2021 CPL Season General News

narduch

21 minutes ago, Cblake said:

...Forge averaged 6,588 fans in 2019, 25% of Tim Horton's Field is 5,804...

Tickets distributed and tickets scanned can be two very different things. None of the Ontario CanPL clubs are likely to have an issue on a 25% capacity limit for league games if actual crowds are similar to 2019 levels. Ditto Winnipeg and Edmonton. Halifax would definitely be a major problem on that type of restriction though, while Calgary and Langford crowds would usually be problematic on weekends but might get away with it on weeknights.

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Tickets distributed and tickets scanned can be two very different things. None of the Ontario CanPL clubs are likely to have an issue on a 25% capacity limit for league games if actual crowds are similar to 2019 levels. Ditto Winnipeg and Edmonton. Halifax would definitely be a major problem on that type of restriction though, while Calgary and Langford crowds would usually be problematic on weekends but might get away with it on weeknights.

I know TFC's announced attendance is scans, with over 20,000 season tickets, they have announced crowds for some cup matches far below that. Not sure what CPL does?

Have to be fully vaxed, but no mask mandate.

Season pass holders the priority but you'll be paying for your tickets as The Kickoff fixtures were refunded as it was expecting they wouldn't be public events.

Getting my 2nd jab end of the week so missing out a bit, but still.  It's something!

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

Well that's certainly promising, and it should liven up the games. Hopefully that total isn't representative of what percentage of total capacity other teams will be allowed though

It's not. Every city/province sets their own guidelines.

43 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Well that's certainly promising, and it should liven up the games. Hopefully that total isn't representative of what percentage of total capacity other teams will be allowed though

Forge are selling 25% capacity for their home Concacaf League game on August 4.

Even the linked article mentions that they could increase capacity from the initial 6% in Winnipeg.

BC to allow 10% fan attendance for Olympic basketball qualifiers for games starting July 1st. Hopefully not a sign of things to come with Step 3 for BC starting July 1st for Pacific FC. Should be a higher percentage, at least 25%, for outdoor stadiums imo. Apparently no discriminating as to vaccinated/un-vaccinated fans allowed in. Masks mandatory except for eating/drinking or if you have an excemption.

Team Canada to get boost from fans in stands at Olympic men’s basketball qualifier in Victoria

If the Canadian men’s basketball team is going to make it to the Olympics, they will do so with an assist from the hometown crowd.

70c8fc80

Just days before the Olympic men’s basketball qualifier tournament is set to start at Victoria Memorial Arena, B.C. Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has approved an exemption to the province’s capacity limits.

Edited by CDNFootballer

So with the confident Valour win I wondered if playing at home was a factor. Now, if they are going to see fans which will mostly if not all be supporting them, will that also give them a bit of an edge?

Another interesting question: will that limit of fans be also met for matches not featuring Valour? Will they try to do some deal to get fans to watch matches when the home team is not playing? I mean, I'd go see any CPL team, and maybe many here would say the same. But not sure if there are that many footie fans in Winnipeg for a Pacific-HFX match. 

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So with the confident Valour win I wondered if playing at home was a factor. Now, if they are going to see fans which will mostly if not all be supporting them, will that also give them a bit of an edge?

Another interesting question: will that limit of fans be also met for matches not featuring Valour? Will they try to do some deal to get fans to watch matches when the home team is not playing? I mean, I'd go see any CPL team, and maybe many here would say the same. But not sure if there are that many footie fans in Winnipeg for a Pacific-HFX match. 

Good question. I'd be surprised if the non-Valour matches get anywhere close to the 2000 allowed, but maybe there are enough people itching to watch live sports again in this city. I'd imagine the match days are being sold as doubleheaders, which might fill the seats a bit for a few of the games.

Pretty small % of Winnipeg qualify for admission just yet, by the end of July it'll be much higher so we'll have to wait and see. 

Not sure pushing the doubles will achieve a bunch with attendance, Maybe if Valour are the late match, but doubt it.

What will help attendance is a good start by Valour and it's very possible that will happen.  Also expect to see the admission limit increase rapidly if patterns hold.

45 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Pretty small % of Winnipeg qualify for admission just yet, by the end of July it'll be much higher so we'll have to wait and see. 

Not sure pushing the doubles will achieve a bunch with attendance, Maybe if Valour are the late match, but doubt it.

What will help attendance is a good start by Valour and it's very possible that will happen.  Also expect to see the admission limit increase rapidly if patterns hold.

Is that legal? If so very disappointing 

In BC they announced you will not need a corona pass to get in to games

Edited by SpursFlu

56 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Not sure about pretty small %. I think the double-vaxxed percentage for Manitoba as of June 23rd (so + 2 weeks by July 7) was about 30% (higher in Winnipeg, lower outside). I wouldn't call that pretty small, exactly. That said, the double-vaxxed numbers skew older than the Valour fanbase. Few kids would be likely to attend the early matches and no under 12s would be able to attend at all.

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Is that legal?

Why wouldn't it be legal? Stores can refuse entry to customers for not wearing shoes or shirts, so how is this any different?

(I'm not asking for this thread to devolve into a COVID argument, by the way. I'm genuinely answering your question — with two questions)