time even figuring out who you’re talking about? Most of our vets are MLS starters. Teibert is the only one that maybe comes to mind. Ricketts? I imagine both would accept a call though (not that I’m convinced they’d get a call, especially Ricketts)

On 4/1/2021 at 7:02 AM, archer21 said:

I’m honestly having a hard time even figuring out who you’re talking about? Most of our vets are MLS starters. Teibert is the only one that maybe comes to mind. Ricketts? I imagine both would accept a call though (not that I’m convinced they’d get a call, especially Ricketts)

Teibert and Akindele are two I have in mind as guys who might choose to miss out and concentrate on club situations.  After WCQ, Kaye won't be heading out again: I would be surprised if he did opting instead for "load management."  If Chapman is a back up at Miami, he might be a  "shop window" guy, same with Hamilton, Edwards, or even the currently unattached Jackson-Hamel.  

I still believe we will see a fair number of prospects at this Gold Cup, benefitting from the absences of A listers and their immediate backups on the depth chart.

On 3/30/2021 at 11:42 AM, DigzTFC said:

We are in a Group with the US which makes for an intense game. It also means we will probably play Costa Rica or Jamaica in the Quarters.  Then Mexico in the Semi's.  If we beat Mexico and if Honduras doesn't have a strong tournament, we play the USA in the finals.  That's full value viewing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup

Group B

Pos Team
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
1 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Advance to knockout stage
2 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3 21px-Flag_of_the_Territorial_Collectivit Martinique 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
4 23px-Flag_of_None.svg.png Winner preliminary match 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Why do we always get a horrible group ... always a non-FIFA opponent, and this time, if I’m not mistaken, Haiti is most likely to be 4th team, correct?  That makes this a very tough group!

30 minutes ago, Addona said:

Why do we always get a horrible group ... always a non-FIFA opponent, and this time, if I’m not mistaken, Haiti is most likely to be 4th team, correct?  That makes this a very tough group!

Most likely Haiti. These are the4 teams vying for that last spot.

image.png.1e088ed30468a725978f7ec2760c5e0a.png

We talk about our depth being tested with Olympic Qualifiers, WCQ and Gold Cup, but Haiti has it much tougher because they also have Gold Cup qualifying.

I don't know how deep their squad is, but I can't imagine they are deeper than us. Maybe somewhere along the line they trip up. It's a tough schedule for them.

Their WCQ hasn't gotten off to the best start, so there's that. If they trip up anywhere I hope it is there. I want them in our GC group for the competition, less so for WCQ.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Most likely Haiti. These are the4 teams vying for that last spot.

image.png.1e088ed30468a725978f7ec2760c5e0a.png

If Bermuda gets most of their players back, Haiti vs Bermuda will be a battle.

now if Barbados gets all their dual Nationals, Haiti and Bermuda have no chance. 

this is gonna come down too what Federation has their act together and can get the players. 

Edited by SpecialK

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

If Bermuda get most of their players back, Haiti vs Bermuda will be a battle.

now if Barbados gets all their dual Nationals, Haiti and Bermuda have no chance. 

this is gonna come down too what Federation has his act together and can get the players. 

Who does Barbados have that is a dual?

Just now, archer21 said:

Who does Barbados have that is a dual?

RW- Tom Ince

LW -Mason Bennett 

ST -Rhian Brewster

CM  -Dru Yearwood

GK - Jamal Blackman

LB - Tyler Blackett

CB - Jamaal Lascelles

LB - Nesta Guinness-Walker

plus some old guys who did play in Championship and Premier league now playing in 3th-5th 

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

RW- Tom Ince

LW -Mason Bennett 

ST -Rhian Brewster

CM  -Dru Yearwood

GK - Jamal Blackman

LB - Tyler Blackett

CB - Jamaal Lascelles

LB - Nesta Guinness-Walker

plus some old guys who did play in Championship and Premier league now playing in 3th-5th 

Some pretty impressive names. I think I said this in another thread about another team but it applies here as well. Why would these guys commit to Barbados right now when they’re all but eliminated from 2022 WCQ anyways? Would make more sense for guys to start joining in the lead up to 2026 than right now.

6 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Some pretty impressive names. I think I said this in another thread about another team but it applies here as well. Why would these guys commit to Barbados right now when they’re all but eliminated from 2022 WCQ anyways? Would make more sense for guys to start joining in the lead up to 2026 than right now.

I agree, but most of these players are 25 + and England is not going to call them. So I don’t understand why is the federations not making a stronger pitch. Like why didn’t Barbados say look we are playing Panama in one game , we got a chance ! we’re gonna have all our games in Florida like the Canadians. It’s gonna good and safe.  Panama such a weak team right now. If Barbados got like 3 of those players and players they have now, they could beat Panama and win the group

Edited by SpecialK

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

No chance they get Brewster in the next several years.

Idk Brewster has been talking about Barbados a lot in interviews. I think it’s a domino effect. If they got the other dual nationals and didn’t mess up there chances in there group or they get a bunch and qualify for the gold cup. 

But randy Harris is all about his baby. The Barbados domestic league. He wants only domestic players to play. Honestly I think it’s just a showcase them so they can sell them and make money. 

Idk Brewster has been talking about Barbados a lot in interviews. I think it’s a domino effect. If they got the other dual nationals and didn’t mess up there chances in there group or they get a bunch and qualify for the gold cup. 

Brewster is a current England u21 international. No chance he’s leaving that to go play hero for a 5th tier national team. 

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Brewster is a current England u21 international. No chance he’s leaving that to go play hero for a 5th tier national team. 

I agree. But if Barbados got those players, they wouldn’t be a 5th tier national team. See thats the crazy part. Honestly with that lineup, they would challenge us, that mid pack of CONCACAF. The potential is real. Again these Caribbean teams lack vision and support 

Edited by SpecialK

I agree. But if Barbados got those players, they wouldn’t be a 5th tier national team. See thats the crazy part. Honestly with that lineup, they would challenge us, that mid pack of CONCACAF. The potential is real. Again these Caribbean teams lack vision and support 

He’s English and has ambitions to play for England. This is like suggesting a NHL first rounder who played on Canada’s WJC should start playing for Korea. 

12 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I agree, but most of these players are 25 + and England is not going to call them. So I don’t understand why Is federations don’t make them stronger pitch. Like why didn’t Barbados say  look for we are playing Panama in one game , we got a chance ! we’re gonna have all our games in Florida like the Canadians. It’s gonna good and safe.  Panama such a weak team right now. If Barbados got like 3 of those players and players they have now, they could beat Panama and win the group

I’m sure they could beat Panama with those guys but it’s too late for that. I agree it can be a domino effect but it’s hard to get the first domino to fall. Why would any of them want to fly across the ocean to play in these competitions? Are any of them born in Barbados or have a serious connection to them? It’s difficult to convince players with tenuous ties to join up. We wouldn’t have convinced Arfield to join if we didn’t have a foundation of solid/promising players already. We could sell the dream of a World Cup. That’s a tough sell for Barbados right now.

St. Kitts- they could win the group. They could add

St - Tom Elliot- player 60 games in Championship 

CM - Curtis Thompson - Wycombe, Championship 

The Revan Brothers - Aston Villa U23 

CM Romaine Sawyers* wasn’t called up this time around