WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL

Playing Davies at LB to negate Bermuda's counter makes sense but then he has to focus on defense. One can't expect him to attack/overlap down the flank like he does at Bayern. Teams that counter are good at exploiting the space vacated by an attacking FB...see Haiti/Jamaica in GC and then we have Vitoria 1v1.  We would have to be  prepared to sacrifice the offensive contribution of Davies.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He’s back (?)

Glad the released it finally I sat on that info for a few weeks... Liam flew out Sunday....

David flying back after the game:  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I just made a post in the Davies thread pointing out that he's been less-than-impressive at winger for Bayern over the last couple of matches. Don't get me wrong, I still think Davies is a winger or forward for Canada, but I have been slightly concerned seeing him make zero impact with his chances at winger late in games. I know, different circumstances and certainly a different caliber of opponent going from Frankfurt/Lazio to Bermuda/Cayman, but nonetheless I think enough about it to share my thoughts. 

Hopefully he can turn it on when he starts further up field for Canada, because lately for Bayern he's been slow to adjust to winger. Too many passes backward and not enough taking players on, forward runs into space, etc.

Basically what concerns me is that he was playing at winger with a full back mentality, which may be called for considering they were protecting a 4-1 lead, but it wasn't much better against Frankfurt and they needed a goal in that game. It's not what you want to see if your a Canadian fan expecting Davies to be a key attacking option in WCQ.

I think it has been too few minutes to judge. 

In matches where they are ahead usually. And with tactical variations. 

I'd like to see him start on the attacking left (edit meant right) some match if Müller is still out. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
16 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Here's what my squad would look like. Without Cav, I don't see a lot of strong attacking options on the bench. Also, this is assuming Hoilett will be healthy, as someone else indicated he is injured:

--------David--------Larin--------

----Millar----Arfield----Hoilett----

-------Eustaquio----Hutch--------

--Davies-----Vitoria-----Laryea---

--------------Borjan---------------

Bench:
Teibert
Piette
Oso
Kaye
Miller
Cordova
Crepeau

Now, I know it seems like there is a lack of CBs in the starting 11. However, my thought is that since we really don't have any proven high-quality options, why not leverage the presence of Eustaquio and Hutch (especially, Hutch) to drop back. This will also allow Davies and Laryea to get forward. It's not a long-term solution, but we need results right now if we want to progress. Whatever team that's fielded will never be the same at the WC anyway.

Does Ferreira get a look on the bench?

8 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

nooope, he's clubless and formless, therefore IMO should not even be considered for a call up.

I am starting to wonder if he turns up somewhere in the MLS. Maybe he counts as a domestic in the US as he was with TFC youth if I recall correctly before going to Milan?

The interview doesn't fill me full of confidence, reading between the lines Arfield and Atiba will not be there, 2 training sessions before the match for those players that actually show up, Bermuda has been training twice a week for some time! I hope I am wrong but this is far from a guaranteed win for us, we have the talent but will it all be there and will the team be prepared to face a tricky opponent?

2 minutes ago, gator said:

The interview doesn't fill me full of confidence, reading between the lines Arfield and Atiba will not be there, 2 training sessions before the match for those players that actually show up, Bermuda has been training twice a week for some time! I hope I am wrong but this is far from a guaranteed win for us, we have the talent but will it all be there and will the team be prepared to face a tricky opponent?

If Bermuda are training twice a week, it surely isn’t with all of their UK players. So either they field a team of domestic players that are training together, or UK players that aren’t. 

8 minutes ago, gator said:

I’m happy that Herdman is taking Bermuda and Suriname seriously but the interview also left me feeling like he was already making excuses if we fall short.

16 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I’m happy that Herdman is taking Bermuda and Suriname seriously but the interview also left me feeling like he was already making excuses if we fall short.

This as well! Someone posted earlier that he better call his best squad because these are the biggest 2 matches of his CMNT coaching tenure and I agree, to me he is still the spin doctor and if we fail in either of these matches he will have every excuse (some are legit) to keep his job!

Thought it was a good interview. He has to play with the cards he's  been dealt. I'm disappointed that Arfield and Atiba will not be there for March but  he can't pressure them to show up. He's done his homework. With no competitive/friendly games in almost 16 months for the A team it will indeed come down to the performances of the players. 

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

We should be calling the strongest squad possible for Bermuda but allow players with club conflicts to skip Cayman Islands. 

Sounded like he is trying to get the strongest team. I'm sure they have considered the pass for the 2nd game but don't think that would make a difference for Scott and Atiba

I haven't gone through the roster but I'm certain David will only be available for Bermuda. He will need to head back to France in order to quarantine for 1 week so he can still play v. PSG.

I'm also fairly certain Henry will not be available at all as Korea has a 14 day quarantine 

Edited by narduch
  • Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL