Tokyo Olympics

_Vic_

Beckie had 5 club goals this year in 18 appearances, under 1000 minutes. Huitema had 5, with more appearances but similar minutes. PSG went deeper in CL and won their league.

Statistically similar, coach just respected a pecking order based on seniority.

Edit: Beckie is 4 years older but still a project. She's still young but may not be a striker. Regardless, Canadá needs goals and the only player I find sharp in front of goal is Viens. Sinclair has to step up too, she's been hiding since breaking the record. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Agree to disagree. And think the comment that she may not be a striker is extremely astute.

It's both incredibly impressive and surreal to think Évelyne Viens and Vanessa Gilles were playing club soccer in Ottawa and Quebec City a couple years ago (while most of the team was playing internationally in World Cups, Olympics, friendlies, national camps, etc). They are not only among the most effective but exciting to watch and give you pride in being Canadian. Huge fan of both and wish the best for them.

Just saw this in a story on the Spain men's squad for Tokyo, which includes 6 from the Eurocup team: they are lobbying, along with some other Euro nations it seems, to allow for 22 players instead of 18. Many clubs find the short roster risky, and more so if anything like a Covid confinement comes up and wipes out chunks of the group.

If that petition were to go through, and the women's competition were to be affected in the same way, I suppose our 4 trainees would automatically be on the roster and available for call-ups. 

20 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I wonder if that will be true. For the sake of player rotation I can imagine Huitema, Schmidt and Carle on the bench vs Chile.

Chile isn't there by accident. As Germany just found out they can play tight defense and have the best goalkeeper in the world. Unless we start scoring using even all 18 might be difficult.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Thanks for posting that.

The training match behind closed doors will be against the Netherlands on Wed, July 14th:

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/sport/artikel/5240090/wiegman-met-24-voetbalsters-naar-japan-voor-spelen

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

If the Netherlands are loaded for a real run out it should be a good reveal to see if we can make a game of it. Interesting they are taking 24. Smits as the alternate's alternate is madness. Their B side could go far in this tournament.

Also a good reminder that most people apply 1/3 of the sunscreen needed.

On 7/5/2021 at 11:08 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks for posting that.

The training match behind closed doors will be against the Netherlands on Wed, July 14th:

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/sport/artikel/5240090/wiegman-met-24-voetbalsters-naar-japan-voor-spelen

The training match ended 3-3.

At one point we were up 3-1 but couldn't hold it!

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1913712712/leeuwinnen-niet-langs-canada-in-oefenduel-week-voor-eerste-groepswedstrijd

15 hours ago, The Ref said:

Besides OneSoccer will there be regular TV Channels transmitting Canada games as well as the other Canada group games and the other groups.

All matches are available online at

https://www.cbc.ca/player/sports/olympics/live

Given the football appears to be scheduled from 330-930am EDT, it will be the place to watch the replays. 

CBC TV will likely carry the Canada matches but will go away to other events if Canada is set to win a medal. TSN/SN will have a lot of the rest of the football especially on the men's side.

Edited by red card

In example #100587 of American hubris, Julie Foudy said just before the Olympics that the American team had no weaknesses. 

Yet, we saw Sweden rip apart the US left and middle continually. The Swedes front 3 movement was a masterclass - the best I have seen in the women's game. 

I wish Canada was close to playing even 50% of Sweden. It was jarring watching Japan/Canada play afterwards so sloppily and listlessly in the first half.