Could Canada overtake Mexico next cycle?

One American

1 hour ago, Kent said:

With all the talk of professional academies as if that is the only way to learn to play soccer, if I remember correctly, Ontario soccer made sweeping changes to youth soccer, including but not limited to the creation of the OPDL in 2014. There was also the move away from keeping standings at the younger age levels and I don't know what all else. It's possible these changes have played a role in the development of players in Ontario, but I don't actually know. I believe the private academies like Sigma are essentially completely separate from Ontario Soccer, or at least the OPDL.

Just thought I'd put that out there, without giving the time of day to the original topic.

I do wonder, it’s probably a mix of things but there’s no denying a cross country improvement in terms of raw talent of the players we produce. From youth to senior it is clear that we can actually play with the ball at our feet, in the past it was a horror to watch.

On 3/29/2021 at 11:22 PM, VinceA said:

This thread is hilarious.

We aren't better than Mexico. Won't be probably ever. Nothing wrong with that. That's just how it goes.

Can we eventually beat them on occasion? Sure why not.

Thanks.   I hope few people around the world see this thread.   Cause its kind of embarrassing.    I question even the intentions and motivation of the person who started this thread. 
yes, we can beat Mexico in any game.   And maybe even at Axteca,  but overtaking Mexico?    Soccer in mexico is like hockey in Canada.  Thats all that really needs to be said,  

On 3/29/2021 at 2:56 PM, red card said:

This thread was of course created by an American. It's the type of dream sequencing internet posts you see all over US soccer forums. It's why some of their fan base are delusional. They assume their dominance in other sports can easily be transposed to soccer. 

Structurally, Canada will not catch up to Mexico in anyone's lifetime on this forum. We were wandering in the football wilderness till the 70s. Most of Canada just learned the World Cup existed in 82 when it was on tv for the first time. Our league is 3 years old. Iceland has more Uefa licensed coaches than Canada. Supporters culture just arrived in this century. 

Yes.   I cringed when i first saw this thread and its title.   Your points are valid but i think you missed one very important one, and thats “culture”.    In canada a gifted young athlete or athletically inclined kid has many options in terms of sports.  And they going to lean towards the one(s) of their dreams and their dreams are based on cultural influences.     If all of our best athletes had the opportunity to earn the lifestyle peronal gratifucation in soccer that the current atletes  do in say , hockey, we would be better than Mexico right now.  This aint gonna happen in our lifetime.   For many reasons, not least our climate.  Have we forgotten that we are a winter country. 

Edited by Free kick

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

Thanks.   I hope few people around the world see this thread.   Cause its kind of embarrassing.    I question even the intentions and motivation of the person who started this thread. 
yes, we can beat Mexico in any game.   And maybe even at Axteca,  but overtaking Mexico?    Soccer in mexico is like hockey in Canada.  Thats all that really needs to be said,  

Yeah, chances of us pulling an "Aztecazo" anytime soon are pretty dim. To date I believe only Costa Rica and Honduras have managed it (and Honduras did play a somewhat dysfunctional Mexican squad that needed the USA to bail them out during that cycle)

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

I don't mind if people around the world see it, the author's name is clear as day on it, the only embarrassment to me is to all of you who took it seriously and didn't realize it was a troll job of major proportions! 

21 hours ago, Free kick said:

The one who started this thread did it for kicks and a laugh, sure, but, the moment I co-signed the sentiment/discussion going on in here is the moment this thread gained legitimacy considering my words carry the weight of a thousand men. I am obviously being a little facetious here. Anyhow, in all seriousness, I take issue with "soccer in Mexico is like hockey in Canada." And how that's all that really needs to be said. There's a lot more variables at play here. For starters, the athleticism of top Canadian youth athletes is far superior to their Mexican counterparts. Second, contact sports are heavily ingrained in Canadian youth sports culture, which is why we are able to produce a capable national team with such infantile professionalism currently. Just imagine what our potential is when the CPL is fully fledged out and our infrastructure has matured to the point there is direct path, grass roots to professionalism for kids to follow. Think about it.

21 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes.   I cringed when i first saw this thread and its title.   Your points are valid but i think you missed one very important one, and thats “culture”.    In canada a gifted young athlete or athletically inclined kid has many options in terms of sports.  And they going to lean towards the one(s) of their dreams and their dreams are based on cultural influences.     If all of our best athletes had the opportunity to earn the lifestyle peronal gratifucation in soccer that the current atletes  do in say , hockey, we would be better than Mexico right now.  This aint gonna happen in our lifetime.   For many reasons, not least our climate.  Have we forgotten that we are a winter country. 

Not true. All it will take is for MLS to start paying minimum salaries of $500,000. The NHL signed a US deal with ESPN recently for nearly half a billion dollars. MLS could potentially get something in that ball park come 2023 when the league's media deals expire. When that happens, the league will truly become major league since it will finally start paying major league salaries, and as result, more top athletes will choose the sport. Even with MLS in its current state, we still have top athletes choosing this sport considering a lot of them don't play ice hockey and a lot don't have the physical length to compete in basketball. This will only continue in soccer's favour the more lucrative MLS salaries become.

Edited by Macksam