2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

Rogers Centre may not exist in 5 years.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/report-rogers-centre-demolished-new-downtown-toronto-stadium/

Hopefully Vic can wake up the politicians in Vancouver and get them back onboard.  BC Place is a beautiful stadium in a beautiful city.  It's the type of scene I want the world to see.

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/2026-fifa-world-cup-bid-evaluation-report.pdf?cloudid=yx76lnat3oingsmnlvzf

I dont know if anyone ever posted here the above report from FIFA.   The interesting stuff starts at page 200 of the 224 page report.  It lists the evaluation of the various sites and the scores that FIFA attributed to each city based on selected criteria.   This was done at the time of the bid, so its old.    But it does reveal that there are some challenges to overcome with respect some of the Canadian cities.   Accomodations and Transportation scores stand out as a negative for Edmonton.  As far as stadiums, we should have all known that that it would take a massive amount of montreal to upgrade the Big O.  Basically,  it doesnt look at all like there are any negatives with TO.   So I would’nt be surprised if if Vancouver comes back in.  

Edited by Free kick

Just now, Free kick said:

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/2026-fifa-world-cup-bid-evaluation-report.pdf?cloudid=yx76lnat3oingsmnlvzf

I dont know if anyone ever posted here the above report from FIFA.   The interesting stuff starts at page 200 of the 224 page reports.  It lists the evaluation of the various site and the scores that FIFA attributed to each city based on selected criteria.   This was done at the time of the bid, so its old.    But it does reveal that there are some challenges to overcome with respect some of the Canadian cities.   Accomodations and Transportation scores stand out as a big delta for Edmonton.  As far as stadiums, we should have all known that that it would take a massive amount of montreal to upgrade the Big O.  Basically,  it doesnt look at all like there are any deltas with TO.   So I would’nt be surprised if if Vancouver comes back in.  

What would have changed for Vancouver to come back in? I don't know the exact details on what they were unhappy about but surely FIFA won't be making any financial concessions for them.

What i find hypocritical about the Quebec government’s decsion to pull out is that only a few years ago they went and financed (for some 400 mill) the NHL arena in Quebec city that will never get an NHL hockey team.  Hence a big white elephant,  even the most ardent proponents of an NHL team in Quebec city are now seeing it as pipe dream.  

Whereas,  the Big O upgrades would be a fraction of what they threw at the hockey arena and they would have been be certain of a return of some sort in the form of increased tourism and sales tax revenues.    The hockey arena, on the other hand, will get virtually 0% ROI.  

Edited by Free kick

25 minutes ago, frmr said:

What would have changed for Vancouver to come back in? I don't know the exact details on what they were unhappy about but surely FIFA won't be making any financial concessions for them.

I think that they wanted some sort of guarantees from fifa.  Which was kind imposible.  I recalled thinking at that time that they were being petty and trivial..   ideology might had soemthing to do with it.  

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

What i find hypocritical about the Quebec government’s decsion to pull out is that only a few years ago they went and financed (for some 400 mill) the NHL arena in Quebec city that will never get an NHL hockey team.  Hence a big white elephant,  even the most ardent proponents of an NHL team in Quebec city are now seeing it as pipe dream.  

Whereas,  the Big O upgrades would be a fraction of what they threw at the hockey arena and they would have been be certain of a return of some sort in the form of increased tourism and sales tax revenues.    The hockey arena, on the other hand, will get virtually 0% ROI.  

The cost to renovate the Big O would almost certainly not be "a fraction" of the cost for that new arena. The cost to renovate BC Place for the 2025 WWC was $500 million, and it still doesn't meet the standards for the men's version.

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

They should just spend the money and be done with it. Interest rates are at record lows, so now is the time to spend on infrastructure. What are they waiting for? Build back better, as creepy Joe and JT would say.

They're waiting for there to be enough interest in hosting the world cup to make it worth their while. And from the average person, the interest just isn't there. So, they're not going to bother doing it.

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The cost to renovate the Big O would almost certainly not be "a fraction" of the cost for that new arena. The cost to renovate BC Place for the 2025 WWC was $500 million, and it still doesn't meet the standards for the men's version.

From what i have been reading in the past hour or so in online quebec media pieces.   The figures that they threw around were no where near 500 mill. For the big O.    I keep reading 150-300 mill tops.  .  And that was not the issue.  The issue was that infamous non-compete clause.  

The non comptete clause would mean that some of the very popular and lucrative summer events would have had to be cancelled in order to comply with the fifa non compete clause.  Like the F1 race, the jazz festival, just for laughs etc etc. etc.   the argument made that it wouldnt have been worth it for just three games.   

recall,  the reason that toronto was not able get any games in the womens WC in 2015 was because of this non compete clause.  That was on the same summer that the Pan am games were held.

Edited by Free kick

8 minutes ago, Free kick said:

From what i have been reading in the past hour or so in online quebec media pieces.   The figures that they threw around were no where near 500 mill. For the big O.    I keep reading 150-300 mill tops.  .  And that was not the issue.  The issue was that infamous non-compete clause.  

The non comptete clause would mean that some of the very popular and lucrative summer events would have had to be cancelled in order to comply with the fifa non compete clause.  Like the F1 race, the jazz festival, just for laughs etc etc. etc.   the argument made that it wouldnt have been worth it for just three games.   

I'm not disputing that's what you read, but I have no idea how the Quebec media thinks that's how little it would take to bring the Big O up to FIFA standards. That seems ludicrously naive on their part.

As for the 2nd part, yeah. I could see why if you already have 3 major events in your city why you wouldn't want to disrupt them for 3 games.

On 7/5/2021 at 11:21 PM, Free kick said:

From what i have been reading in the past hour or so in online quebec media pieces.   The figures that they threw around were no where near 500 mill. For the big O.    I keep reading 150-300 mill tops.  

I am always skeptical of those kinds of numbers.  They usually balloon pretty rapidly in a significant way.

Edited by BearcatSA

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

As for the 2nd part, yeah. I could see why if you already have 3 major events in your city why you wouldn't want to disrupt them for 3 games.

Yes.  This one in particular does give me (for the first time) some food for thought.  I have always been a huge proponent for hosting or co hosting the WC for as long as i have been posting here.  But now that its a watered down 48 team event with sixteen groups of three, that means our cities are only going to get three F’ing games.  Hmmm. Thats could end up being one side from Oceania, one side from africa and maybe a mid power from south america.   Even i,   might not be interested in paying top dollar to go watch some of these side or some of the other less heralded sides that you might get in a newly waterred down 48 team competition.  As for the economics, how many people  would travel from, say, New Zealand and Algeria to spend money here for this event?  The potential of german and western european tourists are good for business but we cant say the same for the majority of the other countries in the planet.  

i was very happy with the package i got for the 2007 U20 WC.  It included the Can-Chile group game, a quarter final game, a semi final game, and the final.  Getting something like that wont be possible in 2026..

Edited by Free kick

If it were a simple plug and play scenario (e.g. existing facilities are ready to go with no additional investment required) it would be simple and straight forward.  But if you are asking cash strapped governments (from all levels) to chip in to overbuild infrastructure for 3 games, I understand why cities and provinces are saying forget it.  Never mind the non-compete clause...

Can Canada get away with claiming to be a WC host with a group based in Toronto, a group at the training facility in Florida and another where we typically host the camp poutine?

Academic but I've be wondering for a while now, if the Big Owe had been bulldozed 10 years ago would there be something else on the site by now?  A revenue generating something that might include a more reasonably sized stadia?

Sometimes stuff just had to go to move forward.

Edited by Cheeta

Then if Montreal is still going to be a host city, then in that case why not have Stade Saputo host games? Stade Saputo could instantly be renovated just like what they are going to do for BMO Field. BMO Field is set for expansion renovation for 2026 to add more seating. So I can't see why they can't do the same for Stade Saputo and do a complete renovation.

This bid was always stupid for Canada. And its weird watching it fall apart in slow motion.

If Montreal is not going to use the Big O for the goddam World Cup they really should just tear it down.

Also wanted to reiterate another point. If 'hosting' the World Cup doesn't lead to added infrastructure that benefits soccer than what was the point of even hosting? I'm talking about improved stadia and training facilities. 

to me this is so stupid, you have a potential of a beautiful 60 Thousand plus stadium that could be the best stadium in Canada. Let’s say it cost 600 million to upgrade the stadium, everyone knows the federal government is going to put half or more into it. I have been reading on Avg a NFL stadium generates anywhere between 200 to 400 million a year of revenue. 

between events 

NHL outdoor classic

cirque du Soleil

Huge concerts like Celine Dion for a weekend and others

FC Montreal games, maybe move the team into the new stadium? 

Rugby matches ( maybe host a World Cup with Toronto and Ottawa)

Track and Field diamond series

Team Canada matches vs some big boys like england or France etc. Also host the gold cup , Youth World Cups , Women’s matches 

UFC events - the return of GSP hahah 

WWE events 

Religious Events 

maybe even host the Olympics again.

that’s just basic stuff 

the potential is amazing!!! 

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions