COQ | Match Thread: Mexico U24 vs Canada U24 | March 28 @ 9:00pm Eastern 6:00pm Pacific

15 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

All this talk of Dias, and not that he was bad but he had a couple very nice dribbles then lost the ball right after. It's not like he was creating chance after chance.

He wasn't but you have to look at the context, who he was playing with, environment. Observation is key in these situations.

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I have to agree - the talk is over the top. He played pretty well for an 18 year old and I hope he has a bright future but lets chill out.

Don't look at it like Steven Spielberg. Look at it like a Stanley Kubrick. If you figure that statement out, you'll figure the hype out. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With Metcalfe maybe the surprise. 

I don't agree about Norman though. 

Cornelius if he'd been healthy today would be up there.

I thought Norman was good in the two games prior but tonight, be it he’s playing out of position, he’s been turned and lost track of his mark a good 4-5 times. 

I appreciate the hard-nosed tackles and the never-say-die attitude though 

Just now, sebdeserio said:

This is when some of the players that are putting on the jersey for the last time have to start throwing the body.

Tough to say with soo many guys still young.
I would've thought Godinho given his age, but look how he played.

I think this is the ending everyone was expecting. Make the Semis and lose to Mexico by multiple goals.. Couple bright spots and not a "setback" in my eyes. Boys gave it their all and we didn't win our group, that's really what it comes down to for me. 

5 minutes ago, gator said:

That is why I didn't want to play Mexico at any cost, neither did Honduras, too bad they got gifted an advantage over us, this team did about as well as it could given the resources, they played hard in the final and should be proud!

I agree, people were calling me out for saying that we should risk it all against Honduras in our final match. While I know they ultimately didn't have the legs to do it, playing this game against this Mexican team was a foregone conclusion 

Edited by Ngravs

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Tabla has shown a lot better than Brym and Bair. I think they both got more mintues than him.

I think the card the first game conditioned him, and his minutes. 

In the end we were in it, although with very few looks on their goal, before the error leading to the first goal. So we made a decent run of this match, and were not played off the pitch. 

We all know that apart from that error, Pantemis was top quality and really showed to be a solid pro, I am proud to have him on the NT.

I also have to say that Biello played us properly. Remember how often we used to complain about bad subbing, players out of position, poor tactics? The basic tactical set-ups were right each game. We were just missing a bit of mid to attack flow and today, a bit of luck.

I was going to ask if Bair is capable of sprinting on the field, but then I saw that he did so when he sprinted to get a ball that was out of play so he could return it for a Mexican kick-off. Why on earth he can't sprint when the ball is in play is beyond me.

Haven't read the thread but IMO the ball never should have been sent back to Pantemis to begin with, though he should have just put his boot through it. Mexico creating squiddly shit until that happened and we might have taken them to a shootout where Mexican teams have been known to choke before. Ah well.

You make your own luck. We could have given ourselves a chance to be lucky but that was just boneheaded by Pantemis and it deflated us. Who was he passing to? The CB surrounded by 4 Mexicans? Even if he got it... what?!

He has potential but his poor play out of the back finally cost us when it mattered.

Some real promise here though. Amazing to see us have 3 players on the pitch willing and able to take on a strong side like Mexico - Buchanan, Dias and Tabla. 

Wonder what we could have done with two natural CBs and CF. Almost like we were playing short handed without those positions. 

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Tough to say with soo many guys still young.
I would've thought Godinho given his age, but look how he played.

I'd say Buchanan and Cornelius are locks to impact the mens team (and Dias if he commits), ZBG, Pantemis, Baldisimo and maybe Godinho are going to contribute as backups/part of the 18 and everyone else is a maybe. But the gaps aren't big and an injury or successful season can easily change things.

We know what we had to do in the group, and failed at the hands of a Haiti draw. Still impressed with a lot of these guys!

I hope Metclafe and Baldi get more minutes at the Caps. (although they might be sharing minutes)
Norman is going to have a great season at Cavalry.
Buchanan will build on his season with NER last year.
Ballou looked good - think we might see a new Ballou under their new coach.
Bassong might have a bit part season. Doesn't look good, but he short of fitness
ZBG is steady.
Godinho will need a new move - TFC should be an option.
Brym......might not see him for awhile. Needs to improve
Bair...out of shape/sharpness...looks bigger and this affected him. Needs to improve
Daniels you shouldn't of been in the team...and his future might lie with the Philippines. 
Dias we'll see him again, hopefully around mature players.

All in all, this was a grab bag man tournament, who punched over their weight. A lot of these guys were out season , out of shape - and it showed in several games.

Still proud of the boys. 

3 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

I'd say Buchanan and Cornelius are locks to impact the mens team (and Dias if he commits), ZBG, Pantemis, Baldisimo and maybe Godinho are going to contribute as backups/part of the 18 and everyone else is a maybe. But the gaps aren't big and an injury or successful season can easily change things.

I would say this take is pretty spot on.

I also think Tabla has redeemed himself in my eyes.  I would add him to the the list of players that could potentially contribute to the senior squad in coming years.

Edited by Corazon