Tokyo Olympics

_Vic_

6 hours ago, narduch said:

That's assuming the Gold Cup game even starts on time. Or ot doesn't go to Extra Time

I double checked last night, and at least the Gold Cup game isn't a double header with the other game. So they don't physically have to delay it if the other semi goes to extra time. Hopefully they don't delay it in such a scenario (and please no rain delay!)

10 minutes ago, Kent said:

I double checked last night, and at least the Gold Cup game isn't a double header with the other game. So they don't physically have to delay it if the other semi goes to extra time. Hopefully they don't delay it in such a scenario (and please no rain delay!)

But US TV will still want to do a pre game show.

It wouldn't shock me if the real kick off time is 1030pm ET

13 hours ago, Kent said:

Wait a minute, I'm just piecing this together. The Canada vs Brazil game starts 4 hours after the end of the Canada vs Mexico Gold Cup semi final? That's a big ask for anyone in the Western Hemisphere.

It is still a big ask in England.  3am then 9am. Sleep, game, nap, work with game in the background. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

They say a picture speaks a thousand words. Well this one speaks a lot more than that.

I think Kadeisha Buchanan's face say's it all.

The lead story on USA Today is the U.S. beating the Dutch.

The lead story on CBC is Canada beating Brazil.

Deja vu anyone?

So many interesting angles and storylines. 

Pedersen is one. But putting all the blame on her is unfair. We had 40 minutes after the incident to score a winner and didn't.

One thing is for sure - they are over the moon to play us and feel they're already in the final. And no amount of deep psychology on anyone's behalf could convince them otherwise. They have beaten us not just when they're sharp but when they're tired, weakened, have all the breaks against them, etc. They even sent a U23 development team to the Pan AM Games in Rio in 2007 and still beat us in the semi-final. Their confidence will be exactly and not less than 100.00%.

Another question and more related to the above then anyone would suspect, is how come we haven't beaten the U.S. in almost a quarter century (despite playing them more than anyone) when Sweden just beat them again making it 2012 World Cup, 2016 Olympics, 2020 Olympics.

Sweden, that northern nation of 10 million. That will shortly celebrate the 50th year of their national league. But there's far more to it than that. There are others who are in the same boat as the Swedes and don't have anywhere near the same results.

The Swedes are about as afraid of the U.S. as we are of Brazil. And the Americans fear the Swedes. A lot of the game is played in the head and won or lost before anyone puts a jersey on.

tokyo21.jpg

Edited by _Vic_

22 hours ago, The Ref said:

Anybody knows if the women soccer games quarter finals will be available in some YouTube streaming.  Including of course Canada Brazil game.

Canada was on CBC. But the other quarters were streamed. Replays available at

https://www.cbc.ca/player/sports/olympics/replays

For the semis, Canada will be on CBC. Other semi will be streamed but it looks like it will also be on Sportsnet.

Watching out of the side of my screen....

0-0, m. 28

Sweden has the edge, and just had a long shot off the crossbar, but Australia is getting their chances too. They also try to play out, are patient, well-coached. I think it is fairly well matched. 

I would not say that Sweden is way out of our league, they had a great first match, and since then are probably the favourite, but I'd say we could also handle them, defensively of course. They are not entirely sharp, don't close down as much as you'd think. They do seem to have a competitive mentality, they look anxious and are mentally and physically tough.

In attack we don't really have clear solutions and would probably struggle vs. either, as we have all tournament.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Watching out of the side of my screen....

0-0, m. 28

Sweden has the edge, and just had a long shot off the crossbar, but Australia is getting their chances too. They also try to play out, are patient, well-coached. I think it is fairly well matched. 

I would not say that Sweden is way out of our league, they had a great first match, and since then are probably the favourite, but I'd say we could also handle them, defensively of course. They are not entirely sharp, don't close down as much as you'd think. They do seem to have a competitive mentality, they look anxious and are mentally and physically tough.

In attack we don't really have clear solutions and would probably struggle vs. either, as we have all tournament.

Australia had them hemmed in the latter part of the 1st half, and had a goal on a free kick from the side disallowed for who knows what. That was a ref intervening unnecessarily in a match: clear goal by Kerr I'd say. Goals are hard to come by in football. Refs don't need to make it hard for minuscule garbage, especially when they are letting teams play in the midfield.

I'll take either side, I don't see us as being underdogs, but would say that we should not underestimate how well Australia is coached, quite like them. 

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

Canada v Sweden for Gold

A good team, probably the best in the tournament so far. But Australia, with good positional play and using width --something we do not do--was able to get into attack positions fairly easily. Sweden also sat back, they did not pressure that intensely. I think the final is fairly even.

I'd say their mental curve has flattened out a bit, ours took a boost with this last win. They may be relieved to not face the US, but we have the lift of taking out the favourite.

Completely missed on something and am really embarrassed. Sometimes you take a player for granted because they're not flashy or flamboyant, but they're ruthlessly efficient and always in the right spot at the right time. We have given up just three goals in the entire tournament and she has been front and center to it all and hasn't missed a minute. To quote wikipedia "she is the youngest of seven girls in a single-parent home and was only 17 when she made her debut for the national team" and at age 25 already has over 100 caps. She has matured into such a dream of a player and I am so incredibly proud she is a Canadian and hope the rest of her career and life after the game is as rewarding.

Someone appropriately mentioned we need to inspire young girls like Jessie Fleming. Oh yeah, she is a prodigy and generational talent and Canadian who makes you so proud of your country too, but I want to inspire young girls like Kadeisha Buchanan.

2 hours ago, _Vic_ said:

Completely missed on something and am really embarrassed. Sometimes you take a player for granted because they're not flashy or flamboyant, but they're ruthlessly efficient and always in the right spot at the right time. We have given up just three goals in the entire tournament and she has been front and center to it all and hasn't missed a minute. To quote wikipedia "she is the youngest of seven girls in a single-parent home and was only 17 when she made her debut for the national team" and at age 25 already has over 100 caps. She has matured into such a dream of a player and I am so incredibly proud she is a Canadian and hope the rest of her career and life after the game is as rewarding.

Someone appropriately mentioned we need to inspire young girls like Jessie Fleming. Oh yeah, she is a prodigy and generational talent and Canadian who makes you so proud of your country too, but I want to inspire young girls like Kadeisha Buchanan.

That is a great story.  She is a real rock back there and led the way in closing out this semi victory.