2021 Concacaf Champions League

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Another injury for Altidore?

Recovering from vaccination it seems. I got the impression from the broadcast he'd travelled - and surely that meant that plan was to play him.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The final was an entertaining match.  Lots of drama, with plenty of nervous players serving up some spicy meatballs for their own teammates.  The Club America back line was a shambles for the first quarter of the game, with the goal coming off a blunder by defender.  It wasn't the beautiful game, but it was fun to watch anyway.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Concacaf is the poor man of FIFA or has spend priorities different than other confeds.

Thread continues that this why most clubs lose money playing in CCL and Club World Cup ticket is the only succulent prize that keeps them playing. Expect more alt competitions like Leagues Cup if Concacaf doesn't distribute more prize money.

On 7/3/2022 at 6:11 PM, red card said:

Concacaf is the poor man of FIFA or has spend priorities different than other confeds.

Thread continues that this why most clubs lose money playing in CCL and Club World Cup ticket is the only succulent prize that keeps them playing. Expect more alt competitions like Leagues Cup if Concacaf doesn't distribute more prize money.

I found it interesting that they went with the name "Super League", given the backlash over last year's attempted Super League and the connotations of that name.

I'm not quite sure that I buy that the CONCACAF clubs hate playing in Champions League because the prize money is so low.  Rather, it's just that for too many MLS clubs for too long it was seen as very low down in terms of prestige - they'd rather make MLS playoffs than go on a deep CCL run.  That's not the case in all markets, of course.  But I'd definitely say it was the case in some...let's say "less sophisticated" markets.

I'm going to be interested to see what the reaction by everyone is to the Leagues Cup.  There's no reason for clubs not to go for it, since MLS will be shut down.

• 3 weeks later...