2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yes, there's certainly regionalism in Canada. I don't think America is a good example of it not hampering them right now. But settling that aside, part of my point was that its not that Canada couldn't co-host the tournament, it's that it has no interest in doing so. The unifying factor is that people don't want to do it.

I am not entirely convinced of that. If we never wanted to host we wouldn’t have put our hat in the ring to begin with. This is clearly something we want, but the problem is our inability to pull it off. That’s where our regionalism hurts us. Instead of being singularly focused as a nation on achieving the thing we committed to, we now have certain groups pulling in the opposite direction, in typical Canadian fashion.

45 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am not entirely convinced of that. If we never wanted to host we wouldn’t have put our hat in the ring to begin with. This is clearly something we want, but the problem is our inability to pull it off. That’s where our regionalism hurts us. Instead of being singularly focused as a nation on achieving the thing we committed to, we now have certain groups pulling in the opposite direction, in typical Canadian fashion.

To me this idea of regionalism as a driving force (not just your take) is a misread on the situation.  The US state system is far more fragmented and atomic than our federal-provincial system of governance.  Each state is a complete island unto itself in the US and their national-level governance is far less integrated and collaborative than our federated system.  

The issue isn’t about some deep seated political and geographic fragmentation. It is that the last year has seen record-shattering spending to address the world’s worst pandemic in a century.  Economies have been crippled, deficits are ballooning, and the prospects/timelines for recovery are not yet clear.  Spending on things like future sports tournaments is (rightly) viewed as somewhat frivolous luxuries in times like this.  

I will say my it again.  No one should take the things being said about a WC bid right now as gospel. Politicians need to make sure that people feel confident that the health care systems and our economic prospects are recovering before they can start to discuss luxury projects.  Anything else would be political suicide. 

19 hours ago, Ansem said:

If we are ever to host a world Cup, it will have to be

1. Federal Government leading it and being prepared to front MOST of the bill
  2. Solo did - so most provinces sees benefits which would encourage them to pull together and help pay the bill
  3. CPL & CFL growth leading to bigger, better and more venues

Now we know that you need 14 to 16 venues for a 48 team world Cup. We'll need like 5 brand new ones within the next 25 years on top of existing ones that are expandable and can be upgraded/renovated.

Can we get there in the 2040s?

I think with the move to a 48 team World Cup the ship has sailed for Canada ever hosting alone.

I still think the best way forward for 2026 is using only 2 cities and giving them 5 games each. Unless there is a way to negotiate more games in Canada. But the US would never go for that.

Edited by narduch

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

To me this idea of regionalism as a driving force (not just your take) is a misread on the situation.  The US state system is far more fragmented and atomic than our federal-provincial system of governance.  Each state is a complete island unto itself in the US and their national-level governance is far less integrated and collaborative than our federated system.  

The issue isn’t about some deep seated political and geographic fragmentation. It is that the last year has seen record-shattering spending to address the world’s worst pandemic in a century.  Economies have been crippled, deficits are ballooning, and the prospects/timelines for recovery are not yet clear.  Spending on things like future sports tournaments is (rightly) viewed as somewhat frivolous luxuries in times like this.  

I will say my it again.  No one should take the things being said about a WC bid right now as gospel. Politicians need to make sure that people feel confident that the health care systems and our economic prospects are recovering before they can start to discuss luxury projects.  Anything else would be political suicide. 

Yes and no, because draped over all of their fragmentation is an Americanism that transcends it all. Canada may be more uniform in some ways, but from my perspective our regionalism is often stronger than our nationalism, which can sometimes be our Achilles heal.

Regionalism aside, I agree with you about why our governments are unwilling to commit to world cup spending right now. It certainly is not politically convenient. I get it.

The pandemic is a reality we cannot ignore, but I don't  think we should use it as an excuse. The pandemic affects the USA and Mexico as well, yet we don't see stories casting doubt on these other co-hosts.

You just have to find ways around it, just like Mexico and the USA presumably are. It's a tough situation, but for a variety of reasons we find ourselves in tough more than our neighbors.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

We know how to pull it off - been there. done that with Women's World Cup & u20 men's WC in this century.

But with a 48 team field and higher requirements for a men's World Cup, CSA knew we don't have the stadium infrastructure to pull it off alone. 

For the US, because of the NFL and college football, they don't need to ask for too much government involvement. Though, many of these NFL stadiums were built by billionaire owners blackmailing local governments. In Canada, we don't have this deep billionaire class and the populace isn't as keen in seeing their taxes used for pro team stadiums.

And given what we have seen in the US in the past decade, they are way more divided than Canada way beyond the regionalism front.

I find it so strange that people have been hypnotized in to thinking hosting a couple soccer games is somehow a bad thing. With the amount of money we waist in this country on complete crap that brings no joy or benefit to anyone. But 55 thousand people having a blast watching football at BC Place is offensive? 

Edited by SpursFlu

On 1/28/2021 at 9:44 PM, ShaneC06 said:

I know Toronto is basically a slam dunk, but 45,000 people in BMO field is going to be a shit show. Good luck, and it might need another renovation. 

Why has 40,000 previously at BMO Field been not an issue, but 45,000 is a shit show, especially given the infrastructure improvements (both completed and already planned) since they had 40,000.

I don’t think we will withdraw from this.  If we do, we can kiss goodbye ever hosting the Olympics (winter or summer).  Our reputation would be completely damaged and our credibility when bidding for anything seriously undermined. The federal government will ultimately recognise that. The World Cup is the largest global event other than perhaps the summer Olympics. 

8 hours ago, spinrack said:

Honestly, I'm not crying about Canadian cities pulling out of their hosting commitments.  Being a hosting city has always had questionable benefits.
The real tragedy is that pulling out could lead to our team losing its automatic berth in the tournament.

I can see a lot of benefits to soccer in Canada by Canada hosting 10 games. Even if it just inspires a few kids to keep playing soccer and produces a couple of future solid national team players it will have done it’s job. Moreover, the exposure it will bring the game in Canada will be money well spent. We all seem to want soccer to have a bigger footprint here in Canada. We all want Canada to produce better players a more successful men’s national a successful and lasting coast to coast pro soccer league. Something that can help bring success to all these above mentioned wants like hosting even 10 World Cup games and some on here think that losing the chance to host these World Cup games is not a big deal ? Let’s hope like some have stated on here that due to the present conditions with the Covid situation no smart politician right now wants to come out supporting giving money to something other than fighting this Covid pandemic, but that hopefully once this is over these politicians come out in support of the World Cup in Canada in 2026 and we get to keep cohosting the World Cup for soccer’s sake here in Canada.

10 hours ago, An Observer said:

I don’t think we will withdraw from this.  If we do, we can kiss goodbye ever hosting the Olympics (winter or summer).  Our reputation would be completely damaged and our credibility when bidding for anything seriously undermined. The federal government will ultimately recognise that. The World Cup is the largest global event other than perhaps the summer Olympics. 

I don't think the Olympic committee will care.  They've had enough problems finding reasonable host candidates the last few cycles. Tthe next Winter Olympics is in Beijing because the Olympic committee basically begged them to bid after the only other candidate was Uzbekistan.  Further, this withdrawal (if it actually happens) doesn't really impact FIFA, as the US and Mexico would still have cities involved.

15 hours ago, nfitz said:

Why has 40,000 previously at BMO Field been not an issue, but 45,000 is a shit show, especially given the infrastructure improvements (both completed and already planned) since they had 40,000.

one thing for sure is they have to build a second underground tunnell for the trains at the exibition stop because even with onlt 20000 its still a pain to get tothe train after a game

And by the way we can still hold the world cup with a decrepit Big O, ancient Commonwealth stadium and renta stand BMO. It will still be fun and awesome. The only thing is the rest of the world will tune in and think what the hell is going on? Is this Canada or Honduras? If people don't mind being an embarrassment I dont care. I just want football 

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

one thing for sure is they have to build a second underground tunnell for the trains at the exibition stop because even with onlt 20000 its still a pain to get tothe train after a game

The plan is for three tunnels. There's huge changes coming when they add the new Ontario line subway platforms there ... though it won't be open yet in 2026.

But even the early works contract that they are tendering now has two big improvements. First, they'll (finally) complete that new northern entrance to the existing tunnel, which will increase capacity, which is currently bottlenecked by the stairs to the current westbound platform.

And they are adding a pedestrian bridge.

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/content/ontario-line-early-works-exhibition-station

22 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

And by the way we can still hold the world cup with a decrepit Big O, ancient Commonwealth stadium and renta stand BMO. It will still be fun and awesome. The only thing is the rest of the world will tune in and think what the hell is going on? Is this Canada or Honduras? If people don't mind being an embarrassment I dont care. I just want football 

Unfortunately, the stadium standards that FIFA has set make this impossible.

17 hours ago, narduch said:

It was called the National Soccer Stadium for the U-20 in 2007.

Also for the Women's U-20 in 2014.

In 2015 it was called "Exhibition Stadium" for the Pan-Am Games (probably because it hosted Rugby Sevens, so calling it a soccer stadium would be confusing).

• 3 weeks later...
  • VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions