Tokyo Olympics

4 hours ago, DavemTFC said:

Holy shit 10-3

It isn't very often that a team gives up 10 goals in a game, but also has a player score a hat trick in that same game, but here we are!

At least they scored and not only one but three times.  Chile on the other hand looked so amateur that it is hard to comprehend why the British couldn't score more than 2.  Their first goal was called back for marginal offside and they also had a penalty saved.  Could have been 4 goals.

On 7/21/2021 at 6:09 PM, Kent said:

It isn't very often that a team gives up 10 goals in a game, but also has a player score a hat trick in that same game, but here we are!

So who thought that after two match days Zambia would have scored more goals than the US? And they would have the tournament’s leading scorer? This has been a strange tournament so far. (But I suspect it will end with the usual result.)

Women's football has matured.

It used to be the top couple teams would consistently beat teams ranked below them. It was usually USA and Germany, but a few others have had their reigns (China, Norway, etc).

That was the old world. In the new world, much like men's football, lower ranked teams can defend well and counter and slug out a 90 with the top teams. 

The translation is it doesn't matter who anyone face, if you're sharp you can go through them.

Sounds simple but this has never been the case.

Does this look about right for the outcome of Tuesday's game?:

Beat GB and play a 3rd place crossover (China or Zambia).

Second in group will play a 2nd place crossover (likely Brazil but could be Netherlands if they drop points to China).

Third in group will likely go through because Group F has been a goalfest and China and Zambia have weak goal differentials. But will face either the seriously on-form Swedes or the Americans.

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

USA just tied Australia 0-0.

They finish 2ns in their group behind Sweden 

We avoid them regardless, though, is that it?

Always better to not speculate too much, though I imagine that Netherlands and Brazil are going to try to win by the lowest goal difference possible to avoid the US. Basically it's Brazil that just needs to win by one or two, no more. Or the Dutch could settle for a draw to try to come in second. 

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We avoid them regardless, though, is that it?

Always better to not speculate too much, though I imagine that Netherlands and Brazil are going to try to win by the lowest goal difference possible to avoid the US. Basically it's Brazil that just needs to win by one or two, no more. Or the Dutch could settle for a draw to try to come in second. 

The easiest path is to win the group and play Australia. 

Finishing 2nd means one of Brazil or Netherlands. Finishing 3rd means Sweden.

Canada is in Group E.

Screenshot_20210727-061517_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

The easiest path is to win the group and play Australia. 

Finishing 2nd means one of Brazil or Netherlands. Finishing 3rd means Sweden.

Canada is in Group E.

Screenshot_20210727-061517_Chrome.jpg

Thanks. That also enables us to potentially avoid the US until a final, or gives us a semi final vs. potentially Sweden.

Can I ask why Sinclair wasn't playing? Has she fallen down on the depth chart or? I haven't watched the women's team much lately. 

Nevermind. I thought there were like 8 groups not 3. 

Edited by Hawkguy

23 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

We get Brazil.  Don’t we play them enough already??  (Never to be said for the men’s team).

Here's hoping our familiarity with them will work in our favour. Honestly, it is probably the best quarterfinal opponent to be drawn against.

3 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

Can I ask why Sinclair wasn't playing? Has she fallen down on the depth chart or? I haven't watched the women's team much lately. 

Nevermind. I thought there were like 8 groups not 3. 

Guessing load management 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Guessing load management 

She was limping around for a part of the first half of the game versus Chile after getting stepped on her achilles.  It was the play that was reviewed by VAR and a penalty was awarded. Maybe thats why she is sitting.

Edited by Free kick

Hate these ios app that they have for the olympics. Cant easily  find the most important things i want, such as user freindly event schedules, standing etc.   as a results i missed the game GB.   Which i just found out ended 1-1.  I was looking forward to this game.  

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Hate these ios app that they have for the olympics. Cant easily  find the most important things i want, such as user freindly event schedules, standing etc.   as a results i missed the game GB.   Which i just found out ended 1-1.  I was looking forward to this game.  

Set your alarm for 4am ET this Friday 

And the oddsmakers have spoken. Three of the quarters about the same:

Canada about 3-1 to beat Brazil and Brazil even money.

Australia 4-1 to beat GB and GB about even money.

Japan about 5-1 to beat Sweden and Sweden about even money.

The fourth quarter both teams are close with the Americans slightly favoured over the Netherlands.

Bookmakers calling for a Sweden/USA rematch in the final

But all of these games are about so much more than the best team and who should win. Women's soccer has turned on it's head. We could see all the favourites dumped in this round.

On 7/27/2021 at 2:07 PM, narduch said:

Set your alarm for 4am ET this Friday 

Wait a minute, I'm just piecing this together. The Canada vs Brazil game starts 4 hours after the end of the Canada vs Mexico Gold Cup semi final? That's a big ask for anyone in the Western Hemisphere.

22 minutes ago, Kent said:

Wait a minute, I'm just piecing this together. The Canada vs Brazil game starts 4 hours after the end of the Canada vs Mexico Gold Cup semi final? That's a big ask for anyone in the Western Hemisphere.

That's assuming the Gold Cup game even starts on time. Or ot doesn't go to Extra Time