2021 Concacaf Champions League

Interesting that they have a HAI1 spot rather than using a CCC spot. That's a good way to ensure any Caribbean teams that qualify via CONCACAF League have an even lower club index. I guess overall the Caribbean is lucky for getting direct entry into the CCL in the first place despite it not being deserved over the Central American nations.

Though it's probably pretty immaterial after CRC1, CRC2, HON1, and HON2 ... as they are probably the only ones with a chance of getting in the top tier.

Especially as this system comes to an end after the 2022 Concacaf League, with 32 CPL/Caribbean/CONCACAF teams qualifing directly to the 2023-24 Champions League rather than 16 to the CONCACAF League and 1 (Caribbean) team to the Champions League.

Edited by nfitz

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Not sure if this is the right spot but just wanted to let the gang know that Tigres are in the final and will play Phonzie and Bayern should they win their game tomorrow.  

Yup first time for CONCACAF to have a team in the final.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:41 PM, nfitz said:

Though it's probably pretty immaterial after CRC1, CRC2, HON1, and HON2 ... as they are probably the only ones with a chance of getting in the top tier.

PAN1 actually spent a bit of time ranked ahead of a Mexican slot a couple years ago, and a portion of that time ahead of a Mexican slot they were also ahead of 2 American slots, if you include their CONCACAF League points for the year they were excluded from the Champions League. They only had 5 points that CONCACAF League season, which is only 1 point more than you get for just being invited to the Champions League, so it had more to do with their Champions League results rather than their CONCACAF League results.

So Costa Rica, Honduras, and Panama all have the near term potential to do well in the CCL, but Central America is losing out on this change (and they lost out on the previous change as well).

But I'll agree with the point I think you were trying to make. Even if the slot was a Caribbean spot rather than Haiti, the Caribbean is very unlikely to earn a spot in the higher pot any time soon.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

PAN1 actually spent a bit of time ranked ahead of a Mexican slot a couple years ago, and a portion of that time ahead ...

Oops - brain fart. Can't forget Panama (even if they aren't there this year). Gosh, have they ever completely missed the Champions League before? Oh, missed last year as well ...

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, narduch said:

I'm wondering if One Soccer will have the non TFC games too.

I hope they will. They need content with CanPL potentially not starting on time or reduced schedule. They have streamed Spanish language productions of LigaMX games when they didn't have access to English or French language streams of those games and I would be happy with that for games that they do not want to pay the price of production by themselves.

6 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I hope they will. They need content with CanPL potentially not starting on time or reduced schedule. They have streamed Spanish language productions of LigaMX games when they didn't have access to English or French language streams of those games and I would be happy with that for games that they do not want to pay the price of production by themselves.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm wondering if One Soccer will have the non TFC games too.

Kurt Larson answering the same question on Twitter: "All of them"

CONCACAF announced today that VAR will be used in the semi finals and finals of the Champions League this year (as well as Nations League and the Gold Cup this summer).

https://www.concacaf.com/news/concacaf-confirms-plans-to-rollout-var-in-2021-club-and-men-s-national-team-competitions/

Ug.

I know that goal line tech is expensive and needs to be installed in a stadium. Is VAR easy enough and portable enough to do anywhere? Or are they counting on certain teams in the CCL to not make it to the semi-finals?

50 minutes ago, spinrack said:

That’s because of stadium quality, not COVID-19 restrictions, right?

Well, that's what they say, but I think it has more to do with the Belize WC team being held at gunpoint a couple weeks ago coupled with the fact that Haiti again seems to be sliding backwards into anarchy, sadly.

The U.S. and Mexico are numbers 1 and 3 in the world in Covid deaths.  Basically, North America has been the hardest hit continent, so I'm good with the restrictions right now, even if it sucks that we can't go to a game yet.

Edited by Trois Reds
wrong information. Fixed