Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Jebbison may get called into a camp if we use an extended group to fill out game-day rosters, but there will be no caps given to anyone who isn’t the first choice for their role - whether starter or sub.  

Curious what you mean here.

I agree Herdman is going to play his best players, but are you suggesting that even without Cavallini and Ayo Jebbison still may not be amongst our strongest forward options? We have Larin, David, Hoilett, but who's next up? Akindele perhaps, considering he put in a good shift against Mexico? Do we play Millar for instance at forward? Theo? Seems like Jebbison would be right in the mix for the fourth forward spot in our line up right now.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Curious what you mean here.

I agree Herdman is going to play his best players, but are you suggesting that even without Cavallini and Ayo Jebbison still may not be amongst our strongest forward options? We have Larin, David, Hoilett, but who's next up? Akindele perhaps, considering he put in a good shift against Mexico? Do we play Millar for instance at forward? Theo? Seems like Jebbison would be right in the mix for the fourth forward spot in our line up right now.

I am not saying he isn’t 4th or that Herdman doesn’t see it that way.  I am just stating that he will only be used if he is in that spot.  There will be no strategic caps handed out in this series of games.  

Just now, trc2014 said:

With all of this transfer news swirling around and given he was at an England camp 3 months ago do we really expect him to accept a call-up in 2-3 weeks time?

Remains to be seen, doesn't it? I mean, we have pretty much been claiming him as our own since it was reported things are moving in a "positive" direction about him committing. However, your question is a fair one for sure. His club situation is not exactly stable and that may or may not make his decision to commit more difficult. I am hoping the gaping hole left by Cavallini increases our chances.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I am not saying he isn’t 4th or that Herdman doesn’t see it that way.  I am just stating that he will only be used if he is in that spot.  There will be no strategic caps handed out in this series of games.  

Ah thanks for the clarification. Do you see him as being in that spot?

16 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

With all of this transfer news swirling around and given he was at an England camp 3 months ago do we really expect him to accept a call-up in 2-3 weeks time?

Yes. He's Canadian and he has a chance to feature in the final round of WCQ and therefore a World Cup (in fact multiple World Cups). I don't see a situation where he thinks that isn't worth losing the option of England youth camps. With Canada he's all but guaranteed senior international football at the highest level. With England, he's guaranteed some more youth camps, and nothing more. Pretty easy decision you would think.

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Ah thanks for the clarification. Do you see him as being in that spot?

If you are talking about who is the best option on Sept. 2nd, I don't see him in that spot.  I think both Akindele and Millar are ahead of him, right now.  I see him pretty far down the list actually.

He's got tons of potential but potential doesn't get the job done on Sept. 2nd.

22 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

If you are talking about who is the best option on Sept. 2nd, I don't see him in that spot.  I think both Akindele and Millar are ahead of him, right now.  I see him pretty far down the list actually.

He's got tons of potential but potential doesn't get the job done on Sept. 2nd.

Yup I think that's perfectly valid. He's much greener than Millar and definitely Akindele.

At the same time, I can see Herdman calling him anyways. If Herdman is going to cap tie him it's going to have to be in WCQ. That's really the only chance between now and next summer. Even if he's behind Millar and Akindele, I can see Herdman giving him some late minutes if we are in firm control of a match.

That's the kind of strategic cap @dyslexic nam doesn't think we'll see, but I am not so sure we won't see it. I think it would depend on the circumstance. Then, for that to even occur he needs to be in our squad and that's half the battle. Therefore, I see his call up chances as probable, even if he's arguably further down the depth chart than 4th. The lack of Cav and Ayo just make that more likely, not less.

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

It's not like cap-tying him comes at a great trade-off. Bringing him on with 20 minutes left in a game isn't that much riskier than bringing in Akindele. He has scored at PL level after all. I think it would be a win-win, rather than what would be a relatively uninspiring callup in Akindele, with all due respect.

Good point.

The other thing is that when Akindele got his chance the cupboards were very bare. 

In September David and Larin will be back, so not the same situation. If you are Herdman maybe you go with the prospect.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would love to see Jebbison called up and capped.  I think he is definitely one to add to our player pool and could be huge in the future.  

Having said that, I don’t see Herdman taking anyone other than his best lineup for every individual WCQ game from now on.  I doubt he thinks his job is on the line or anything but everyone, including him, knows what is at stake during this series of games.  He will go with what he sees as the absolute strongest lineup every single time.  Full stop. The only way I could ever see this changing is if we somehow considered one specific game (e.g. away to Mexico) as a throwaway - but that is extremely unlikely given the points we need and the possibility of taking points off anyone else (for one them to fight harder against others).  

Jebbison may get called into a camp if we use an extended group to fill out game-day rosters, but there will be no caps given to anyone who isn’t the first choice for their role - whether starter or sub.  

And that’s no cap.  

I agree that there won’t be some planned cap at a certain point of the game, no matter the situation. What’s the harm in giving him a run out in the final few minutes of a game that’s already decided though?

9 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I agree that there won’t be some planned cap at a certain point of the game, no matter the situation. What’s the harm in giving him a run out in the final few minutes of a game that’s already decided though?

Sure but remember a "cap" isn't "cap" anymore with WCQ. He'd have to get a number of run outs for him to be "capped".

Cap. 

13 minutes ago, frmr said:

What's the details on this?

- They have received no more than three caps with their current national team

- All three of those appearances came at age 21 or younger

- At least three years have passed since their last cap

- None of those appearances occurred in a FIFA World Cup Finals or a confederation final tournament

- They are otherwise eligible for multiple national teams

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So up 3-0 vs Panamá at home we won't cap an aspiring player with other NT aspirations, because you say so? 

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So up 3-0 vs Panamá at home we won't cap an aspiring player with other NT aspirations, because you say so? 

Perhaps a more realistic matter is whether or not there is a roster spot for Jebbison or if there is another player from the pool who is preferred by JH.  

2 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Sure but remember a "cap" isn't "cap" anymore with WCQ. He'd have to get a number of run outs for him to be "capped".

Cap. 

Yes that’s a good point. Was thinking he had to switch nations but he only played in a youth friendly for England so he wouldn’t have to. I imagine it still would give us a pretty big chance of keeping him, since I think he’d have to wait 3 years without getting another cap from us to be able to switch to another nation, right?

39 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No.  Once again either your reading comprehension is suspect or you are being intentionally obtuse for effect.   At this point it is hard to know which is true.

What I said is that I don’t think he will even be on the bench unless Herdman feels he is absolutely the best choice.  He won’t make the bench just in case we go ahead so that we can maybe cap him.  If he is on the bench, we very well might see him get subbed in, but it will be because he is viewed as having the best chance to help us get the necessary result.   He won’t be gifted a spot on the bench in the hopes that we get a chance to cap him.  

With 2 strikers being out injured and assuming we call a larger squad it makes sense for Jebbison to be included. Think Akindele was called more out of convenience (being on this side of the pond and not in preseason fighting for a spot or a loan) rather than him being the next in line on our depth chart. 

With our remaining strikers left, David is our only true #9? Larin tends to drift from out to in and isn't a hold up player. Hoilett is more of a secondary striker. Millar isn't currently being played centrally. Corbeanu and Buchanan could be put up top to run in behind but it is not where they are normally deployed. This is where he could miss out tho... can even add Pasher into that mix I guess. 

However I think as a 4th striker Jebbison makes it and can get some minutes. Rotation will be needed with 3 games in 7 days in the Sept window. 

Why would he accept a call up? Herdman will probably lay it out that this is ahead of schedule for him but it is an opportunity that he can take advantage of. England is deep in attack and though I am unsure of their youth ranks, I imagine they have lots of promising strikers chomping at the bit.