2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Well until someone else has decision making power im not sure who else to single out. Clearly things have changed and I know this to be true but im pointing out the constant hypocrisy of people complaining about waisted tax payer money when we're living thru the biggest theft of tax dollars I can think of

I don't disagree with you, I just see that triggering certain people, which isn't particularly helpful. Perhaps just refer to them as the Federal government?

Sometimes you do things entirely out of pride.  And you shouldn't feel like you need to apologize for that no matter how stupid that thing was.  It's a measure of how you feel about you and yours and the doing let's the whole damned planet know it.

So do it.  Or don't.  Either way you're wearing the decision.  For a long, long, time.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't disagree with you, I just see that triggering certain people, which isn't particularly helpful. Perhaps just refer to them as the Federal government?

Your right but for context I've voted Liberal all but once in my life provincial and federal so I'm not just being a hack. So yah I get this is escapism and people are here to talk footie but when discussing the World Cup in Canada you need to separate it in to 2 thoughts..  how you feel generally in normal context and in the current context. A similar conversation is being had in another forum.. is there money for a stadium right now? No, why? Because we've been throwing money around like Money Mayweather at a strip club. Not because renovating 45 yr old crumbling stadium in what is considered a cultural gem of a city to host the world cup is always a bad idea regardless of the situation 

Edited by SpursFlu

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

If anyone should be singled out its the Premiers in the Coivd-6 provinces.

On the actual topic, I think it would be pretty shitty if we host the World Cup and don't end up with meaningful soccer infrastructure improvements. 

Hosting the World Cup without taking advantage of the opportunity to improve soccer infrastructure, or infrastructure in general, is a complete waste. 

Should we add Newfoundland to the list and make it a Covid-7? It's getting pretty scary there... 

https://vocm.com/2021/03/02/covid-update-march-2/

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think you're getting into dangerous territory here by singling out a particular political party (even if they are to blame). But regardless, nobody should be happy at the direction this country is going. And regardless of what has happened, that some of us on this Canadian soccer supporters form would suggest we should not host the world cup in Canada in 2026 because of tax dollars is a complete U-turn and tells me something has changed.....

Two things have changed for me, I soured on the whole bid when the dreams of Canada 2026 turned into a measly 10 games propping up another USA hosted event and no guarantee of our participation btw although I expect we would be granted that eventually! Then this pandemic thing hit and many people's priorities have changed including various levels of government, I doubt no matter who is steering the ship in Ottawa or the host provinces that spending large coin on sports stadiums is going to be a particlarily popular move in the general public's eye! In Hamilton we bid on the 2010 Commonwealth Games which due to some dodgy voting went to New Delhi India, a bid was being made for the 2030 100th Anniversary of the games which originated in Hamilton, the games committee wanted us to host 2026 virtually no bidding process, there is no interest anymore! I suspect it will be the same for most government funded sporting events going forward, the general public have other priorities!

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Hosting the World Cup without taking advantage of the opportunity to improve soccer infrastructure, or infrastructure in general, is a complete waste.

This seems to be where we are heading though. 

Montreal and Vancouver should be pushing for ways to improve their stadium situations for their MLS squads.

Is there no way to build a 30,000 seat stadium in a CPL city that could be reduced to 15,000ish after the World Cup?

1 minute ago, gator said:

Two things have changed for me, I soured on the whole bid when the dreams of Canada 2026 turned into a measly 10 games propping up another USA hosted event and no guarantee of our participation btw although I expect we would be granted that eventually! Then this pandemic thing hit and many people's priorities have changed including various levels of government, I doubt no matter who is steering the ship in Ottawa or the host provinces that spending large coin on sports stadiums is going to be a particlarily popular move in the general public's eye! In Hamilton we bid on the 2010 Commonwealth Games which due to some dodgy voting went to New Delhi India, a bid was being made for the 2030 100th Anniversary of the games which originated in Hamilton, the games committee wanted us to host 2026 virtually no bidding process, there is no interest anymore! I suspect it will be the same for most government funded sporting events going forward, the general public have other priorities!

With the World Cup moving to 48 teams we can pretty much kiss goodbye ever hosting alone. But we should have demanded more games for the 2026 bid for sure.

Apparently the UK + Ireland are mounting a 5 nation bid for 2030. That seems to be where things are headed 

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

Your right but for context I've voted Liberal all but once in my life provincial and federal so I'm not just being a hack. So yah I get this is escapism and people are but when discussing the World Cup in Canada you need to separate it in to 2 thoughts..  how you feel generally in normal context and in the current context. A similar conversation is being had in another forum.. is there money for a stadium right now? No, why? Because we've throwing money around like Money Mayweather a strip club. Not because renovating 45 yr old stadium to host the world cup is always a bad idea

Agreed. I guess some have been convinced that throwing around money was unavoidable and necessary, while throwing around a small fraction of that is considered waste on a luxury we don't need, which is shocking to hear on a Canadian soccer forum, where you'd expect us to unanimously be in support of the World Cup.

Whatever strange voodoo is causing some diehard Canadian soccer supporters to shrug their shoulders at hosting the World Cup must truly a force to be reckoned with!

1 minute ago, narduch said:

With the World Cup moving to 48 teams we can pretty much kiss goodbye ever hosting alone. But we should have demanded more games for the 2026 bid for sure.

Apparently the UK + Ireland are mounting a 5 nation bid for 2030. That seems to be where things are headed 

Agree and the expansion to 48 teams came after our original interest, 10 games out of 80 is BS, Mexico should feel aggrieved as well, they have most of the infrastructure in place, we were used as a pawn because due to politics it was highly unlikely US was getting this on their own, this is just my opinion of course! 

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Should we add Newfoundland to the list and make it a Covid-7? It's getting pretty scary there... 

https://vocm.com/2021/03/02/covid-update-march-2/

Newfoundland? They had an outbreak at a high school in St. Johns, and have beaten their rate down to about 1/10 of what it was only 3 weeks ago. And one-half of the current PEI rate (which will also be quickly dealth with).

Newfoundland had a higher rate than Ontario, Manitoba, and Alberta 3 weeks ago. In those 3 weeks that Newfoundland has crushed it, Ontario's rate has barely changed, and Alberta's has gone up about 20%. Manitoba's has dropped 20% - (though has done quite well since mid-November when it had the highest rate in Canada!)

Over the course the pandemic, the death rate in Newfoundland is the lowest of any province/territory in Canada where there have been deaths. Only Prince Edward Island and North West Territories are better (where none have died). The death rate is three times higher in New Brunswick, six times higher in Nova Scotia, and 23 times better than BC, the best of the Covid-6. In Quebec (the highest rate in Canada), it's over 100 times higher than Newfoundland.

Edited by nfitz

Just let Toronto host all 10 games. They seem to be the only city that wants it and they have the infrastructure to do it. It would save millions in tax dollars and we all wouldn't have to zig zag across the country to watch the CMNT play. The Tourist dollars would be huge for the city. 

10 minutes ago, gator said:

I doubt no matter who is steering the ship in Ottawa or the host provinces that spending large coin on sports stadiums is going to be a particlarily popular move in the general public's eye! 

Isn't this large coin a drop in the bucket compared to everything else public money is being spent on? 

15 minutes ago, gator said:

I suspect it will be the same for most government funded sporting events going forward, the general public have other priorities!

Like what? Not trying to be snide here. I am genuinely am curious what you mean by that.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Isn't this large coin a drop in the bucket compared to everything else public money is being spent on? 

Like what? Not trying to be snide here. I am genuinely am curious what you mean by that.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I was just watching a premier's news conference where on behalf of their constituents they are asking the feds to contribute another 15% or so to health transfer funds to the provinces, healthcare is a huge topic and that is not going to go away when and if this pandemic is behind us! People see the state of the Long Term Care Homes and the hospitals we are treated in and realize there is a huge problem that needs to be fixed, my answer to your question is in a large part healthcare!

23 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Newfoundland? They had an outbreak at a high school in St. Johns, and have beaten their rate down to about 1/10 of what it was only 3 weeks ago. And one-half of the current PEI rate (which will also be quickly dealth with).

Newfoundland had a higher rate than Ontario, Manitoba, and Alberta 3 weeks ago. In those 3 weeks that Newfoundland has crushed it, Ontario's rate has barely changed, and Alberta's has gone up about 20%. Manitoba's has dropped 20% - (though has done quite well since mid-November when it had the highest rate in Canada!)

Over the course the pandemic, the death rate in Newfoundland is the lowest of any province/territory in Canada where there have been deaths. Only Prince Edward Island and North West Territories are better (where none have died). The death rate is three times higher in New Brunswick, six times higher in Nova Scotia, and 23 times better than BC, the best of the Covid-6. In Quebec (the highest rate in Canada), it's over 100 times higher than Newfoundland.

Newfoundland, PEI and North West Territories are all geographically isolated. Pretty easy to crush it when you are working with that advantage.

At any rate, I was being facetious and just having a little fun. You're right the situation there isn't that bad, but you wouldn't know it if you talked to the people living there.

A school teacher on my Instagram feed was wearing a mask, behind a face shield, with a caption saying "ready for school". 

Seems very excessive for a place that is reportedly doing so well, but maybe that attitude is more responsible than the fact it's an isolated island in the North Atlantic where nobody is travelling to right now....who's to say, right?

Edited by Obinna

7 minutes ago, gator said:

I was just watching a premier's news conference where on behalf of their constituents they are asking the feds to contribute another 15% or so to health transfer funds to the provinces, healthcare is a huge topic and that is not going to go away when and if this pandemic is behind us! People see the state of the Long Term Care Homes and the hospitals we are treated in and realize there is a huge problem that needs to be fixed, my answer to your question is in a large part healthcare!

Yeah maybe healthcare is a priority for the subset of the general public who are still engaged with this stuff.

However, a lot of people have already moved on and are just waiting for the politicians and governments to just get over it and return life to normal.

So don't discount or underestimate that part of the general population!

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Newfoundland, PEI and North West Territories are all geographically isolated. Pretty easy to crush it when you are working with that advantage.

At any rate, I was being facetious and just having a little fun. You're right the situation there isn't that bad, but you wouldn't know it if you talked to the people living there.

A school teacher on my Instagram feed was wearing a mask, behind a face shield, with a caption saying "ready for school". 

Seems very excessive for a place that is reportedly doing so well, but maybe that attitude is more responsible than the fact it's an isolated island in the North Atlantic where nobody is travelling to right now....who's to say, right?

We could all have been isolated islands, if most of our provincial governments weren't so incompetent. Manitoba had it beaten in July. If they'd closed the border to Saskatchewan the way New Brunswick did to Quebec, they might have not had such a rough second wave.

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

My two cents: has nothing to do with bravado or what the 100 or so on here want. 

Putting up huge money for Olympics/World Cups is less popular than they have ever been.  And with all the debt that governments are piling up due to Covid, this is not a vote getter and that’s what counts for governments.  

Do you think this is a Canadian phenomena specifically? 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah maybe healthcare is a priority for the subset of the general public who are still engaged with this stuff.

However, a lot of people have already moved on and are just waiting for the politicians and governments to just get over it and return life to normal.

So don't discount or underestimate that part of the general population!

I disagree.  Healthcare is a priority for more than a subset of the general population.  I’m a long time Voyageur and healthcare is more of a priority to me than our national teams.

3 minutes ago, nfitz said:

We could all have been isolated islands, if most of our provincial governments weren't so incompetent. Manitoba had it beaten in July. If they'd closed the border to Saskatchewan the way New Brunswick did to Quebec, they might have not had such a rough second wave.

The operative word here is "geographic".

Sure, you could turn Manitoba to a functional island if you put checkpoints at every road entry into the province, but that's a much, much, much, harder sell in a supposedly free country like Canada. The Atlantic Ocean on the other hand is a natural checkpoint.

It's comparing apples and oranges.

48 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Just let Toronto host all 10 games. They seem to be the only city that wants it and they have the infrastructure to do it. It would save millions in tax dollars and we all wouldn't have to zig zag across the country to watch the CMNT play. The Tourist dollars would be huge for the city. 

I don't think that's possible because FIFA mandates a certain number of off days to allow the grass to recover.

I think 2 stadiums with 5 games each is pushing it already.

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions