2021 CPL Season General News

narduch

I will say that I always expected the 2nd season to have fewer fans in the stands than the first season (although I didn't expect 0!). It's reasonable to expect a downturn, just like what happened with MLS (it took like 15 years or something for it to get back to year 1 levels). Throw in the pandemic with restrictions and a nervous public not sure if they will be safe from dangerous illness or safe from judgement from others if they go to a game, and I would say it's not too bad at this point.

7 hours ago, Stanley said:

How could the CPL teams possibly market this season in a decent enough way, when nobody knew if they would be allowed fans in the stands?  Of course attendance was going to take a hit.

Even myself who goes to almost every home TFC game this year has only gone to 1 of the games since fans were allowed back in. I was able to get tickets for each but I just didn't go. I am not scared of the virus, not bothered by any extra precautions, I think my life habits have just changed while being stuck in my house for a year. I spend a lot more time around my house with my kids and their friends in the neighbourhood.

7 hours ago, Stanley said:

How could the CPL teams possibly market this season in a decent enough way, when nobody knew if they would be allowed fans in the stands?  Of course attendance was going to take a hit.

Believe most clubs had less than a month to sell their first home match.

Probably explains why Atletico will be the last team to play at home. To give them time work on sales.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Even myself who goes to almost every home TFC game this year has only gone to 1 of the games since fans were allowed back in. I was able to get tickets for each but I just didn't go. I am not scared of the virus, not bothered by any extra precautions, I think my life habits have just changed while being stuck in my house for a year. I spend a lot more time around my house with my kids and their friends in the neighbourhood.

I heard someone call this caveman syndrome.  People have been in their caves with cave families for a long time, we arent too interested in taking long walks across the savanna anymore eh

QFF2-620x265.png

I'm a huge homer obviously, also horribly affected by recency bias on Irving -who was fantastic last night. 

MacNaughton is a great story. I watch most of the PFC matches and he's a real talisman back there. To come out of UofT with no fan fare whatsoever and be one of the most capped player thus far in the league is a real testament to what has been accomplished in the CPL.

I thought those open trials were going to be a joke and that the league would be mostly MLS cast offs and/or NCAA grads. The fact that the USports/League 1 guys have done so well really speaks to an origin myth in Vs history: that the high level amateur game in Canada has always been strong. That's why Lukas gets it. And I'm a big homer, as mentioned.

On 8/19/2021 at 7:10 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Steve Sandor's take of the current state of play with CanPL:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/episode-25-which-canadians-are-destined-for-a-big-transfer/id1556087248?i=1000532291990

{1:01:30-1:09:00}

also being discussed in some depth on Reddit:

Just look at the CEBL and what they are doing with the Edmonton Stingers. Probasketball has failed so many times in Edmonton market and they have just buzz.

They have made attending a game an experience or event. Just clean social media content and posts, concerts .. casuals are talking about the final tmr. 

Right move. I know this will turn off some fans and prevent some from going if they're not already fully vaccinated/unable to get a test in time, but hopefully it'll be reassuring enough for those who are that they feel more comfortable getting back to the match. I imagine the rest of the league will follow suit fairly quickly. 

Edited by m-g-williams

38 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Right move. I know this will turn off some fans and prevent some from going if they're not already fully vaccinated/unable to get a test in time, but hopefully it'll be reassuring enough for those who are that they feel more comfortable getting back to the match. I imagine the rest of the league will follow suit fairly quickly. 

This was coming and in my opinion it was the right move by the club, it will hurt attendance slightly but I would imagine a vast majority of fans are vaccinated, this may be what keeps fans in the stands! In the 3 matches I have attended I notice good compliance of masking in the concourse, most fans, myself included take their masks off when they get to their seats, this should add another layer of reassurance!