2021 CPL Season General News

narduch

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Ummm, I'm in MB, but I am still happy to see WPG in my rear view mirror.  If that makes you feel better.  

The urban/rural devide.  A defining characteristic of 'toba.

Cheeta;

"Hey, car shows are back on.  You coming out to Garden City this fall or what?"

Diesel Abe;

" I don't even like going into Winkler you think I'm going into Winnipeg?  Forget it.  You drank their "cool aid" didn't you?  You're so called "vaxed".  You coming out to the pig-roast in September?  Everyone missed it last year."

Cheeta;

"Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.  "Their cool aid" eh?  You'd have to hold a gun to my head to get me to drive out there at the best of times.  You think I want to be blinded by all your tin foil hats?  Burn my retinas."

Diesel Abe;

"The gun I can arrange.  And what do your people call them?  Pyrizhky?  And some farmers sausauge on the bar-b-que.  And maybe a little Saskatoon wine."

Cheeta;

"Maybe I could borrow a tent?"  

9 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Not really news, but just for info. Good to see VW more publicly supporting the sport/league, and interesting to see a TSN reporter involved. 

Heartwarming story in that YouTube link (and a bit of Vs trivia at the 3:50 mark).

Interesting snippet of info for those interested in how the league roster rules work:

https://northerntribune.ca/forge-fc-woobens-pacius/

Just hours ahead of of Forge’s match against Atletico Ottawa, the reigning Canadian Premier League champions announced the signing of CF Montreal Academy forward Woobens Pacius...The Canadian Premier League now sees half of its club exceeding the 23 man roster capacity, with head coaches specifying that developmental contracts leave some wiggle room in terms of exceeding the cap. While it’s not immediately clear if Pacius signed on a full contract or not, the full roster regulations guiding the league remain somewhat of a mystery to fans at large.

The Hamilton-based side has now signed 28 players throughout the course of the 2021 Canadian Premier League season, ...

11 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Interesting snippet of info for those interested in how the league roster rules work:

https://northerntribune.ca/forge-fc-woobens-pacius/

Just hours ahead of of Forge’s match against Atletico Ottawa, the reigning Canadian Premier League champions announced the signing of CF Montreal Academy forward Woobens Pacius...The Canadian Premier League now sees half of its club exceeding the 23 man roster capacity, with head coaches specifying that developmental contracts leave some wiggle room in terms of exceeding the cap. While it’s not immediately clear if Pacius signed on a full contract or not, the full roster regulations guiding the league remain somewhat of a mystery to fans at large.

The Hamilton-based side has now signed 28 players throughout the course of the 2021 Canadian Premier League season, ...

Over on the Forge thread they are just commenting on two players who have Forge minutes this season, but now are back with Sigma, in this case. 

So first, let's not say they have signed 28 and not say if they have 28 presently on the roster. Which they don't.

And let's not insinuate a club cannot sign short-term contracts, because if I recall correctly, Pacific had to sign a keeper, think from Highlanders, in the first season, for reasons of cards or injury, don't recall. As any club in the league should be able to do. Any club in the world does this for reason of injury, as long as the player is unattached or transfers can be negotiated. 

How many of the 28 signed are not on the roster now? if northerntribune  and @Ozzie_the_parrotcan do the work and construe on one end, they can do it on the other. 

No idea what the insinuate stuff is all about. Being able to call up the best local amateur or semi-pro players on an extended trial is something that should be happening regularly in a league like CanPL. The apparent (there is a lack of transparency on these issues) 2019 scenario of rigidly sticking to 23 with only emergency goalkeeper callups happening didn't make much sense. The concern might be that it advantages teams from the larger cities but ways can no doubt be found to address that.

47 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Weird how we are almost half way through and it feels like we just started.

Disappointed by how slow things are going in the stands, I really underestimated the reaction of fans going back to stadiums.

I'm wondering if the success of both National teams has sucked a bit of the life out of the CPL.

I know it's  not the same thing as watching a match in person but I have watched a lot of soccer since the beginning of June

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Weird how we are almost half way through and it feels like we just started.

Disappointed by how slow things are going in the stands, I really underestimated the reaction of fans going back to stadiums.

You think it's been bad? 

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

You think it's been bad? 

It's tough to know, I'm not sure what restrictions are going on at each venue, but for what it's worth, each team has lower average attendance so far than they did in 2019. The Ottawa home opener is looking promising though. Hopefully they remain strong attendance wise after the opener as well.

45 minutes ago, Kent said:

It's tough to know, I'm not sure what restrictions are going on at each venue, but for what it's worth, each team has lower average attendance so far than they did in 2019. The Ottawa home opener is looking promising though. Hopefully they remain strong attendance wise after the opener as well.

Looks like Calgary and Halifax have announced the same attendances for all their games, implying both Alberta teams are operating at half but still utilizing 100% of the capacity like mentioned by another V in the attendance thread. Pacific is chugging along like normal and York is still to be determined. Forge look like they have taken a slight hit though.

Lower announced attendance doesn't necessarily mean fewer people in the stands. I suspect in Hamilton in particular it only means fewer unused freebie tickets are being distributed so far this year.

They should have managed expectations better so people wouldn't wind up seeing this level of crowds as a letdown. Paul Beirne and David Clanachan were way too bullish about it and the anticipated rate of future expansion.

What we are seeing right now is a significant enough step forward from the CSL era in most markets (Edmonton is the one I'd be most wary of stating that) for pro soccer to no longer look like a hopeless lost cause somewhere like Calgary. 

Halifax is well beyond what could reasonably have been expected and provides investors with a reason to believe there is going to be light at the end of the tunnel.