WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol

So thought id share this. Liams missus said Liam sent this to him it’s a pic of him and Theo back when Liam was at Fulham and Theo came for a trial I think probably 6 years ago. Liam was 16 in this pi

Not this shit again.

Posted Images

The only thing I'm a little disappointed at last night's lineup is that St. Claire didn't get the start. I mean what better game to cap tie him. Did we really need Crepeau last night? If Borjan was still in camp would he have started? At the very least he should of been subbed in at some point.   And I was almost half right with my 6-0 prediction.😀

18 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

The only thing I'm a little disappointed at last night's lineup is that St. Claire didn't get the start. I mean what better game to cap tie him. Did we really need Crepeau last night? If Borjan was still in camp would he have started? At the very least he should of been subbed in at some point.   And I was almost half right with my 6-0 prediction.😀

I was thinking they might each get a half, Crepeau and St. Claire.

20 minutes ago, Dicdan said:

i cant believe when an idiot like him says he follows canadian soccer...

i'd be scared if this lad are in this forum !!!!

That guy's just some TFC troll (that some longtime TFC fans seem to know via Twitter) that  makes a new account every few months and slags Canadian soccer and the CPL at every opportunity. If you see any moronic posts come from an account that likes TFC, Celtic and/or the Bruins you know it's that troll evolved into another shitty form. 

13 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don't hate running up the score since we have little choice to do so with the continually-ridiculous qualifying format for qualifying. I would have hated it if our players had celebrated like the US women's team when they ran up the score against Thailand (I think it was) in the last Women's World Cup, but thankfully our players didn't do that - obviously the players scoring their first goal for their country were excited, which is fine and natural but its not like we celebrated by running like madmen and pulling our jerseys over our heads when we hit double-digits.

Gareth Wheeler was talking about how in the past games like this for Canada were not televised, well a large part of that is because games like this never existed, we would come in at a later stage of qualifying rather than this nonsense of playing against the mini-minnows. I know the theory is that this is to help out these tiny nations by letting them play more games but tough to see how a game like this practically helps a country like the Cayman Islands. Let the minnow countries play a shit-ton of games against themselves and let those that prove worthy of moving on to a higher level do so.

Cayman won their Nations League group, I believe. This new coach, a young guy from the Ipswich system, has gotten decent results vs similar island nations.

So this is what it is all about, including them in a next stage.

Which is why I don't agree with you on this G-L.

Anywhere where there used to be blowouts they are less and less frequent. In UEFA all nations are included in all qualifiers, and if you look at results, they are getting tighter and tigher. Spain had their famous 12-1 win over Malta in 1983 when they needed goals to qualify for the Euro 84, and back then it was feasible to imagine doing that. Nowadays it would be impossible: Malta is now above minnow status. Amongst the weakest sides, with a few exceptions, they play much closer matches even against the powerhouses: I watched Hargreaves play for England in a qualifier against Andorra played in Barcelona, and it was scoreless at the half; recently the Andorra u-21 drew England 3-3 in a qualifier, England with U-17 WC winners playing for them.  Gibraltar, Faroe Islands, they also come up with surprises. 

Then, if Cayman gets a result, anyone talented living abroad with that nation's heritage might actually consider putting their shirt on. Why can't the logic workin for us work for them? We are more legit, and we can therefore draw better players into the mix.

Suriname is a team waiting to happen, I think Domincan Republic will end up being tough (with so many around the world, I have coached kids from Domincan families here in BCN), all these Caribbean nations are going to get better. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
5 minutes ago, gator said:

I'm not sure how you can get such a strong opinion on him in a match like that where he barely touched the ball!

My issues are more beyond the pitch with him. His switch feels pretty disingenuous. Multiple injuries, no club and no hope for playing with Portugal and now he wants to play for us. I have similar reservations with Vitoria but he wasn't without a club and broken down when he made his switch.

I don't even know what his club situation is going to look like, if one of the relegation battling teams in Portugal didn't want him, that means he probably drops down a level or two which isn't good. Not to mention if he can even stay healthy.

This is my opinion though if someone is glad to have him then more power to them.

Edited by VinceA

I think CONCACAF is where UEFA was 30 years ago.  Everyone used to laugh at Turkey; no more.  Then they moved on to Iceland and Luxembourg.  Those are no pushovers at all now.  Even North Macedonia or the Faroe Islands are not bad sides.  There will come a day when these Tier 3 sides in CONCACAF will become seriously competitive.

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honest question - did you watch both of those games?  Because I am wondering if Guyana really did let up and just start knocking the ball around or if, with both teams playing with maximum effort, Cuba was just able to score 3 more goals than Guyana against their common opponent.  If it is the latter, to me it indicates an actual difference in quality - however slight.  And in the end, that is what tie-breakers are intended to do - they differentiate between almost equal teams on the basis of slight differences.   But if Guyana did let up and Cuba didn’t, in a format where GD is a known tie breaker, to me that is just a strategic error.  

Rather than adjust the rules about how you account for GD, the far more just solution would be to structure the format of your competitions to simply avoid the 11-0 blowouts.  Rather than eliminating goals above a certain threshold, you should eliminate the circumstances that cause those lopsided victories.  

No, I didn't watch those games. I just looked at the results to try to find a real example since my hypothetical didn't seem to be good enough.

With these blowouts it can be equal parts about the winning team not letting up, or the losing team just rolling over after a certain point. I've played in games with similar score lines on the winning end. Goals at the beginning of the game are hard or at least moderately hard to score, then later on you get guys on the other team giving up and it is much easier to score.

And for what it's worth, I agree with you that if Guyana did let up, they were foolish to do so since everyone knew GD was a tie breaker. And I don't know if they let up, but both of those games apparently were 5-0 at halftime. Maybe Guyana let up, or maybe Turks and Caicos learned from their earlier big loss and decided to play the old 10-0-0 formation in the second half to just limit the bleeding.

52 minutes ago, VinceA said:

My issues are more beyond the pitch with him. His switch feels pretty disingenuous. Multiple injuries, no club and no hope for playing with Portugal and now he wants to play for us. I have similar reservations with Vitoria but he wasn't without a club and broken down when he made his switch.

I don't even know what his club situation is going to look like, if one of the relegation battling teams in Portugal didn't want him, that means he probably drops down a level or two which isn't good. Not to mention if he can even stay healthy.

This is my opinion though if someone is glad to have him then more power to them.

MLS beckons although hopefully not a team that plays on artificial turf for home games!

11 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Third round starts in September. We are gonna need our A squad fix and ready. Playing basically  a month of a extra football is not needed and puts guys at more risk.

What some people aren’t thinking about, is if we do make the World Cup, what would our ranking be for the draw. 

The difference between being in pot 3, and pot 4 could be a good Gold Cup, because of the value of the points (higher than WCQ points I believe). 

Being in pot 3, could give us a chance of maybe getting out the group. 

I don’t think our full A team will play, but won’t be surprised if 2-3 of our starters end up there, with a majority of our remaining of our bench/reserves. 

The rest will be filled with our best u-23’s, and players they would like to cap tie. 

10 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

What some people aren’t thinking about, is if we do make the World Cup, what would our ranking be for the draw. 

The difference between being in pot 3, and pot 4 could be a good Gold Cup, because of the value of the points (higher than WCQ points I believe). 

Being in pot 3, could give us a chance of maybe getting out the group. 

I don’t think our full A team will play, but won’t be surprised if 2-3 of our starters end up there, with a majority of our remaining of our bench/reserves. 

The rest will be filled with our u-23’s, and players they would like to cap tie. 

It probably doesn't matter as the World Cup draw isn't done using FIFA rankings. It is done by Regions.

For example a group  can't have more than 2 European teams.

Edit: Technically they did use seeding in 2018 but they still have regional exceptions. In 2014 it was done by region:

image.png.b36abfd782bf4049cd357fced44bc8b7.png

I think if we do end up qualifying we will shoot up the rankings.

image.png

Edited by narduch
22 minutes ago, narduch said:

It probably doesn't matter as the World Cup draw isn't done using FIFA rankings. It is done by Regions.

For example a group  can't have more than 2 European teams.

Edit: Technically they did use seeding in 2018 but they still have regional exceptions. In 2014 it was done by region:

image.png.b36abfd782bf4049cd357fced44bc8b7.png

I think if we do end up qualifying we will shoot up the rankings.

image.png

For the draw, the teams were allocated to four pots based on the FIFA World Rankings of October 2017. Pot one contained the hosts Russia (who were automatically assigned to position A1) and the best seven teams. Pot two contained the next best eight teams, and so on for pots three and four.[46] This was different from previous draws, when only pot one was based on FIFA rankings while the remaining pots were based on geographical considerations. However, teams from the same confederation still were not drawn against each other for the group stage, except that two UEFA teams could be in each group. 

So yes, while 2 teams from the confederation can’t play each other (except UEFA), you’d still rather be in pot 3, where you get a lower ranked team in your group, regardless of their confederation.  

Also increases your chance of getting a African, or Asian team in your group, and less likely to get 2 euro teams, and South American team in your group.