2021 Concacaf Champions League

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

They show it as part of these highlights:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/recap-toronto-fc-2-club-leon-1

I would probably put scare quotes around "offside" though. ;)

Honestly, That was a shockingly bad call.  He wasnt even closed to being offside when Bradley played it.  And the header from the Leon player would have put him onside.  The only thing I can think of is both the ref and the linesman thought that it was a TFC player that headed it.  Pretty shocking if they both missed that.  I can see how the linesman may have missed that but then the ref would have seen it and then should have conferred with the linesman. 

1 hour ago, gator said:

I thought as the subs were made and the Canadians were coming out of the match the team lost something, I don't know how much of that was tactical or based on fitness by Armos, there was a fearlessness the way the youngsters played and Leon couldn't get in to their rhythm and play as they wanted from being pressed!  As @Gian-Luca mentioned besides the one defensive header I thought Dorsey was a disaster out there and wouldn't have been surprised if he contributed to a match winner he was so poorly positioned and out of his depth, Fraser's time is up if he wasn't trusted to come in as a sub in this one! Once again it looks huge what we lost for the Olympic Qualifying with the TFC youngsters not available, I think we would have had a shot at qualifying, call me crazy!🤪

I think it’s too early to write Fraser off and let’s not forget he played last week. Dorsey was brutal but Armas is still in evaluation mode, the roster will change through the season as they zero in on who’s in their future. They do want that DP for Poz and let’s be real, Gallardo, Zavaleta, Endoh and one of the CM’s aren’t going to be around much longer given how much they seem to like Signg and what’s on the wings. The center mid is just loaded and there’s more talent coming. (Russell-Rowe)

38 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  I was shocked.  I dont know what kind of side they dressed for this tie but  We’ve seen now a lot of the mexican sides in CCL over the years.  You quickly learn to distinguish the mexican sides from other small clubs in smaller concacaf countries.   In this game i couldnt tell the differnce.    There were some bruttal mistakes and very bad man marking that they committed that lead to TFC goals.   Their quality overall was poor.  

As i said earlier,  happy for the win but cant help but wonder what was up with this team.   

They were thrown off by a bunch of young Canadians pressing them and playing without fear, something they haven't had to deal with in the past, they got more and more frustrated when things didn't go their way!

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lots of critics out there, and I don’t see the league through rose coloured glasses, but I have always maintained that MLS is on track to become an extremely strong league in the next decade or two.  No idea if/when it will join the truly elite leagues but MLS teams are getting stronger all the time.  

Glad we have three clubs in the league.  

I have been saying a few times now that 2023 is when the media deals expire across the league. I feel something big is coming down the line, massive DP signings, what have you. The NHL also recently signed an American TV deal with ESPN that is worth almost half a billion US a year. I think MLS should be able to at least get that come 2023, which would put us a head of LIGA MX a few short years after that once the salaries correct themselves and all the wanna be soccer players like Mullins and Dorsey are rifled out of the league. I think at that point the league will actually live up to its "Major" moniker and the fragmented North American TV soccer consumption will slowly start to amalgamate into MLS being the main league of choice for people's viewership in both Canada and the USA. 

Edited by Macksam

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

I believe Leon are the champions, but this season they are middle of the table or something. Not on good form apparently.

Yes, this team looked a little disjointed, you could see the frustration in the first leg and it continued last night, full credit to the youngsters to have a go at them and not let them get into their rhythm! The next round is going to be very interesting, Cruz are always a very good team and I wonder will it be more of the same from TFC or a different strategy, I would be very hesitant to sit any of the young guys down no matter who is available at that time!

14 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Philly are currently pummeling Saprissa 3-0 in the 2nd leg, 4-0 on aggregate, so unless Real Esteli pulls off a miracle 2nd leg comeback, MLS teams will go 5 for 5 in the first round, which I think is unprecedented (certainly didn't happen last time TFC was in it, and I think Seattle blew it last year.

Came close in 2015-16, when the only MLS team eliminated from the first round was Vancouver in a group with Seattle. At least one of them had to be eliminated (but Vancouver finished behind Olimpia in the group as well). So that year 4 MLS teams made it through, which was the maximum possible based on the draw.

But yes you are correct, going 5 for 5 would be unprecedented.

13 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  I was shocked.  I dont know what kind of side they dressed for this tie but  We’ve seen now a lot of the mexican sides in CCL over the years.  You quickly learn to distinguish the mexican sides from other small clubs in smaller concacaf countries.   In this game i couldnt tell the differnce.    There were some bruttal mistakes and very bad man marking that they committed that lead to TFC goals.   Their quality overall was poor.  

They were missing Joel Campbell big time - even last week he seemed to be the player that posed the most trouble for TFC even though he wasn't the one who scored. But I think Armas outcoached their coach quite significantly or maybe his preferred style just happens to not suit Leon), as they couldn't play through TFC's press and kept trying to do so rather than knock the ball long for a target man and catch TFC short at the back, and that eventually led to turnovers which got capitalized. Even so, some of their passing was woeful in of itself and their man-marking wasn't the greatest either.

And it's not like TFC were at full strength either, not having the reigning MLS MVP in either leg for starters...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, narduch said:

TFC takes on Cruz Azul tomorrow at 10pm ET. Time doesn't make sense.

No fans in Florida as most viewers will be in Mexico City watching on tv who are 1 hour behind EDT. Plus, Concacaf doesn't seem to want matches to overlap.

Edited by red card