2021 CPL Season General News

narduch

On 7/5/2021 at 3:19 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I'm barely watching the Euros now as the thought of England winning is too awful to even contemplate having grown up in Scotland at a time when they wouldn't shut up about 1966 on the BBC and would show Geoff Hurst's extra time goals for the most spurious reasons.

Must suck currently with all the Canadian media going on about the Canadiens.

17 hours ago, narduch said:

Not sure what the reason is.

At first I thought this meant they weren't going to play tonight. But I guess it's just a time change for a game that was scheduled on the 18th.

22 hours ago, nfitz said:

Must suck currently with all the Canadian media going on about the Canadiens.

Haven't followed the Leafs closely since it became easy to watch overseas soccer so have largely tuned the NHL out at this point. Easy to follow your own interests nowadays. The problem with the BBC is that a lot of their presenters don't understand the difference between England and Britain and start talking about we and us where the England team is concerned. It's hard to think of a Canadian parallel to that.

Just as Everton fans would be unlikely to welcome Liverpool being referred to as we and us on a shared local Liverpool area broadcaster and will tend to want their main rival to lose against foreign opposition, Scotland fans very much prefer to remember Scotland beating England 3-2 at Wembley in 1967 to constantly being reminded about England's greatest triumph.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Kent said:

At first I thought this meant they weren't going to play tonight. But I guess it's just a time change for a game that was scheduled on the 18th.

They should move this Sunday's first match. Right now half an hour of it conflicts with the Euro final

On 7/7/2021 at 2:43 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The problem with the BBC is that a lot of their presenters don't understand the difference between England and Britain and start talking about we and us where the England team is concerned. It's hard to think of a Canadian parallel to that.

Actually, the Canadian parallel is pretty easy to point out. With the overwhelming majority of English-language media in Canada headquartered in Toronto, most national news coverage is told through a very Ontario-centric lens. The Globe and Mail, CTV News, CBC News Network, etc. all tend to provide less "national news coverage" than they do "Ontario coverage of news across the country". Some networks/media outlets are better than others for ensuring that regional and local news is actually covered by regional and local staff through a regional and local lens, to be certain. But I can't tell you the number of times I've rolled my eyes at people trying to push an Upper Canadian view on an issue as "the Canadian perspective". 

There's a similar phenomenon for French-language media having a very Quebec (and Montreal specifically) centric lens, which I would say is a bit more understandable given the difference in demographics. But certainly equally frustrating for anyone outside the major metropolis. 

Edited by m-g-williams

Will post in here rather than a needless new thread.. hardly news but what is up with the refereeing this year? It has been atrocious in comparison to last year and even year one. Poor offside calls, missing foul throws, missing horrible tackles, odd decisions. It's been really poor imo. Standard simply has to be better.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Will post in here rather than a needless new thread.. hardly news but what is up with the refereeing this year? It has been atrocious in comparison to last year and even year one. Poor offside calls, missing foul throws, missing horrible tackles, odd decisions. It's been really poor imo. Standard simply has to be better.

I think part of the problem is that you need to find refs willing to live in a bubble for 5 weeks.

On 7/7/2021 at 2:43 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The problem with the BBC is that a lot of their presenters don't understand the difference between England and Britain and start talking about we and us where the England team is concerned.

Not sure what BBC you are watching, but it's clearly not BBC Scotland. I'd assume you are watching or listening to a BBC service from England?

On 7/11/2021 at 12:53 AM, Raven said:

Hopefully I'll be able to put my season tickets (Pacific FC) to good use....any weekday games are out for me.

I did a quick review of the calendar and they need to fit in 20 matches in about 16 weeks. So they would only need a few mid-week games.

There are some rumblings of the Voyageurs Cup starting back up to. Which may mean more mid-week games.