Jump to content

Could Canada overtake Mexico next cycle?


Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

To clarify, im not sure what overtake them means but I think our national team could beat their national team in a soccer game 

I think to overtake we need to be better than them at every level consistently, our XI at each level has to be better and with enough depth.

 

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that our youth teams are close to them and I do think our actual U23 would beat them more than not, I don’t know enough about them to say 9/10 but it’s clear that we produced some top talent at that age this time around while they haven’t matched that top end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But remember they have a very good domestic league compromised mostly of domestic players basically all produced domestically. So I think we have a ways to go as far as "overtaking" them generally speaking. Mexico is one of the top footballing nations in the world. We should be proud and we're getting there  but I guess it comes down to what you mean by overtaking 

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think a full u23 v u23 we could beat them so yah maybe

On what basis...of having David and Davies in the attack? lol 
What about them having Diego Lainez, Carlos Salcedo, Efrain Alvarez and the rest of their young guys who are in the senior squad.

I thought this thread was dead, when it was deemed stupid by the majority. 

Yes we would be stronger, but so would they...and history is all we have not hypothetically unrealistic expectations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

On what basis...of having David and Davies in the attack? lol 
What about them having Diego Lainez, Carlos Salcedo, Efrain Alvarez and the rest of their young guys who are in the senior squad.

I thought this thread was dead, when it was deemed stupid by the majority. 

Yes we would be stronger, but so would they...and history is all we have not hypothetically unrealistic expectations. 

"We COULD beat them" as in might or potentially 

Davies, David, Corbeanu, Millar, Flores a few others. I dont think its an outrageous comment. I think we would have a very good team

As I stated i don't think we're overtaking them in anyway and I had no idea how old the thread was. I just think our best u23s could give their best 23s all they handle and maybe more

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Shway said:

On what basis...of having David and Davies in the attack? lol 
What about them having Diego Lainez, Carlos Salcedo, Efrain Alvarez and the rest of their young guys who are in the senior squad.

I thought this thread was dead, when it was deemed stupid by the majority. 

Yes we would be stronger, but so would they...and history is all we have not hypothetically unrealistic expectations. 

Don't forget about:

Edson Alvarez (Ajax) with 35 caps and 2 goals for the senior squad.  

Cesar Montes (Monterrey) with 13 senior caps.

Jorge Sanchez (Club America) with 11 senior team caps.

Gerardo Arteaga (Gent) with 6 senior team caps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Corazon said:

Don't forget about:

Edson Alvarez (Ajax) with 35 caps and 2 goals for the senior squad.  

Cesar Montes (Monterrey) with 13 senior caps.

Jorge Sanchez (Club America) with 11 senior team caps.

Gerardo Arteaga (Gent) with 6 senior team caps.

yea I know...i was going to list them, but I was like what for! This is stupid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

"We COULD beat them" as in might or potentially 

Davies, David, Corbeanu, Millar, Flores a few others. I dont think its an outrageous comment. I think we would have a very good team

and with this same logic....we coudlve beat them last night baring any crucial mistakes. 

Flores...let's pump the hype breaks on him a bit. The rest okay - because we've seen them play, but I don't think I'm taking Buchanan out of the starting. But again we would be a lot more dangerous....but so would they.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Shway said:

yea I know...i was going to list them, but I was like what for! This is stupid.

The fact we list Marcelo Flores as a contributor to our Olympic squad but not Mexico just shows exactly that.  As excited as I am for Marcelo Flores, he is no where near this Mexico Olympic squad.  I would expect him to contribute to the next cycle if anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Corazon said:

The fact we list Marcelo Flores as a contributor to our Olympic squad but not Mexico just shows exactly that.  As excited as I am for Marcelo Flores, he is no where near this Mexico Olympic squad.  I would expect him to contribute to the next cycle if anything.

Exactly....simple perspective. 

Mexico is a beast in our federation, there isn't another nation that compares to their dominance in their respective region(Maybe New Zealand).

So close this dumb thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread was of course created by an American. It's the type of dream sequencing internet posts you see all over US soccer forums. It's why some of their fan base are delusional. They assume their dominance in other sports can easily be transposed to soccer. 

Structurally, Canada will not catch up to Mexico in anyone's lifetime on this forum. We were wandering in the football wilderness till the 70s. Most of Canada just learned the World Cup existed in 82 when it was on tv for the first time. Our league is 3 years old. Iceland has more Uefa licensed coaches than Canada. Supporters culture just arrived in this century. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shway said:

What about them having Diego Lainez, Carlos Salcedo, Efrain Alvarez and the rest of their young guys who are in the senior squad.

Those guys aren't as good as Davies or David, IMO. The elite young players in CONCACAF are Davies, David, Bailey, and whatever Americans you want to add, plus maybe some island dual nats TBD. LigaMX will keep Mexico competitive. And I don't know who will score goals for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Exactly....simple perspective. 

Mexico is a beast in our federation, there isn't another nation that compares to their dominance in their respective region(Maybe New Zealand).

So close this dumb thread.

They were second place to the USMNT for most of the Donovan/Dempsey era.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t get the negativity. We’re clearly producing good young players at a high rate through limited scouting.

I could swear there’s a trend here... all of this is on the back of 3 MLS teams, a few private academies and a non existent pathway. The idea is that we will never catch them in our life time is delirium itself. We’ve made strides and are deeper and better than ever without a proper pathway, again I’ll ask what will the CAN PL results bring ? After 2 years I see one kid at Getafe.... not bad for a league hammered by Covid and that young. 
 

that Jebbison kid that England called played soccer in Canada too, with a private academy... didn’t Onduze and that Akinola guy spend some of their soccer careers in Canada ?  We’ve had practically nothing for years and before that there was nothing, if we’re doing this well depth wise and young player wise now, what will we do with more ? 
 

In the 2000 age group the best NA born and trained players are Canadian... will it happen with 2001 ? Who knows, probably not, in the 2002’s is there not a chance for the it with Corbeanu ? In the 2003’s time will tell but are there not Canadians on that list ? In 2004 is Rutty not Canadian ? 
 

4 years in a row with top prospects wise talent ? 5 if we include Ballou.. I don’t know how you can rule it out completely given that we will scale up development and production, if you need an example we will find more Pepple’s more often and one of them is going to make it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I don’t get the negativity. We’re clearly producing good young players at a high rate through limited scouting.

I could swear there’s a trend here... all of this is on the back of 3 MLS teams, a few private academies and a non existent pathway. The idea is that we will never catch them in our life time is delirium itself. We’ve made strides and are deeper and better than ever without a proper pathway, again I’ll ask what will the CAN PL results bring ? After 2 years I see one kid at Getafe.... not bad for a league hammered by Covid and that young. 
 

that Jebbison kid that England called played soccer in Canada too, with a private academy... didn’t Onduze and that Akinola guy spend some of their soccer careers in Canada ?  We’ve had practically nothing for years and before that there was nothing, if we’re doing this well depth wise and young player wise now, what will we do with more ? 
 

In the 2000 age group the best NA born and trained players are Canadian... will it happen with 2001 ? Who knows, probably not, in the 2002’s is there not a chance for the it with Corbeanu ? In the 2003’s time will tell but are there not Canadians on that list ? In 2004 is Rutty not Canadian ? 
 

4 years in a row with top prospects wise talent ? 5 if we include Ballou.. I don’t know how you can rule it out completely given that we will scale up development and production, if you need an example we will find more Pepple’s more often and one of them is going to make it.

Canada could win more over a cycle than lose vs Mexico - similar to how US did in the early part of this century because of a few good players and others over performing.

But I was talking structurally. Until the football infrastructure and everything culturally around it is in place, it is going to be difficult to do it cycle after cycle. 

Just on the revenue side, Canada Soccer is basically run on a shoestring budget. Nobody is clamouring for Canada tv rights or getting 60k unless Mexico visits. Mexico's tv rights are fought over in two countries. They also get 80k each in about 7-10 friendlies a year paying US$100/ticket.

Over taking Mexico means becoming a consistent top 10 nation. Unless CPL becomes a top 15 league in the world, it means we need to have our starting 11 playing in the top 5 clubs in the top 5 leagues. The second 11 should be playing in a club in a top 5 league or part of Euro Champions League team.

Note that in 98, the US Fed launched a project to win the WC by 2010. They got millions from IMG & Nike but a generation later, they missed a WC and are not ahead of Mexico. They just didn't know what they didn't know about football.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...