Matt Durrans

Watchmen

If you want to be a professional soccer player, what do you do? Certainly seven years ago there was only one answer, and that was to go to Europe. And maybe that’s still the answer, which is a shame.”

His dad sounds pompous to the point of idiocy. Maybe that’s still the answer? Sir, a world best XI player plays two divisions up in the same stadium as your son. 100% made in Canada. 

17 minutes ago, longlugan said:

I agree with the pompous part but idiocy seems a bit harsh...and this coming from someone that loves to sling a well-aimed barb with the best of them 😁. Btw...Davies and Durrans do not play in the same stadium.

I stand corrected on the stadium bit, didn’t realize they had moved years back. But I stand by the idiocy comment.. it can’t be ignorance. Notwithstanding the fact they play in the same city, Davies is known worldwide and came through the Whitecaps just like his son. I get supporting your own decisions but no reason to be a hyperbolic fool about it. He’s not even fooling the average Canadian who is ignorant about football. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

If it was still just MLS then his comment is not crazy. He didn’t say it’s impossible to get your pro start in Canada, just that you might get better results by going to Europe. Was David an idiot for side stepping MLS? Marcel Zajac also I believe turned down MLS interest in favour of CPL.

As for CPL, it should make it easier to turn pro by staying in Canada rather than moving to Europe. We will still have to wait and see if it will be easier to eventually wind up with a decent wage by starting off in Canada or not.

31 minutes ago, Kent said:

If it was still just MLS then his comment is not crazy. He didn’t say it’s impossible to get your pro start in Canada, just that you might get better results by going to Europe. Was David an idiot for side stepping MLS? Marcel Zajac also I believe turned down MLS interest in favour of CPL.

As for CPL, it should make it easier to turn pro by staying in Canada rather than moving to Europe. We will still have to wait and see if it will be easier to eventually wind up with a decent wage by starting off in Canada or not.

Actually he pretty much did if you read the quote. “There’s only one answer” going to Europe 7 years ago? And then he doubles down saying maybe that’s still the case. Just look at our current camp and how many players have played in Europe. 

Ya poor Paul Staltieri  if only he would have left Canada at 11 years old can you imagine the career he would have had lol ! If you have talent and have the drive and some luck on your side you will make it . Some guys take different paths and good for them it’s a free world to each their own, but you don’t have to always leave Canada and North America at a young age to make it at a decent league in Europe , there are so many examples of players staying here in Canada  and the US until late in their teens and even early twenties who have made it in some big leagues in Europe their are too many to mention!

17 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Ya poor Paul Staltieri  if only he would have left Canada at 11 years old can you imagine the career he would have had lol ! If you have talent and have the drive and some luck on your side you will make it . Some guys take different paths and good for them it’s a free world to each their own, but you don’t have to always leave Canada and North America at a young age to make it at a decent league in Europe , there are so many examples of players staying here in Canada  and the US until late in their teens and even early twenties who have made it in some big leagues in Europe their are too many to mention!

There are that many “academies” in the world now. A lot of of it is parents ego. I coached a player several years ago whose parents made threats against me and the team if there son never got 90m a game (even though his attitude was terrible). Well they packed him and the family up to go to the uk to get a better soccer education and he’s in a non league teams youth system now I believe. Most others are all flustered over a university scholarship system they don’t understand. They’ll make everyone’s life experience miserable to say their kid “ signed” or “committed” somewhere where their getting 1/6 of there semesters tution paid for

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/17/2021 at 3:10 PM, top cheese said:

Soccer parents are getting worse by the year. This only further demonstrates it. Brilliant idea moving your family to Germany for you son to play in a division 4 sides academy with any luck he’ll be released and home playing senior in no time

Ta-da!

https://canpl.ca/article/fc-edmonton-signs-canadian-forward-matthew-durrans

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...