2021 CPL Season General News

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You didn’t receive criticism because of any specific piece of content you were posting. People reacted that way to you because of the way you chose to interact in this forum.  That is what made you th

So, remember the early years of TFC and MLS when the young Canadian homegrowns were making 15K and we were criticizing their pay?  In less than 10 years, the homegrown salary is now 50-60K which is ve

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

According to this, the PacificFC deal with Starlight for the stadium is the biggest naming rights deal in CPL. 

The article does a good job reviewing naming rights of sports facilities in Victoria, but also in CPL. 

And mentions, relevant for the recent report, that Royal Athletic Park in Victoria has naming rights when baseball is played there, but only when the Harbourcats play.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/starlight-era-begins-at-langford-stadium-1.24307041

$85k a year for Pacific.

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

$85k a year for Pacific.

I thought other reports said it was 100k, but maybe that is the total, and part goes to the city of Langford?

Still, 85k gives you 3 contracts, or two stronger players. It is 10% of roster cost.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I thought other reports said it was 100k, but maybe that is the total, and part goes to the city of Langford?

Still, 85k gives you 3 contracts, or two stronger players. It is 10% of roster cost.

Yeah, it's a $100k a year for 5 years, with the city retaining 15% of it.

I'm sure others here will disagree with me on this, but I don't think this kind of urging is beneficial. Even if 80% of people have their first dose by Canada Day - which would be an incredible accomplishment -, it's still only 80% of people with their *first* dose. There have been plenty of recorded cases in Canada of people letting down their guard after their first shot and then ending up in the ICU. If the CPL tries to go straight to stadia for the entirety of a shortened season, I'd be worried we'd see yet another spike/wave this summer which could seriously gum up the gears. I'd much rather see a bubble to start and take the time to move to stadia when it's safe to do so. 

48 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I'm sure others here will disagree with me on this, but I don't think this kind of urging is beneficial. Even if 80% of people have their first dose by Canada Day - which would be an incredible accomplishment -, it's still only 80% of people with their *first* dose. There have been plenty of recorded cases in Canada of people letting down their guard after their first shot and then ending up in the ICU. If the CPL tries to go straight to stadia for the entirety of a shortened season, I'd be worried we'd see yet another spike/wave this summer which could seriously gum up the gears. I'd much rather see a bubble to start and take the time to move to stadia when it's safe to do so. 

The UK already proved this. They didn't just vaccinate their way out. They also used tougher restrictions than what some Canadian provinces have done. Besides they are way ahead of us on 2nd doses.

I'm just frustrated that NHL teams have been allowed to continue playing across the country, and some CPL teams (just the Ontario ones maybe?) still aren't allowed to even train. There are just as many players on a hockey team, and no doubt NHL teams have more staff than CPL teams, and they are playing/training indoors which is riskier than outside. It's frustrating.

But the CPL probably can't just bet on being able to play in home stadiums. It's probably safer to plan for a bubble to buy some time rather than waiting for authorization for just a bit longer, just a bit longer, just a bit longer, all summer long.

16 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm just frustrated that NHL teams have been allowed to continue playing across the country, and some CPL teams (just the Ontario ones maybe?) still aren't allowed to even train. There are just as many players on a hockey team, and no doubt NHL teams have more staff than CPL teams, and they are playing/training indoors which is riskier than outside. It's frustrating.

But the CPL probably can't just bet on being able to play in home stadiums. It's probably safer to plan for a bubble to buy some time rather than waiting for authorization for just a bit longer, just a bit longer, just a bit longer, all summer long.

I've assumed that the volume of testing the NHL teams have been doing in order to meet what's acceptable to the provinces is beyond the economic reality of what the CPL teams can afford.

But yeah, I assume the bubble is easier to plan around than the authorization for cross country play.

It does feel like the season will kick off the 1st few weeks (at least) in a bubble before dispersing the teams to their home grounds.  Which really shouldn't be that hard to get working I'd think.

IG Field has been brought up more than once, sure Wade Miller and Co. would be flexible so long as the rent was getting paid.  If June/July stretched into August then well, just keep making yourself at home.

We accept VISA, MasterCard, debit, Bitcoin....

38 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I've assumed that the volume of testing the NHL teams have been doing in order to meet what's acceptable to the provinces is beyond the economic reality of what the CPL teams can afford.

But yeah, I assume the bubble is easier to plan around than the authorization for cross country play.

That has been my best presumption as well, but the Canucks still managed to have something like 25 COVID cases in their team and then they can get back into it when they are better. Do we think the CPL teams will have worse outbreaks than that?

1 hour ago, Kent said:

That has been my best presumption as well, but the Canucks still managed to have something like 25 COVID cases in their team and then they can get back into it when they are better. Do we think the CPL teams will have worse outbreaks than that?

I mean, from listening to the Canucks players and staff - it was a truly awful experience that you wouldn't want to go through, period. And some of them haven't been the same since. So "worse"? Probably not. The same? Possible (not probable, but possible), and that's still something the league probably wants to avoid.

Posted (edited)

I just don't get why a bubble format as a backup wasn't planned for in the first place. This was always going to be a possible outcome, so why are we still scrambling and delaying start dates.

Any one of these players could have pulled a hamstring at the start of last season, and not played a game for 20 odd months because of a short term injury. These kids need games

Edited by Aird25
1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Hahaha.. do any of you people own a TV set?

People's heads are so far up their ass they're gonna have to stick their arm our their mouth to get vaccinated 

I can't piece together a picture of that second sentence. That's some Klein bottle action or something.

8 hours ago, red card said:

It looks like we'll be good for a summer start. The projections show Canada's share of population vaccinated with 1 dose will match the US in 11 days, the UK in 22 days and Israel in 31 days. 75% vaccinated with 1 dose by July. 

Via site from UofC econ prof:

https://trevortombe.github.io/covidgraphs/int_proj

I am sure others are closer to this than me but the reasons that the US and UK started to come down after high rates of 1st vaccinations is that one, they started to have people needing to get their second vaccine so I suspect that Canada will have the same issue and the .8% of the population per day for first vaccinations is probably not sustainable and second, once you start reaching 50%, you started getting to the point that the vaccine resistant or anti-vaxxers start coming into play.  This is where statistics can be very misleading especially projecting current rates.  Plus looking at the current steepness of the Canadian curve equates to the steepness of the UK and US curves 1 to 2 months ago which leads me to believe we will still are that far behind them or maybe only a little less for the reasons i stated above.

40 minutes ago, Kent said:

I can't piece together a picture of that second sentence. That's some Klein bottle action or something.

Kudos....a successful use of the term Klein bottle in a sentence deserves post of the week award.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Kudos....a successful use of the term Klein bottle in a sentence deserves post of the week award.  

Thanks. I thought it fit well, but it's probably too niche to gain mass appeal.

13 hours ago, An Observer said:

I am sure others are closer to this than me but the reasons that the US and UK started to come down after high rates of 1st vaccinations is that one, they started to have people needing to get their second vaccine so I suspect that Canada will have the same issue and the .8% of the population per day for first vaccinations is probably not sustainable and second, once you start reaching 50%, you started getting to the point that the vaccine resistant or anti-vaxxers start coming into play.  This is where statistics can be very misleading especially projecting current rates.  Plus looking at the current steepness of the Canadian curve equates to the steepness of the UK and US curves 1 to 2 months ago which leads me to believe we will still are that far behind them or maybe only a little less for the reasons i stated above.

Yes, US vac rates are falling because they have hit the vaccine doubters tranche. They were doing 3 million/day a month ago but now at 2.1m/day.

But April surveys show "the will not take vaccine segment" in Canada is less than 10%. In the US, having a large group of independent/freedom thinkers and racist legacy issues with blacks makes their no vac segment somewhere between 20-30%. Canadians are also more deferential to authority & health experts.

But the US is offering goodies like free beer - anecdotal stories are saying this is helping the stragglers to get vaccinated. UK only just dropped their age limit to 38-39, so their pace could start to move past Canada.

Posted (edited)

Not sure about the rest of Canada, but in BC I would guess the one's that won't take the vaccine to be about 25-30% in the end.

At my workplace there's been a mad dash to get the shot in the last week and most have the first one already or are getting it this week. The one's that aren't interested and won't get it are about 20% of the employees.

Edited by CDNFootballer
Posted (edited)

So the logic is if we all get vaccinated they'll us get back to normal.. hahaha

Sure guys.. they told you right from the start " new normal"

They'll loosen the leash a bit the summer just so people don't go mental but they'll pull the 2nd vaccinated card on yah in September and back in your cage

So maybe the CPL does a bubble as long as they fly the propaganda flag but thats the best you can expect in this country for a while

Edited by SpursFlu