England vs Canada - Tuesday April 13th, Stoke City (bet365) Stadium - 2:15pm Eastern / 11:15am Pacific

sloth8

CSA announced today that the CWNT will play England in April during the FIFA international window (April 5-13).

The exact date and location for the friendly will be announced at a later date.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccers-womens-national-team-to-face-england-in-womens-international-friendly-match/?fbclid=IwAR0IXdf7bCIZHpI-TKh0pzHtRtFQxf3kb0AMpGR8HecZbEGXwREr3p68Jog

Edited by sloth8

6 hours ago, sloth8 said:

CSA announced today that the CWNT will play England in April during the FIFA international window (April 5-13).

The exact date and location for the friendly will be announced at a later date.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccers-womens-national-team-to-face-england-in-womens-international-friendly-match/?fbclid=IwAR0IXdf7bCIZHpI-TKh0pzHtRtFQxf3kb0AMpGR8HecZbEGXwREr3p68Jog

The FA's article hints that the match will be likely be played somewhere in the UK (or elsewhere in Europe if the UK is not an option).

https://www.thefa.com/news/2021/feb/04/england-women-to-face-northern-ireland-and-canada-20210402

"The Lionesses will then look to welcome Canada during the April international window on Tuesday 13 April, with a venue and kick-off time still to be confirmed."

You usually "welcome" someone to your own home.

England's February match against Northern Ireland will be played at the FA's training ground in the West Midlands, so they may do the same thing again when hosting us if everything works well in February.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 3 weeks later...

England has drifted us. We are two rankings apart but it's a false positive. We have maybe a handful of players who could even start in their league. We have always been similar against the top teams in the world (usually USA and Germany) but now all the countries truly committed to women's soccer infrastructure have demoted us to second class citizens. We may have been first world and in the first wave but we are now just a country with huge female participation numbers followed by a loud period and full stop. The really sad part is thinking what we could have accomplished if we were governed by a gender-equitable organization like the Scandinavian football associations.

The only way we would be performant in the Olympics would be a 3-4 month residency as in the past. But that's not going to happen for obvious reasons, and Tokyo is less than a 65% certainty on trading futures.

15 hours ago, _Vic_ said:

England has drifted us. We are two rankings apart but it's a false positive. We have maybe a handful of players who could even start in their league. We have always been similar against the top teams in the world (usually USA and Germany) but now all the countries truly committed to women's soccer infrastructure have demoted us to second class citizens. We may have been first world and in the first wave but we are now just a country with huge female participation numbers followed by a loud period and full stop. The really sad part is thinking what we could have accomplished if we were governed by a gender-equitable organization like the Scandinavian football associations.

The only way we would be performant in the Olympics would be a 3-4 month residency as in the past. But that's not going to happen for obvious reasons, and Tokyo is less than a 65% certainty on trading futures.

...and for the first time (in a long time) I have more hope for the men's team than the women's team.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Since these are two sperate friendly matches at different venues and not part of a larger friendly tournament (Algarve/SheBelieves/Cyprus Cup) I've made a separate thread for the Wales match.

2) For the sake of making the information easy to find, now that we have the details, may I kindly recommend a mod or @sloth8 edit the title to

" England vs Canada - Tuesday April 13th, Stoke City (bet365) Stadium - 2:15pm Eastern / 11:15am Pacific "

So that's 7:15pm local time.

Broadcast will be on OneSoccer in Canada and BBC4 in the UK.

https://www.thefa.com/england/womens-seniors/fixtures-results
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56410466

• sloth8 changed the title to England vs Canada - Tuesday April 13th, Stoke City (bet365) Stadium - 2:15pm Eastern / 11:15am Pacific

These games will be good to take the mind off the Mexico game the other night.

England is hot and cold but when their planets are in alignment they are formidable to say the least. The good news is that rarely happens. They are a very solid Top 10 team and a program that is keeping pace with (or even exceeding) the speed and trajectory of AAA countries (population, very professional league, quality club infrastructure at the youth levels, money, etc). We match on population but that's about it.

Wales are about half the population of the GTA and are ranked 35th in the world and 20th in Europe. They have about a dozen players in WSL1 but other than a couple notable exceptions they're mostly bench and fringe. They parted ways with their long-time coach in January by mutual consent. Wales are very organized as a unit and their last two quality opponents were in Euro qualifying - a pair of ties with Northern Ireland and a pair of 1-0 losses to Norway.

Edited by _Vic_
typo

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be able to watch this one live, just like the last one. Any idea if the replay will be put on youtube like the last one instead of on OneSoccer? It annoyed me last time. I checked OneSoccer several times a day until I eventually found it on Sunday on youtube, but of course there was another video on their youtube channel that spoiled the score for me. I wish all replays would be available on OneSoccer, even if they are also available on Youtube.

Could only catch the last 15 but what an absolute fantastic way to end the camp. England wasn't at full-strength and held some quality out until late but no matter, they got put down and sent packing - at home. Our second goal was a typical goalkeeper snafu where you fail to realize the speed of the striker closing you down until it's too late and the balls in the net. Great for us, but that goal and the result will certainly harsh the mellow in the Team GB camp.

Super impressed with Jordyn Huitema's work rate and seeing her get stuck in on defenders.

Fingers and toes crossed for the draw.

Thought we were very impressive defensively. Lawrence and Chapman closed down run after run up the sides, and Zadorsky/Gilles' aggressiveness worked out really nicely. Quinn and Scott pressed backwards which helped to support the backline, but they definitely struggled to advance at times.

I think there was a bit of luck in picking up 2 goals, but it was a very structured performance overall. England just didn't have a response to that aggressiveness at the back.

Is there a reason Lacasse never got a chance?  

Edited by PiedPilko