CPL Stadiums 2021

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

I'm laughably afraid to ask, but . . . does anyone know if the hydro pole is *still* next to Westhills Stadium? 

No, it’s not. It’s next to Starlight Stadium now, and the city wants to put a cell tower next to it

https://www.vicnews.com/news/new-cell-tower-proposed-for-westhills-stadium-in-langford/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://www.vicnews.com/news/langford-sells-stadium-naming-rights-for-500000-to-starlight-developments/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I think the CPL needs all its teams to play in smaller stadiums for now , with all due respect to the Valours and Forges of the world playing in full smaller stadiums like in Calgary , Halifax and in Victoria watching a game from a packed Halifax stadium just gives the TV viewer a better look than watch from an empty stadium in Hamilton, Winnipeg and Ottawa . It just gives it that this is the place to be feeling , when watching a game from a packed stadium where Cavalry for example play.  I’m hoping York United renovated stadium looks even more intimate with the new renovations , if they for example can start packing them in eventually that will be a nice place to watch a game .

If we could slice off a half of the lower bowl of IG Field and transplant it, including the roof and amenities, into a different venue I'd be all for it.  That would be outstanding.  And agree that would do wonders for the match day experience.  However.

That's not going to happen and nobody is building a 8-10K venue in Winnipeg on anything but the cheap and a cheap ass stadium for Valour would be a dead end for the team in this town.  The greater public just wouldn't take that serious.  They'd be handicapped by the 1st impression.   So oversized IG Field it is.

And to be honest on the good nights its still a very good experience.  LOL, even when it's on the thin side like it was a few times in 2019 it was a hoot in the 'stand, you know just because anybody who was there were the most invested.  LOL, sure it looked like Hell on the broadcasts though.   

11 hours ago, Aird25 said:

. . . so not only is the hydro pole still there, but this whole situation might get even worse? 

*facepalm*

11 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

. . . so not only is the hydro pole still there, but this whole situation might get even worse? 

*facepalm*

I’m afraid so, but it doesn’t make any sense to me. It’s home to Canada Rugby, will host Canada soccer and the stadium just received the biggest sponsorship deal in Langford history, yet it’s still an unwatchable product on TV. It’s a decent in game experience but they need to sort the camera angle out, and finish the stands.

11 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

*facepalm*

So...Victoria has a chance on getting Pacific?

I recall Clanachan being annoyed with the pole to the point of talking "relocation"

13 hours ago, Ansem said:

So...Victoria has a chance on getting Pacific?

I recall Clanachan being annoyed with the pole to the point of talking "relocation"

I think when Clanachan referenced "relocation", that's not the city he had in mind.  Maybe the city of Victoria is more willing to negotiate on Royal Athletic Park, but I'm not sure the team would get as favourable terms as in Langford.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think when Clanachan referenced "relocation", that's not the city he had in mind.  Maybe the city of Victoria is more willing to negotiate on Royal Athletic Park, but I'm not sure the team would get as favourable terms as in Langford.

Would have thought the naming rights deal being for five years with options for further extension shows Pacific FC are staying at Westhills Stadium for the foreseeable future regardless of what happens with the pylon.

2 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I agree and how hard is it to build some sort of platform for the cameras?

They did build platforms for the cameras. The problem was they could not encroach too closely to the wires so the height was limited. 

Hmmm, if they can't move the hydro pole could they make it taller? Nah, I'm sure someone already considered that. ;)

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Would have thought the naming rights deal being for five years with options for further extension shows Pacific FC are staying at Westhills Stadium for the foreseeable future regardless of what happens with the pylon.

1) I don't think the team is moving because of the pole. It was clearly a bit of a bluff by Clanachan to get something going on it.

2) If they were going to relocate, the naming rights to the stadium wouldn't be something that stops them, since that would be a city issue. And Starlight would have build contingencies in to the naming rights if something did happen.

I don't think the "pole issue" is something that the league can just let go. We're talking about MediaPro and their attempt to resell those rights.

Crappy angles can't be tolerated for the long term. That's why the league got "agressive" on it. It's messing with its top partner's ability to make more money.

That's not great for the club either as Starlight Stadium games won't make the top of the list of games to be featured on national TV.

The pole thing needs to be address sooner rather than later because if CPL got any kind of guarantees about that pole and things are dragging, better believe that relocation will be on the table

Edited by Ansem

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If they were going to relocate, the naming rights to the stadium wouldn't be something that stops them, since that would be a city issue.

Pacific would be turning down approximately 450,000 in revenue by moving. They apparently get 85% of the deal.

The cost to move the powerlines would be substantially more than that though, as were the costs to build the stadium and training facility as far as I'm aware. 

Edited by Aird25

11 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Pacific would be turning down approximately 450,000 in revenue by moving. They apparently get 85% of the deal.

The cost to move the powerlines would be substantially more than that though, as were the costs to build the stadium and training facility as far as I'm aware. 

Then they have lots of lobbying to do...

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Then they have lots of lobbying to do...

It's brought up all the time, and I think it's in BC Hydro's hands. I'd honestly just move the main camera to the other side, and have a secondary camera pointed back towards the fans. Until it's proven that the new stand is needed at least. Being able to follow the play is far more important than showing the crowd in every shot. There are plenty of opportunities for that on replays and alternative angles. 

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

If another city is trying to entice them to move, that's something you negotiate with the new city/stadium. But since I don't think they're moving it doesn't matter.