2021 CPL Season General News

narduch

I can't remember if this was already posted somewhere or not, but I just finished watching this and it's great. It's got me more excited for the start of the season.

It's 48 minutes, so you have to carve out some time if you are interested in watching it.

This is great news once the Ontario teams return to their home stadiums. Ontario is moving to Step 2 of re-opening next Wed. June 30th.  "Outdoor sport facilities with spectators permitted at 25 per cent capacity" are part of this stage. The first league, the Intercounty Baseball League has announced there season will kick-off July 5th. Welland for instance will have 710 spectators in the stands, 25 % capacity. This is a good sign for the CPL's return to their home markets. 

6 minutes ago, Cblake said:

This is great news once the Ontario teams return to their home stadiums. Ontario is moving to Step 2 of re-opening next Wed. June 30th.  "Outdoor sport facilities with spectators permitted at 25 per cent capacity" are part of this stage. The first league, the Intercounty Baseball League has announced there season will kick-off July 5th. Welland for instance will have 710 spectators in the stands, 25 % capacity. This is a good sign for the CPL's return to their home markets. 

Yep, Forge already acknowledged this.

I haven't seen it myself, but people are saying Ontario moving to stage 2 means 25% capacity for sporting events. With that in mind, what is the status of all the CPL provinces by the time the Kickoff is done? Alberta I believe is opening up in July, does that mean 100% capacity crowds are planned to be allowed? What about BC, Manitoba, and Nova Scotia?

I think the first sporting event in Ontario was last night, the Ottawa CEBL team played at TD place, I don't think they had any fans though they were trying to get permission to have 500 fully vaccinated health care workers at the game. 

So will be game on for Atlético, hopefully by August with more than 25% capacity.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

19 hours ago, Cblake said:

Ahhh of course it would be Welland to jump the gun first. My cousin plays for the Jackfish and I'm pretty sure their normal attendance is around 800 so 25% capacity shouldn't be abnormal for them 😆

Nonetheless, sounds promising. By the time the CPL is out of the bubble, a whole lot more of us Ontarians (and hopefully myself) should have their second shots.

2 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Ahhh of course it would be Welland to jump the gun first. My cousin plays for the Jackfish and I'm pretty sure their normal attendance is around 800 so 25% capacity shouldn't be abnormal for them 😆

Nonetheless, sounds promising. By the time the CPL is out of the bubble, a whole lot more of us Ontarians (and hopefully myself) should have their second shots.

I went to a few Jackfish games two years ago and I would say 800-1000 is about right.  I believe their attendance was quite good for the IBL. Played golf with a Jackfish player on Sunday (coincidence, got paired up with him and his dad).  Believe he is retiring though.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

I went to a few Jackfish games two years ago and I would say 800-1000 is about right.  I believe their attendance was quite good for the IBL. Played golf with a Jackfish player on Sunday (coincidence, got paired up with him and his dad).  Believe he is retiring though.

Just now, SoccMan said:
1 hour ago, Ivan said:

That’s really good attendance 800 to 1000 for that level baseball, which is kind of equivalent to League 1 Ontario in soccer, unfortunately when I was helping out with a League 1 team in 2019 all the places we played including our home games was basically family and friends maybe 40 to 50 people is the most I ever saw .

48 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

That’s really good attendance 800 to 1000 for that level baseball, which is kind of equivalent to League 1 Ontario in soccer, unfortunately when I was helping out with a League 1 team in 2019 all the places we played including our home games was basically family and friends maybe 40 to 50 people is the most I ever saw .

There's a reason OHL junior hockey is largely played outside of the GTA even though a significant portion of the players are from there. You need to be in smaller regional cities like Welland to successfully market something like that as an event so hockey moves its top prospects to where people will pay to watch them play. Will be interesting to see how the Barrie team does in L1O and if they can draw crowds comparable to what the Thunder Bay Chill can attract in PDL

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

5 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I figured that, guess they could get more for some weekend games. In reference to the CPL, Forge averaged 6,588 fans in 2019, 25% of Tim Horton's Field is 5,804. As for Ottawa the Fury averaged 4,555 and TD Place at 25% capacity is 6,000. York is a different story being in a smaller stadium.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

I haven't seen it myself, but people are saying Ontario moving to stage 2 means 25% capacity for sporting events. With that in mind, what is the status of all the CPL provinces by the time the Kickoff is done? Alberta I believe is opening up in July, does that mean 100% capacity crowds are planned to be allowed? What about BC, Manitoba, and Nova Scotia?

Manitoba hasn't announced a capacity limit for its professional teams. Their statement was something to the effect of being willing to work with teams running outdoor professional sporting events in order to make things work. Frankly if fans are allowed at all, I'd be surprised at any limit lower than 25%. Likelier would be no limits but all fans must prove vaccination using the province's immunization card (available at 2 doses + 2 weeks).

I'm more interested in whether they allow fans for the bubble. I don't really see the point, but not my problem.