2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

11 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

any chance of vancouver being re-considered ended on october 24th of last year.

we pretty much have a new, world-class stadium here, all we'd have to do is put in grass for a month, ffs.

So good to see you here, Johnny.  Agreed...Vancouver made so much sense.

Why not have Toronto have BMO Field and Rogers Centre as World Cup stadiums? You could easily convert Rogers Centre into a soccer stadium for World Cup and it isn't like Rogers doesn't have the right amount of seating because they do and it is a dome stadium. During the FIFA World Cup, you could open the Dome up or you close it. Either way it is also a perfect stadium to use.

38 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Why not have Toronto have BMO Field and Rogers Centre as World Cup stadiums? You could easily convert Rogers Centre into a soccer stadium for World Cup and it isn't like Rogers doesn't have the right amount of seating because they do and it is a dome stadium. During the FIFA World Cup, you could open the Dome up or you close it. Either way it is also a perfect stadium to use.

If they can figure out how to get a playable grass surface there and maybe spruce the place up some I think Rogers Centre would be an adequate venue....

1 hour ago, mrstepp817 said:

If they can figure out how to get a playable grass surface there and maybe spruce the place up some I think Rogers Centre would be an adequate venue....

The Jays will soon be building a new stadium but I don’t think they’ve finalized whether it will be at the current location or somewhere else, but the Sportsnet article I read here: https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/report-rogers-centre-demolished-new-downtown-toronto-stadium/ seems to suggest they are leaning towards the current property.  Even if the plans for demo/reconstruction could be coordinated with the timing of the WC, why would Rogers play nice with the soccer people / FIFA unless given financial incentives?  I just don’t see Rogers Centre being approved because even in football configuration the sight lines are poor for soccer.  Who nixed it in from consideration in the first place?  Our bid committtee or FIFA?

1 minute ago, TOcanadafan said:

The Jays will soon be building a new stadium but I don’t think they’ve finalized whether it will be at the current location or somewhere else, but the Sportsnet article I read here: https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/report-rogers-centre-demolished-new-downtown-toronto-stadium/ seems to suggest they are leaning towards the current property.  Even if the plans for demo/reconstruction could be coordinated with the timing of the WC, why would Rogers play nice with the soccer people / FIFA unless given financial incentives?  I just don’t see Rogers Centre being approved because even in football configuration the sight lines are poor for soccer.  Who nixed it in from consideration in the first place?  Our bid committtee or FIFA?

I think there's a lot of moving parts on that deal....I probably won't believe until they actually demo Rogers Centre...which brings up another non-soccer point...if Rogers Centre was demo'd and a new stadium rebuilt on the current site...where would the Jays relocate to?? Montreal? Buffalo?? 

19 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

I think there's a lot of moving parts on that deal....I probably won't believe until they actually demo Rogers Centre...which brings up another non-soccer point...if Rogers Centre was demo'd and a new stadium rebuilt on the current site...where would the Jays relocate to?? Montreal? Buffalo?? 

I could see Buffalo for a year or two. I mean they've already done that. 

Love this topic and wish we could get an investigative journalist covering. 
fifa demands are crazy.  Montreal not allowed to host any other event around the World Cup tax breaks and maybe hundreds of millions to fifa even before the repair of the stadium.  Swiss law etc.  Grant Wahl mentioned also.  What happens if more cities start baulking at costs. ?

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/international-soccer/2026-fifa-world-cup-in-vancouver-back-on-premier-seems-to-suggest-so

the above article confirms that Vancouver is seemingly back in.   But what i note in that article is this quote:  “ (Edmonton, another candidate to host, is also considered questionable.)”

i am not surprised by this at all.   if it was going to cost the reportly 50-150 mill to upgrade the the Big O, then you gotta figure that that would have been mostly the turf.  And that those same costs would have applied to Commonwealth upgrades needed.   Also, the fifa technical report that i posted a few page back noted some other issues with the Edmonton bid.

Edited by Free kick

12 minutes ago, Free kick said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/international-soccer/2026-fifa-world-cup-in-vancouver-back-on-premier-seems-to-suggest-so

the above article confirms that Vancouver is seemingly back in.   But what i note in that article is this quote:  “ (Edmonton, another candidate to host, is also considered questionable.)”

i am not surprised by this at all.   if it was going to cost the reportly 50-150 mill to upgrade the the Big O, then you gotta figure that that would have been mostly the turf.  And that those same costs would have applied to Commonwealth upgrades needed.   Also that fifa technical report that i posted a few page noted some other issues.

There is ALOT wrong with the Big O. 50 - 150 Million is definitely not mostly Turf.

I'm happy Vancouver is back in and I hope it works out but Montreal wants to pretend it's a world class city 

and then they (THE PQ LITE PROV GOUV.) pulls a stunt like this. What a embarrassing joke.😨   They don't care to much about the city of Mtl (don't get too many votes I guess)

Edited by MtlMario

12 minutes ago, johnyb said:

There is ALOT wrong with the Big O. 50 - 150 Million is definitely not mostly Turf.

Yeah. I think your right. I think i read somewhere that its actaully not equiped for modern telecomunications equipment and usage. Such as internet and the like.    Recall that the expos left around the time that internet usage really took off.  And before there was prevalent Wifi.

Edited by Free kick

On 7/9/2021 at 2:15 AM, Ruud said:

Love this topic and wish we could get an investigative journalist covering. 
fifa demands are crazy.  Montreal not allowed to host any other event around the World Cup tax breaks and maybe hundreds of millions to fifa even before the repair of the stadium.  Swiss law etc.  Grant Wahl mentioned also.  What happens if more cities start baulking at costs. ?

I think its a little bit of both.  There is that element of sleezyness on FIFA’s part.  But at the same time, you have to equally blame the naive and greedly local and provincial authorities looking for any kind of free lunch without any kind of commitment.  All the while not realizing that they are dealing with an entity that owns a powerful brand in the world which means they can call the shots.  These people obviously dont realise that this event is the biggest on the planet and the reason its the biggest on the planet is because of the sport. 

If you simply google and read some what out there from local authorities and organizers (In canada)on this topic you hear adjectives like this:  economic boost, exposure for the city, benefits for tourism… etc hardly no mention of soccer or the excitment this event brings or even its value specifically.  Where else in the world would we see these kind of responses.  They view it as just another sports event,  only bigger.  So i am not surprised that the slightest uptick on one side of the ledger,  means that they quickly walk away.

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I think its a little bit of both.  There is that element sleezyness on FIFA’s part.  But at the same time, you have to equally blame the naive and greedly local and provincial authorities looking for any kind of free lunch without any kind of commitment.  All the while not realizing that they are dealing with an entity that owns a powerful brand in the world which means they can call the shots.  These people obviously dont realise that this event is the biggest on the planet and the reason its the biggest on the planet is because of the sport. 

this is why i'd still be surprised (but thrilled) if vancouver actually is back in, horgan doesn't want to relinquish control.

With the very real possibility that cruise ships will be avoiding BC for the foreseeable future and since there was no good reason in the first place to say no. I think its pretty obvious Vancouver will host. 

I'll even add a touch of spice.. the real question... will this mean a new stadium not in Vancouver but in Surrey?

54 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

With the very real possibility that cruise ships will be avoiding BC for the foreseeable future and since there was no good reason in the first place to say no. I think its pretty obvious Vancouver will host. 

I'll even add a touch of spice.. the real question... will this mean a new stadium not in Vancouver but in Surrey?

Spice and Surrey....I see what you did there 🤤

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

No. There's no desire to build a stadium there. Arena yes, stadium no.

Edit: You actually probably don't even want a stadium there. If the province built it, it would be because they're selling BC Place and using those funds to build it. And they wouldn't build it without ensuring they had tenants for it, which would be the Lions and Whitecaps. So if a stadium was built there, you'd actually be moving the Whitecaps out to the general area people want a CPL team.

Edited by Watchmen

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Is there time and is there really need ?  Mind you plenty of land value in the current stadium if it means tearing one day and building anew

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

Mostly the roof actually.  The cost of tearing it all down is around 250 million with some suggesting upto 400 !  But could get some new housing developments there in around the existing infrastructure.  Maybe a bit of mixed use and a bit of density around the biodome and Saputo stadium with a few pubs, live music venue etc. 

4 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Mostly the roof actually.  The cost of tearing it all down is around 250 million with some suggesting upto 400 !  But could get some new housing developments there in around the existing infrastructure.  Maybe a bit of mixed use and a bit of density around the biodome and Saputo stadium with a few pubs, live music venue etc. 

The new roof in Vancouver was about $400m.

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions