2021 CPL Season General News

narduch

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

I know he was listed number 1 pick on the canpl website mock draft. Would make a bit of a mockery of the draft in my opinion considering he has been available for nothing and everyone has passed the first two years. He was in the Foothills team prior to season one wasn't he?

Yeah he was with Foothills the year they won the PDL Championship I believe. I don't see him going first overall, but like I said earlier, would not be surprised to see him or Gardner (unless Pacific picks him a third time) go as Edmonton's second pick given the Koch connection if they are still available

Re: 2026 World Cup if somehow Canada pulls out of hosting any games due to no government funding this will be a huge blow to soccer in Canada and could indirectly be a major negative for the CPL. Hopefully I’m wrong and even if Canada has to pull out it won’t have any real negative effect on soccer in Canada or the CPL.

12 hours ago, mtlsab said:

no. it is not included in the deal

How can you be so confident in stating that given the lack of transparency about league operations? It's not so long ago, even though it should have been obvious that the numbers would not add up in budgetary terms, that it was close to an article of faith on here that there were going to be $1.5 million player salary budgets making top end salaries above the MLS minimum viable.

Three years on and the median salary is about 22k according to the players association and the league isn't competing in any tangible way with the three MLS franchises on signing domestic Canadian players. Reality rather than aspiration dictates what actually unfolds. Losing WC 2026 co-hosting would be a major change in circumstances from what was envisaged when the Mediapro deal was signed. Mediapro would need to have lousy contract lawyers not to have had a clause inserted related to that contingency.

Hopefully it all gets sorted out because Montreal looked like the Canadian venue most likely to be suitable on capacity for later round games. I seriously doubt FIFA will want anything to do with Commonwealth Stadium's running track format, so the focus was likely to be mainly on Montreal and Toronto after Vancouver dropped out.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

How can you be so confident in stating that given the lack of transparency about league operations? It's not so long ago, even though it should have been obvious that the numbers would not add up in budgetary terms, that it was close to an article of faith on here that there were going to be $1.5 million player salary budgets making top end salaries above the MLS minimum viable.

Three years on and the median salary is about 22k according to the players association and the league isn't competing in any tangible way with the three MLS franchises on signing domestic Canadian players. Reality rather than aspiration dictates what actually unfolds. Losing WC 2026 co-hosting would be a major change in circumstances from what was envisaged when the Mediapro deal was signed. Mediapro would need to have lousy contract lawyers not to have had a clause inserted related to that contingency.

Hopefully it all gets sorted out because Montreal looked like the Canadian venue most likely to be suitable on capacity for later round games. I seriously doubt FIFA will want anything to do with Commonwealth Stadium's running track format, so the focus was likely to be mainly on Montreal and Toronto after Vancouver dropped out.

Cause the world cup TV rights are owned by FIFA, not by CSB

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It’s amazing how many times you choose to have the same argument 

13 hours ago, mtlsab said:

Cause the world cup TV rights are owned by FIFA, not by 

Well aware of that and so were Mediapro and CSB, so that's irrelevant. Part of the package CSB handed over to Mediapro up to 2029 is all CMNT home games. Losing out on 2026 co-hosting would make a significant difference to what was agreed contractually between the parties because the value to Mediapro of that part of the package changes significantly over the next few years if there is no automatic 2026 participation as co-host.

https://mediaprocanada.tv/en/news/mediapro-and-canadian-soccer-business-seal-10-year-partnership

...The suite of rights includes the global and domestic media rights to the Canadian Championship, which in 2019 will expand to feature 13 teams from coast to coast competing for the right to play in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League. The rights also include all media rights for all home games of Canada Soccer’s Men’s and Women’s National Teams. Mediapro will also acquire the media rights to all League1 Ontario matches as it looks to expand the footprint of soccer in Canada...

The value to Mediapro of CanPL and Canadian Championship rights over the course of the contract could also be adversely affected if the WC2026 related boost to interest in domestic soccer is smaller than anticipated in the absence of games played in Canada and if the CMNT fails to participate. The CSA helped CanPL in an USSF-MLS/SUM sort of way by giving it the ability to tie its broadcast package into what the national team would be doing in the run up to and aftermath of 2026. It is highly likely that a 2026 co-hosting was gauranteed to Mediapro at that time.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4303540/will-mls-owners-lock-players-out-where-labor-negotiations-stand-between-the-league-and-union

This article suggests that MLS players could be let out of their contracts so they could play elsewhere. There were a flurry of loan moves in the last couple of days. I personally believe this CBA negotiation is a cover for the fact MLS doesn't want to play

Will we see MLS Cancon playing in CPL this year? Would be amazing 

For all intents and purposed, they didn't start the MLS season until July last year (July 8, plus all teams had played one game in March).

They could simply do this again, and play a 24-game schedule instead of a 34-game schedule, and avoid the empty stadiums (hopefully).

Good for playing in Europe until the end of their season. But if MLS ends up doing that, I don't see CPL playing before July - so no benefit.

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

may 22nd. it could easily be delayed if they dont get approval for some fans in the stands. 

Maybe but the issues between CPL and MLS are much different. The MLS relies on more revenue than the CPL does. MLS has a much bigger overhead. Obviously CPL wants fans in the stands but MLS at the best of times looses a lot more money. Super wealthy owners who are probably looking at their giant portfolio and saying where can I save money right now and that little MLS team is likely standing out. I doubt they want to play. Too big of a headache, they're likely to park it but to save face say its a made up issue

Edited by SpursFlu

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Maybe but the issues between CPL and MLS are much different. The MLS relies on more revenue than the CPL does. MLS has a much bigger overhead. Obviously CPL wants fans in the stands but MLS at the best of times looses a lot more money. Super wealthy owners who are probably looking at their giant portfolio and saying where can I save money right now and that little MLS team is likely standing out. I doubt they want to play. Too big of a headache, they're likely to park it but to save face say its a made up issue

if the mls locks out then im pretty sure i read players are free to sign anywhere. theres no way they lockout imo if you have teams losing assets. imagine TFC lost pozuelo, ayo, osorio etc thats over 20 million dollars right there. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

if the mls locks out then im pretty sure i read players are free to sign anywhere. theres no way they lockout imo if you have teams losing assets. imagine TFC lost pozuelo, ayo, osorio etc thats over 20 million dollars right there. 

I think those type of players will be retained. Sent out on loan or whatever they can do. Every team has a handful of players they could easily let go then bring back or whatever. In the article I included it said specifically players could ask to be let out of their contract if they had an opportunity elsewhere. I think that type of cooperation could allow the 2 to come back together once the MLS starts again. So to your point maybe a Puzeolo type wants to be in Toronto, they have a real conversation with him, he goes signs somewhere for 6 months or a year and then signs back. 

A lot of MLS teams are owned by other sports teams. NFL etc. Those team's revenues help fund the MLS team but now those big brother funds have been turned off

Edited by SpursFlu

7 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think those type of players will be retained. Sent out on loan or whatever they can do. Every team has a handful of players they could easily let go then bring back or whatever. In the article I included it said specifically players could ask to be let out of their contract if they had an opportunity elsewhere. I think that type of cooperation could allow the 2 to come back together once the MLS starts again. So to your point maybe a Puzeolo type wants to be in Toronto, they have a real conversation with him, he goes signs somewhere for 6 months or a year and then signs back. 

A lot of MLS teams are owned by other sports teams. NFL etc. Those team's revenues help fund the MLS team but now those big brother funds have been turned off

Ayo is being paid peanuts and is a free agent at the end of the year. If he is free to sign anywhere next week im sure he would get a HUGE raise and theres no way he could comeback even in the summer for TFC due to the salary cap. 

52 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Ayo is being paid peanuts and is a free agent at the end of the year. If he is free to sign anywhere next week im sure he would get a HUGE raise and theres no way he could comeback even in the summer for TFC due to the salary cap. 

Sell him

12 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

CPL is starting in May. I think that was already announced 

Is there any league in North America that hasn't missed an announced start date recently? Even if so, it would be the exception not the rule.

Though we are all speculating.

3 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Is there any league in North America that hasn't missed an announced start date recently? Even if so, it would be the exception not the rule.

Though we are all speculating.

NHL, NBA, March Madness looks set to go

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Sell him

Can't sell him to Europe until 1 July. Where else is Akinola going to be willing to go? If MLS defaults on its contract obligations to him, he can void the contract and sign on a free transfer, which will net him more than just an increased salary. He can pocket a decent signing on fee, since the new club won't have to pay a transfer fee.

54 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Can't sell him to Europe until 1 July. Where else is Akinola going to be willing to go? If MLS defaults on its contract obligations to him, he can void the contract and sign on a free transfer, which will net him more than just an increased salary. He can pocket a decent signing on fee, since the new club won't have to pay a transfer fee.

Something for MLS owners to think about I guess? Just like everything else.

If the players get "locked out" or whatever they'll call it. The most interesting aspect of this will be exactly what we're talking about. What happens to contracts and what options do players have to go get paid somewhere to play football 

And just people understand, the reason I feel this way is if you read what the players are willing to give up from an agreement they just negotiated its pretty outrageous and the owners seem to not think its enough. Thats why I get the sense the owners aren't negotiating in good faith. I think they just don't want the league to operate under the current circumstances 

Edited by SpursFlu

36 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Something for MLS owners to think about I guess? Just like everything else.

If the players get "locked out" or whatever they'll call it. The most interesting aspect of this will be exactly what we're talking about. What happens to contracts and what options do players have to go get paid somewhere to play football 

And just people understand, the reason I feel this way is if you read what the players are willing to give up from an agreement they just negotiated its pretty outrageous and the owners seem to not think its enough. Thats why I get the sense the owners aren't negotiating in good faith. I think they just don't want the league to operate under the current circumstances 

The same ESPN article you posted here also said it would be incredibly damaging to the league if they did sit out, and would set them back considerably. I think the owners will see how much the can squeeze from the players, but they'll still play.