COQ | Match Thread: Mexico U24 vs Canada U24 | March 28 @ 9:00pm Eastern 6:00pm Pacific

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Ref from Costa Rica

Screenshot_20210328-122751_Samsung Internet.jpg

For me that is fine. With US 4th and reserve. The major Central American countries are not normally pro-Mexico.

The important thing, regardless, is the quality of the ref. We had a poor one vs. El Salvador, and the Haiti one was very good. I can't remember the Honduras ref as I was thinking about other things. The quality of the ref and the sense that we are not fighting a ref deferring to the team playing at home.

8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Here's the results the last few times we played Mexico at this level.

2015 lost 2-0

2012 lost 3-1

2008 tied 1-1

1996 lost 1-0

Really there is no reason to think we will get blown out. This is really wishful thinking, but trying to keep it positive 

This is an unusually strong Mexican team though. Also, they’re at home. I think we’re at a bigger disadvantage then usual but I certainly hope I’m wrong 

The starters for today must varied as some did not do well against Honduras.

Pantemis

ZBG, Cornelius, Montgomery or Norman, Godinho

Farsi, Dias, Metcalf, Tabla,

Brym, Buchanan

Position them where you will, but pace is needed against Mexico.

Bair has been ineffective. Baldisimo can come in later. Dias and Farsi should start.

10 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

The starters for today must varied as some did not do well against Honduras.

Pantemis

ZBG, Cornelius, Montgomery or Norman, Godinho

Farsi, Dias, Metcalf, Tabla,

Brym, Buchanan

Position them where you will, but pace is needed against Mexico.

Bair has been ineffective. Baldisimo can come in later. Dias and Farsi should start.

It’s hard to say who has been less effective - Bair or Brym. For tonight I might go with Bair as his theoretical advantage in the box and on set pieces might prove to be useful vs (whatever) Brym is supposed to be good at.

So far I think Bair is only a threat in theory. When he first caught on at the Caps I was excited but in this tournament he just seems to be a bit lumbery and uninvolved. No fire. Brym may not have made good choices with the ball but at least he has a spark and his play is trying to be positive. If I thought Bair was going to go in there and bash/bruise the Mexican center backs for an hour a la Cavallini I would say yes, Bair for sure. Haven’t seen anything yet that makes me think he will do that, sadly.  I hold hope for a Larin-like transformation in the next few years. 

I still don’t get how Canada basically gets a bye right to this final CONCACAF Olympic tournament while  a team like Honduras who has qualified for the last 3 Olympic Games had to play a qualifying tournament just to get to this final tournament. Hey I’m not complaining but too bad Canada can’t get a bye to the Hex or now the final 8 in World Cup qualifying like they do for this Olympic qualifying tournament lol.

1 hour ago, shorty said:

So far I think Bair is only a threat in theory. When he first caught on at the Caps I was excited but in this tournament he just seems to be a bit lumbery and uninvolved. No fire. Brym may not have made good choices with the ball but at least he has a spark and his play is trying to be positive. If I thought Bair was going to go in there and bash/bruise the Mexican center backs for an hour a la Cavallini I would say yes, Bair for sure. Haven’t seen anything yet that makes me think he will do that, sadly.  I hold hope for a Larin-like transformation in the next few years. 

Bair has never, ever been close to being a basher/bruiser type.  He's a finesse player who likes to a smaller man's game.  As a starter, I fear he would be even more of a passenger out there than he was vs Honduras.  He would be better as a latter game sub to poach goals from set plays, imo.

10 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Bair has never, ever been close to being a basher/bruiser type.  He's a finesse player who likes to a smaller man's game.  As a starter, I fear he would be even more of a passenger out there than he was vs Honduras.  He would be better as a latter game sub to poach goals from set plays, imo.

Agreed 100%

At first glance you’d think he did have that in his locker with his frame, but alas no. He does have nice feet but isn’t super quick it would seem. I think you’re right that poacher is his best role but I can’t see it vs Mexico. Too stranded. Would be like Larin under Floro (which he’s reminding me of a lot). I don’t see him ever becoming an Altidore-type, but a Larin-type with more pressing energy, possibly

Edited by shorty

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

It’s hard to say who has been less effective - Bair or Brym. For tonight I might go with Bair as his theoretical advantage in the box and on set pieces might prove to be useful vs (whatever) Brym is supposed to be good at.

Brym has a much better first touch, which means he is actually able to hold the ball up at times. I have seen people on twitter say that Bair is better for the build up, but I think they are only thinking theoretically (like you and shorty said). He is big, but he doesn't winner headers, and he lacks first touch. I don't think either player has been good, however.

4 minutes ago, shorty said:

Agreed 100%

At first glance you’d think he did have that in his locker with his frame, but alas no. He does have nice feet but isn’t super quick it would seem. I think you’re right that poacher is his best role but I can’t see it vs Mexico. Too stranded. Would be like Larin under Floro (which he’s reminding me of a lot). I don’t see him ever becoming an Altidore-type, but a Larin-type with more pressing energy, possibly

He has a sneaky burst of pace and some quality, close quarters dribbling skills who can play in some good balls but he doesn't anticipate when doing the press and is another preseason lower fitness MLSer, unlike Brym who, for his shortcomings, is at least a grafter and mover with a better two way presence.

But I think he can be an x factor against a tired defence in the 20 minutes, give or take.  Brym starts, Bair replaces him (also, if we are holding a lead, he has proven to be a really good defensive presence at the near post against opposition corners)