Jump to content

WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Cornelius has played for the full CMNT.  I can’t imagine him being left with the u23s while lesser CBs get pulled into WCQ.  

I understand, but I hope he’s left with the U23s for the likes of lesser CBs. It’s a great opportunity for him to be a leader.

Lets be honest we are really only “worried” about one game, which is Bermuda, the next game we could see squad rotation as the Cayman Islands have no preparation and should be out of game shape.

I think Miller + Vitoria would be the ideal lineup, then there’s combos of Miller + James, Miller + Waterman, Miller + Zator that would suffice for Bermuda.  

If Derek is being called up to play backup than I think that’s a waste, as rarely do you see CBs subbed.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He’s back (?)

Glad the released it finally I sat on that info for a few weeks... Liam flew out Sunday....

David flying back after the game:  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I understand, but I hope he’s left with the U23s for the likes of lesser CBs. It’s a great opportunity for him to be a leader.

Lets be honest we are really only “worried” about one game, which is Bermuda, the next game we could see squad rotation as the Cayman Islands have no preparation and should be out of game shape.

I think Miller + Vitoria would be the ideal lineup, then there’s combos of Miller + James, Miller + Waterman, Miller + Zator that would suffice for Bermuda.  

If Derek is being called up to play backup than I think that’s a waste, as rarely do you see CBs subbed.

 

Fair enough.  I just think Herdman will recognize the immense pressure to get results in these games and may not take any chances.  The odds of us actually qualifying for the Olympics are not great - despite the optimism in our youth movement.  I think Herdman will see WCQ as his path to self preservation.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with our backlin it should be about experience and whoever has been the most active these past 4 months. We should be the better team so limit mistakes and we win. Vitoria and James come to mind with Hutch in front of them

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think with our backlin it should be about experience and whoever has been the most active these past 4 months. We should be the better team so limit mistakes and we win. Vitoria and James come to mind with Hutch in front of them

I get nervous about James (or Henry for that matter) in a game where 1 mistake can doom our entire campaign. We have no room for error against Bermuda. I am all about James against Cayman Islands though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I get nervous about James (or Henry for that matter) in a game where 1 mistake can doom our entire campaign. We have no room for error against Bermuda. I am all about James against Cayman Islands though. 

I agree but its so tough because I really dont see these guys play much. James for instance, I have to assume he's decent but I haven't seen him play much ever really. Definitely not in the past 1 - 2 years.

I know why Herdman made that comment about our defenders because of the leagues they play in or the teams and the lack minutes, you kinda never know what your gonna get. Not to say they can't do a job its just the uncertainty 

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I agree but its so tough because I really dont see these guys play much. James for instance, I have to assume he's decent but I haven't seen him play much ever really. Definitely not in the past 1 - 2 years.

I know why Herdman made that comment about our defenders because of the leagues they play in or the teams and the lack minutes, you kinda never know what your gonna get. Not to say they can't do a job its just the uncertainty 

Yeah fair enough. I don't watch James regularly either. I can only evaluate based on what he's done in the past (some mistakes, but some great moments - like the goal away to Honduras or the Gold Cup quarter against Jamaica in 17). 

I would rather have someone steady and unremarkable, like Vitoria or arguably Cornelius, than someone like James or Henry. At least in a game like this. Those two are high risk, high reward, which is something we don't need at this stage, in my opinion.

If we get to the final round, I am comfortable with Henry and perhaps even James (depending on his form at the time) against a big team like Mexico or the USA. If we pick up points it's a bonus and if we drop points it is expected. High risk, high reward is fine in that case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2021 at 3:44 PM, Floortom said:

The CB situation is scary - especially going up against Nahki Wells.

real shame about the Kennedy injury. 

There seems to be alot of worry on this board about a guy that plays at the same level as a guy we have (Hoilett) and has a shockingly similar career, when Hoilett isn't even in many peoples starting 11s.

If we are concerned about our weak CBs against this 1 guy what must the Bermuda fans be thinking? They have to worry about a top scorer in Turkey, a regular forward on the top team in France, a top CM in the Portuguese league, a Champions League winner who is one of the fastest players in the planet, and a slew of other guys. We should handily win this game.

The 3 CBs these guys used against Mexico played for Robin Hood (Bermuda league), some team from Estonia, and a team from England National League. We could go with all MLS roster guys and I would be confident we have better CBs.

Edited by Stryker911
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

There seems to be alot of worry on this board about a guy that plays at the same level as a guy we have (Hoilett) and has a shockingly similar career, when Hoilett isn't even in many peoples starting 11s.

If we are concerned about our weak CBs against this 1 guy what must the Bermuda fans be thinking? They have to worry about a top scorer in Turkey, a regular forward on the top team in France, a top CM in the Portuguese league, a Champions League winner who is one of the fastest players in the planet, and a slew of other guys. We should handily win this game.

The 3 CBs these guys used against Mexico played for Robin Hood (Bermuda league), some team from Estonia, and a team from England National League. We could go with all MLS roster guys and I would be confident we have better CBs.

I watched many of Wells' matches at QPR, in almost 70 matches on loan he scored 20 goals playing with a good strike partner most of the time, I liked him playing for my club but wasn't devastated when he moved on for more money! He will be a concern on the counter but we should be able to deal with him if he is their lone threat!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Canada can’t easily beat Bermuda and Caymen islands then they have no business being in wcq. 
 

cornelius is best suited getting minutes and tournament experience with the u23. It’s not like he’s an upgrade over the other CBs with experience. I still see Canada going with 3 cb. But I think you go with some combination of Henry, Ferreira, James, Vitoria, Kennedy. Miller andor  Kennedy could serve as some cover for Davies at lb 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, top cheese said:

If Canada can’t easily beat Bermuda and Caymen islands then they have no business being in wcq. 
 

cornelius is best suited getting minutes and tournament experience with the u23. It’s not like he’s an upgrade over the other CBs with experience. I still see Canada going with 3 cb. But I think you go with some combination of Henry, Ferreira, James, Vitoria, Kennedy. Miller andor  Kennedy could serve as some cover for Davies at lb 

I think we’ll be fine. Excited to finally watch a game after over a year

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, top cheese said:

If Canada can’t easily beat Bermuda and Caymen islands then they have no business being in wcq. 
 

cornelius is best suited getting minutes and tournament experience with the u23. It’s not like he’s an upgrade over the other CBs with experience. I still see Canada going with 3 cb. But I think you go with some combination of Henry, Ferreira, James, Vitoria, Kennedy. Miller andor  Kennedy could serve as some cover for Davies at lb 

100% but most of my thoughts and opinions are geared more towards the Suriname game. Im thinking they'll be a bigger test than Haiti or at least about the same caliber 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

100% but most of my thoughts and opinions are geared more towards the Suriname game. Im thinking they'll be a bigger test than Haiti or at least about the same caliber 

In all honesty if they can’t beat Suriname they don’t deserve to be in wcq

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, gator said:

I watched many of Wells' matches at QPR, in almost 70 matches on loan he scored 20 goals playing with a good strike partner most of the time, I liked him playing for my club but wasn't devastated when he moved on for more money! He will be a concern on the counter but we should be able to deal with him if he is their lone threat!

No one thinks Wells is a world - beater but he’s a solid professional that can take advantage of a mistake. And that’s all it takes at a neutral venue match with zero preparation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Floortom said:

No one thinks Wells is a world - beater but he’s a solid professional that can take advantage of a mistake. And that’s all it takes at a neutral venue match with zero preparation.

Yes, any decent striker who can find the net could cause us issues if we make mistakes which we may be more prone to with our lack of preparation, my post was not to discredit Nahki more of just an agreement with @Stryker911 that Wells shouldn't be tearing us apart as some posters fear, he is definitely dangerous on the day!

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, top cheese said:

In all honesty if they can’t beat Suriname they don’t deserve to be in wcq

The only teams that deserve to be in the World Cup are the teams that are in the World Cup. So not 100% true because a tie could maybe advance them, its not really a matter of opinion of who will represent Concacaf it will be decidedby the structure we're participating in. You're either in the world cup or your not in the world cup. But the games are actually played, its not a simulation. Human decisions and actions will determine outcomes and we must deal in reality not in someone's opinion of who deserves what. 

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...