Jump to content

Canadian Premier League expected to gain 2 direct CCL berths as of 2023


What's CPL Plan?  

19 members have voted

  1. 1. How should CPL react/prepare for 2023?

    • Stay the course / Do nothing
      4
    • Modest fiscal changes--> similar cap but allow CCL bonuses, housing not counting against the cap
      12
    • Noticeable fiscal changes-->Adopting CFL Soft Cap, Luxury tax, introducing 1 DP, less retrestive bonuses
      2
    • Sharp increase in cap - Significant increase in Cap + option 2 and 3
      1


Recommended Posts

 

 

North America
USA & Mexico - 17 berths

 
North America
USA & Mexico - 17 berths

Canada - 3 berths

  • 1 Berth via the Canadian Championship
  • 2 Berths via the Canadian Premier League
  • Strong message from CONCACAF : League competition is more important than 3 clubs playing in the US

 

 

Central America

  • 20 clubs from Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama will qualify for the competition through performance in domestic leagues and a new Central American cup competition.

Caribbean

  • 10 clubs from the Caribbean will qualify, eight of which directly through professional leagues in the Caribbean region and two through a new Caribbean cup which will include representation from across the Caribbean.

screen-shot-2021-02-04-at-3-27-47-pm-png.190474

Edited by Ansem
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is massive for the league and CDN soccer, we could actually have 4-5 CDN teams in this competition.

 

if we win MLS cup and or the supporters shield or leagues cup if we’re ever invited, that’s a birth right there. There are going to be years where the Can Champ finalist goes. 
 

revenue and exposure wise the league just took a massive step forward, the money for those teams will be huge and the exposure against tops teams from MLS and LIGA MX will be a good measuring stick for our players while exposing them to those Leah guess for transfers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely thrilled with this announcement. According to Neil Davidson, apparently CONCACAF is thinking that the two CPL spots might go to the league champion and the team with the best overall performance on the campaign, subject to the CPL's recommendation (this may well be noted in the video above, but I don't have 26 mins to listen to that right now). I think this is definitely the right approach to take. 

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/concacaf-revamps-expands-champions-league-format-with-regional-group-phase-1.24277546

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really massive news given the amount of teams in the expanded tournament. 3 of 17 spots doesn’t scream revolutionary, considering MX and US will have around 8 spots each-but it’s a start.

Tbh this new format doesn’t really excite me, as it’s not really a tournament of champions or ran-ins anymore but now one of top 8. However I get what they are trying to maximi$e, and it works competitively. 

I just hope the CPL teams are able to respectfully compete...which might be a long way out, under current circumstances. 

Was there any mention of the future of Concacaf league? Seems pretty redundant now unless it becomes a fall out/secondary tournament like Europa League or the new Conference league. It would maintain the importance of some of these group stage games considering it will be 5 teams in a group. 

Edited by Shway
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shway said:

Not really massive news given the amount of teams in the expanded tournament. 3 of 17 spots doesn’t scream revolutionary, considering MX and US will have around 8 spots each-but it’s a start.

Tbh this new format doesn’t really excite me, as it’s not really a tournament of champions or ran-ins anymore but now one of top 8. However I get what they are trying to maximi$e, and it works competitively. 

I just hope the CPL teams are able to respectfully compete...which might be a long way out, under current circumstances. 

Was there any mention of the future of Concacaf league? Seems pretty redundant now unless it becomes a fall out/secondary tournament like Europa League or the new Conference league. It would maintain the importance of some of these group stage games considering it will be 5 teams in a group. 

Montagliani talked about the Central American clubs having a separate competition that'll serve in part as qualifying for this tournament. Same will apply for the nonprofessional clubs from the Caribbean (they'll continue to have their own cup, serving as qualifying). Basically, the CONCACAF League as we know it will cease to exist

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shway said:

Was there any mention of the future of Concacaf league? Seems pretty redundant now unless it becomes a fall out/secondary tournament like Europa League or the new Conference league. It would maintain the importance of some of these group stage games considering it will be 5 teams in a group. 

The Times Colonist article I found actually said that this new arrangement would see the CONCACAF league eliminated (possibly to come back in another form), which I haven't seen formally announced anywhere else. If true, then it kind of seems like this isn't so much an expansion of the CCL as it is the CONCACAF League being absorbed under the CCL so it's under a bigger brand name. 

Either way, the CPL comes out with more direct entry spots into continental competition, so I'm happy. 🙂

Edited by m-g-williams
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what hasn't been stated with these changes is the benefit for the CPL teams.

1. They will have marquee games against MLS or LigaMX competition. A perfect recipe for marketing/added revenue.
2. Recruitment of players. Guys will start to think about where they are signing based on the opportunity to face continental competition. (Example being signing in the USL vs CPL. Ultimately the CPL will have to have salaries that are better or comparable to the ones in USL.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shway said:

I think what hasn't been stated with these changes is the benefit for the CPL teams.

1. They will have marquee games against MLS or LigaMX competition. A perfect recipe for marketing/added revenue.
2. Recruitment of players. Guys will start to think about where they are signing based on the opportunity to face continental competition. (Example being signing in the USL vs CPL. Ultimately the CPL will have to have salaries that are better or comparable to the ones in USL.)

Yes, these are some nice benefits for CPL. But there are negatives as well.

1. Under this new format it will be much harder for a CPL team to make it to the final 16 of the CCL.

2. This new format starves Canadian players of experience in Central America and the Caribbean, although it increases exposure to games in Mexico.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

The Times Colonist article I found actually said that this new arrangement would see the CONCACAF league eliminated (possibly to come back in another form), which I haven't seen formally announced anywhere else. If true, then it kind of seems like this isn't so much an expansion of the CCL as it is the CONCACAF League being absorbed under the CCL so it's under a bigger brand name. 

Either way, the CPL comes out with more direct entry spots into continental competition, so I'm happy. 🙂

Exactly. Theyve basically joined the 2 competitions together. With the mention of a new Central America Cup on top of this, I think it really points to the end of CCL. Which is fine. This adds a lot of games to the calendar.

If I'm in a CPL market I'm drooling over the potential group stage match ups 

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Exactly. Theyve basically joined the 2 competitions together. With the mention of a new Central America Cup on top of this, I think it really points to the end of CCLCL/SCL. Which is fine. This adds a lot of games to the calendar.

If I'm in a CPL market I'm drooling over the potential group stage match ups 

Fixed your post. CCL is CONCACAF Champions League. CL for CONCACAF League or SCL for Scotiabank CONCACAF League if you want to use the sponsor or expand to a three letter acronym.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vic is bringing some organization into Concacaf - first at the nations level, now at the club level. Next step is refs.

Great news for CPL. One more club gets in. Get to play a MX & MLS teams twice at home should help bottom line. Playing 4 matches against MX & MLS teams should help player development and transfer potential. Reward for winning league and/or playoffs becomes even more magnified.

It will increase the difference between the haves/have not CPL clubs. Players already in the CPL will want to move to clubs in the CCL. And it will be easier to attract higher quality foreign signings or Canadians coming home signings for clubs in CCL.

CPL will need to discuss what will be needed to help CPL clubs become more competitive in the CCL. Larger rosters, flex/higher salary caps and better stadium infrastructure are some areas that need to be looked at.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I added a question at the top

I voted

  • Modest fiscal changes--> similar cap but allow CCL bonuses, housing not counting against the cap
  1. I think that not counting housing against the cap would allow clubs to actually do more for accommodations for their players freeing more money to acquire better talents
  2. I think clubs should be allowed to put CCL bonuses into contracts which could make the league even more attractive

I find it hard to believe that the league wouldn't want to at least be competitive in group stage against MLS and Liga MX.

Looking at past CCL group stages, Honduras, Panama and Costa Rica have usually lost most of the time but looked competitive. I don't think you need to significantly boost the cap to be a challenge like Costa Rica and Honduras club but status quo isn't enough either because getting destroyed doesn't help the league's credibility nor selling it.

Losing is expected - but "HOW" you lose matters and I think the league will want to protect itself from humiliation.

They have 2 years to get there.

International recruitment will be very important. Let's not forget that the "starting 6 Canadians" rules wouldn't apply to CCL games

 

Edited by Ansem
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...