COQ | Match Thread: Canada U23 vs Haiti U23 | March 22 @ 6:00pm EST

narduch

Match is on One Soccer.

A win would essentially qualify Canada for the semis.

Canada won its first match on the strength of a Buchanan brace. Wonder if we see the exact same line up.

Haiti were defeated 3-0 by Honduras under strange circumstances due to covid protocols.

We’re going into a tough situation, probably tougher than our first game.

I turned off the Honduras Haiti game as soon as I learned that a player was in net, and they were playing against 10 men.

I hope we treat this like a “first game”, get the win and 3pts, and be on our way preparing for Honduras with our foot in the door.

But let’s take care of Haiti. Hey google play “redemption pt.1 music”.

We've had one let down per group stage for the past 3 cycles. 

2008 we came out strong against Mexico with a 1-1 draw and then lost to Haiti 2-1 (after we kicked the ball out for an injured player and they threw it back in to themselves).

2012 we drew Cuba, forcing us to play Mexico instead of Honduras for the Olympics spot.

2015 we drew Cuba again.

We have to be aware that this Haiti team is going to be coming at us full throttle. They'll feel hard done by after the first match and know they need to win.

43 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

2008 we came out strong against Mexico with a 1-1 draw and then lost to Haiti 2-1 (after we kicked the ball out for an injured player and they threw it back in to themselves).

2012 we drew Cuba, forcing us to play Mexico instead of Honduras for the Olympics spot.

2015 we drew Cuba again.

We have to be aware that this Haiti team is going to be coming at us full throttle. They'll feel hard done by after the first match and know they need to win.

That 2012 cycle was a heartbreaker.  Played amazing to beat US, big goals from Henry and Cavallini, just needed to beat Cuba to finish 1st and not face Mexico in semis, gave up a 90th minute goal to Cuba to tie 1-1 and ultimately lose to Mexico.

Haiti is a bigtime trap game and we just need a good solid professional win to clinch the next round.  Also curious if they mark the hell out of Buchanan who else steps up for us to score

This was the 2012 squad for old time's sake, a pretty solid team but lots whose careers fizzled out like keeper Misiewicz who was great in his tournament, also Fresenga, Alderson,  Saiko, Stinson, James.  Edwini-Bonsu was supposed to be our star in that tournament.  Sodade was intriguing as a big  NCAA prospect who also fizzled with the Sounders.  Still, Teibert, Attakora, Henry, Bekker, Piette, Haber, Cavallini, el-Masri, Beckie, Haworth, Edwini-Bonsu was a pretty solid base:

1 GK Adam Janssen 14 January 1990 (aged 22)   United States Minnesota Stars
2 DF Andrés Fresenga 13 October 1992 (aged 19)   Uruguay Racing Club
3 MF Russell Teibert 22 December 1992 (aged 19)   Canada Vancouver Whitecaps
4 DF Nana Attakora (c) 27 March 1989 (aged 22)   Finland FC Haka
5 DF Doneil Henry 20 April 1993 (aged 18)   Canada Toronto FC
6 MF Kyle Bekker 2 September 1990 (aged 21)   United States Boston College
7 MF Bryce Alderson 5 February 1994 (aged 18)   Canada Vancouver Whitecaps
8 MF Samuel Piette 12 November 1994 (aged 17)   France Metz
9 MF Shaun Saiko 13 November 1989 (aged 22)   Canada FC Edmonton
10 FW Marcus Haber 11 January 1989 (aged 23)   Scotland St Johnstone
11 DF Matt Stinson 9 September 1992 (aged 19)   Canada Toronto FC
12 FW Babayele Sodade 26 July 1990 (aged 21)   United States Seattle Sounders
13 FW Lucas Cavallini 28 December 1992 (aged 19)   Uruguay Nacional
14 DF Philippe Davies 12 December 1990 (aged 21)   United States Richmond Kickers
15 MF Sherif El-Masri 5 February 1990 (aged 22)   Singapore Courts Young Lions
16 DF Drew Beckie 30 September 1990 (aged 21)   United States University of Denver
17 FW Carl Haworth 7 September 1989 (aged 22)   Canada Montreal Impact
18 GK Michał Misiewicz 11 October 1990 (aged 21)   Canada FC Edmonton
19 FW Randy Edwini-Bonsu 20 April 1990 (aged 21)   Germany Eintracht Braunschweig
20 MF Evan James 19 June 1990 (aged 21)  

Canada Montreal

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

2015 we drew Cuba again.

I remember Haiti doing that, a very unsportsmanlike and quite frankly despicable act, I hope we have learned because Haitian teams will take advantage of our naivety! The 2012 match vs Cuba is well remembered because I was in Cuba and the match was to be shown on National TV, it got bumped for coverage of the Pope's visit so I followed the match on the V's Forum on my phone! This was before wifi at the resorts and there were no phone plans, I got dinged with a $300 bill for the data I used when I returned home, Cubacell were crooks and Rogers could not negotiate the bill!

Watching Haiti vs Honduras, they're going come in with hard tackles. But their timing can be off, so expect lots of downtime for injuries.

I believe 2 Honduras players were subbed off after hard tackles. If playing, Lucas Dias will get a proper intro to Concacaf. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

To be fair to Soldade he actually suffered a major injury in that tournament in the game against the States, which essentially ended his season and pro career before it started.

https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2012/04/03/sodade-faces-long-road-back

Completely forgot about that.  He was a good prospect at a time we were hurting for attacking options.

One of the other problems with that Honduras v Haiti match apart from gifting Honduras with the win by virtually spotting them with a two goal lead is that it told us very little about what to expect from Haiti. For all we know the better half of their team were all on the late-arriving bus or plane that couldn't play. So not only will they come out re-invigorated from (presumably) having a full squad (minus the red carded guy) and not having to field the Team Food Taster as the most literal false 9 I have ever seen, but our own coaching staff would have been limited in how to scout them.

Even leaving aside the issue of the Team Assistant Statistician taking the field (and presumably a spot on the 20 man roster from a real player in the process), that has to be unique football history - a team starts a match with only 10 players, goes up to 11 players midway through the first half and then finishes it back where they started with 10 players before the end of the game. Outside of beer league pick-up games, can anyone think of that happening in a professional or international game before?

13 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

One of the other problems with that Honduras v Haiti match apart from gifting Honduras with the win by virtually spotting them with a two goal lead is that it told us very little about what to expect from Haiti. For all we know the better half of their team were all on the late-arriving bus or plane that couldn't play. So not only will they come out re-invigorated from (presumably) having a full squad (minus the red carded guy) and not having to field the Team Food Taster as the most literal false 9 I have ever seen, but our own coaching staff would have been limited in how to scout them.

These "x factor" matches are the ones with which we have historically struggled but this year I have a good feeling that we'll get the three points and secure our place in the Olympics-or-bust semis.  We might have to really grind it out to get the win, but I don't see us having a bed sh*tting performance where we drop all the points and look poor in the process.

It's a good character match.  Considering that in their last match the Haitians were reckless with some challenges, my biggest concern will be one of our guys seeing red, retaliating, and then getting a red.  But if we follow the game plan and think big TEAM and little "me," we can do the job. 

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

Fack, no more latin american refs...
The good thing is we aren't playing a latin american team.

Does the TV emoji indicate VAR? I'm confused.

I think whoever runs that account just uses that for the 4th official

I rewatched the first half against ES, as it was late for me when played live.

They pressured us up high and we were not very clean playing out of the back. Their first two decent chances were dumb giveaways, also because we are not supporting each other properly. We need to be closer, tighter, and have longer stints on the ball. Our athleticism, and height, will not be such a clear advantage, don't think. 

We did not pressure them up high so they had time on the ball, although they rarely built successfully from the back to our goal. I suppose this was because Biello had doubts about our fitness at altitude pressuring up high, fair enough. 

The ref was very sloppy and imprecise as well.

We will need to put in a much better performance, with more consistency, more time in the opposing end, and more defensive zeal, if we want a result. No dumb mistakes in our own end. IMO even Tajon can improve passing, hold up and defensive help, it is not just about scoring goals.

I hope we can use Bair for Brym as a starter tonight, other than that I was fine with the lineup and would accept repeating it. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Ya, those latin american refs don't tend to be kind to the Haitians either.

I feel like it's a culture thing. It's almost as if they should be aware of the tactics/dark arts....but it's the complete opposite, and it's as if they are naive. There was a late retaliation shoulder barge on Aidan Daniels in the first half that's almost always a yellow card. 

25 minutes ago, Weng said:

Why?   Thought Tabla looked decent 

Thought Tabla was WAY off the pace for the first half hour or so. He got better. We have to realise it is pre season for almost all of these guys and in Tablas case he hasn't played regular football for a long time. He needs these minutes and the confidence of Biello/a coach giving him minutes, if he is to get himself back on track. I thought Beillo managed his minutes well.