WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I changed my post immediately as I realilsed it did not come out very well. Damn quotes.

No one touched my comments about hearing the Spanish teens chatting behind the goal the whole time, but I had a feed that was no commentary, just mikes. If I had been asked about that it could have been an even worse comment from me.

But you left in the fact that he “strokes it hard”.  I can only imagine what you edited.  

I don't hate running up the score since we have little choice to do so with the continually-ridiculous qualifying format for qualifying. I would have hated it if our players had celebrated like the US women's team when they ran up the score against Thailand (I think it was) in the last Women's World Cup, but thankfully our players didn't do that - obviously the players scoring their first goal for their country were excited, which is fine and natural but its not like we celebrated by running like madmen and pulling our jerseys over our heads when we hit double-digits.

Gareth Wheeler was talking about how in the past games like this for Canada were not televised, well a large part of that is because games like this never existed, we would come in at a later stage of qualifying rather than this nonsense of playing against the mini-minnows. I know the theory is that this is to help out these tiny nations by letting them play more games but tough to see how a game like this practically helps a country like the Cayman Islands. Let the minnow countries play a shit-ton of games against themselves and let those that prove worthy of moving on to a higher level do so.

That said, I am glad that we are having any matches since we haven't played in ages and barely had any friendlies in the past 3-4 years so I'll take it. But in principle WCQ should never have "how much can a team pummel a mini-minnow to death" as a factor at all. The fact that Concacaf's does means we have no choice but to run up the tally as much as possible.

Just now, top cheese said:

I can’t help to think how some of the u23 players would have benefited from playing tournament football rather then playing the Cayman Islands!

I am very interested in seeing how some of these position battles shake out. There's two spots between Laryea/ZBG/Johnston for RB so someone is gonna miss out.

5 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I am very interested in seeing how some of these position battles shake out. There's two spots between Laryea/ZBG/Johnston for RB so someone is gonna miss out.

Think Laryea is in and the other spot is between the other 2. 

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I am pretty high on Johnston. He looked solid at Nashville. Will be a great battle with him and ZBG for that 2nd spot with Ritchie.

Got to feel for Cordova lol 

Cordova shot himself in the foot when he spent 6 months refusing call-ups because he was trying to remain a starter for Huachipato. And that failed.

Also the Chilean league has gone way down in quality over the last few years.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Cordova shot himself in the foot when he spent 6 months refusing call-ups because he was trying to remain a starter for Huachipato. And that failed.

Also the Chilean league has gone way down in quality over the last few years.

I thought Herdman told him to stick? At best it was mutual wasn't it?

Agreed though. If he is good enough he would force his way in and move to a better league.

23 hours ago, narduch said:

Anyone missing?

Can’t figure out who the guy with the hood in standing in between Davies and Nelson is. By the way, it looks like Cavallini strangled Gutierrez to death from behind at the end of the video so maybe that is why he didn’t play.

21 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I am pretty high on Johnston. He looked solid at Nashville. Will be a great battle with him and ZBG for that 2nd spot with Ritchie.

Got to feel for Cordova lol 

i think you have to add  Tajon to the top 3 of that group.if they keep him at right back

Edited by reggietfc

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Can’t figure out who the guy with the hood in standing in between Davies and Nelson is. By the way, it looks like Cavallini strangled Gutierrez to death from behind at the end of the video so maybe that is why he didn’t play.

Kamal Miller. 

the one I can’t place is between Larin and Laryea. 

33 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Barring injury or severe loss of form, I think Laryea is a lock for selection. Because he can play multiple positions and a player like him is always useful in a squad

1 minute ago, ghostknownunknown said:

Kamal Miller. 

the one I can’t place is between Larin and Laryea. 

Thanks, he doesn’t look as tall as I thought in that clip.

The guy you can’t place is Cavallini, you can tell by his arms when he starts to throttle Gutierrez from behind at the end of the clip. 

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Lol a population of 60000 people probably no better than your local Sunday morning league in your local Canadian city .

But its still a FIFA top flight, you can not say that about a local men's league in whatever city you choose. Toronto needs a top men's league like Vancouver does with the VMSL.