Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

45 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

This is right now for England:

Kane, DCL, Watkins, Bamford, Wilson, Ings.... arguably even Sterling, Foden can play forward, I'm sure I missed someone. 

Canada: 

David, Larin, Cav with 1-2 waiting in the wings and he has the ability to establish and earn himself as a mainstay for the 2026 WC.

Hope he commits to us.

Exactly come 2026, he should commit to us but let's say 2022 Canada and England both qualify then he has quite a decision to make

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

This is right now for England:

Kane, DCL, Watkins, Bamford, Wilson, Ings.... arguably even Sterling, Foden can play forward, I'm sure I missed someone. 

Canada: 

David, Larin, Cav with 1-2 waiting in the wings and he has the ability to establish and earn himself as a mainstay for the 2026 WC.

Hope he commits to us.

Also Rashford, Greenwood.

Every person mentioned other than Kane are not shoe-in, world class strikers that will be picked every window. He can easily be on the fringes of a callup, much like Tomori when he was competing with players like Lewis Dunk for a spot.

Edited by PopePouri

6 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I disagree, we should have our players playing as much as possible in the most competitive environment possible. This does not always mean going to Europe. With regards to Jebbison, I believe he should stay in England.

Well yes, if a player is going to play every game in MLS vs not playing at all in Europe, of course they should stay in MLS. What I meant is that the goal should be to get our players playing in Europe, because it's the highest level. If a young player is already playing in Europe, why on Earth would we want to bring them back to play here. Football is Europe is different than soccer in North America, we need our players playing over there as much as possible if we want them to be able to handle the biggest situations.

4 hours ago, archer21 said:

Appears I have unintentionally left off Manure United players, after losing a title when I knew that Spanish keeper( who I I will not name) can't take a PK. 

Manure United trash talk aside, 100% those 2 studs Greenwood & Rashford.

4 hours ago, PopePouri said:

Every person mentioned other than Kane are not shoe-in, world class strikers that will be picked every window. He can easily be on the fringes of a callup, much like Tomori when he was competing with players like Lewis Dunk for a spot.

If you add Rashford and Greenwood, sure you could call the players I listed "fringe". The reality is, unless he starts consistently banging in 10 + goals a season in the BPL and not just empty net tap-ins from executing running an open channel. There are a lot of players, who are more established and some hitting their prime before he leap frogs them. 

Anyways, my point was it's a big pool in England because even banging 15+ goals in Championship next year might not earn him an England call up. 

Toney has 32 goals & Armstrong 28 goals and I don't think either will be called up to Euros. 

Edited by apbsmith

6 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

If you add Rashford and Greenwood, sure you could call the players I listed "fringe". The reality is, unless he starts consistently banging in 10 + goals a season in the BPL and not just empty net tap-ins from executing running an open channel. There are a lot of players, who are more established and some hitting their prime before he leap frogs them. 

Anyways, my point was it's a big pool in England because even banging 15+ goals in Championship next year might not earn him an England call up. 

Toney has 32 goals & Armstrong 28 goals and I don't think either will be called up to Euros. 

This all true but misses the crucial issue I keep pointing out. He’s not in the running for the England Senior Team right now but is involved in their youth system and has another potential 4 years of that. From a career and development perspective that’s a far better path for him then switching to Canada and there is no reason for him to consider that switch at this point.

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

This all true but misses the crucial issue I keep pointing out. He’s not in the running for the England Senior Team right now but is involved in their youth system and has another potential 4 years of that. From a career and development perspective that’s a far better path for him then switching to Canada and there is no reason for him to consider that switch at this point.

Agree completely with what you are saying. 

If we are fortunate to push for 2022, you would think he needs to make that choice by the fall. 

If his eyes are on 2026, I'm in complete agreement that a few more years in England youth set up is fine.  Didn't bother England when they took Tomori after playing youth ball with us, shouldn't bother them when he comes play for Canada ( it will though).

Edited by apbsmith

18 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Agree completely with what you are saying. 

If we are fortunate to push for 2022, you would think he needs to make that choice by the fall. 

If his eyes are on 2026, I'm in complete agreement that a few more years in England youth set up is fine.  Didn't bother England when they took Tomori after playing youth ball with us, shouldn't bother them when he comes play for Canada ( it will though).

There's no guarantees in football though. If we qualify for WC2022 and Herdman tells him there's a spot on the team for him, I don't think he could turn that down.

22 minutes ago, frmr said:

There's no guarantees in football though. If we qualify for WC2022 and Herdman tells him there's a spot on the team for him, I don't think he could turn that down.

Right - a guaranteed WC is a different matter. If we qualify for 22 and he’s good enough to make the squad and is offered that opportunity that’s a different story. But people here are talking about him making the switch for the Gold Cup or even octagonal. To me, that’s a pure fairy tale. I would be shocked if that happens.

50 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

If Jebbison stays in the Championship, he won't get called up by. As we have just seen with Tomori, you have to be really super special to be called up if not playing in PL.

2 hours ago, frmr said:

Well yes, if a player is going to play every game in MLS vs not playing at all in Europe, of course they should stay in MLS. What I meant is that the goal should be to get our players playing in Europe, because it's the highest level. If a young player is already playing in Europe, why on Earth would we want to bring them back to play here. Football is Europe is different than soccer in North America, we need our players playing over there as much as possible if we want them to be able to handle the biggest situations.

You're still referring to "Europe" as one generic level of play. That's the problem

53 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

You're still referring to "Europe" as one generic level of play. That's the problem

Yeah well I'm not going to waste my time listing every specific league that is above MLS. I'm sure people can infer what I mean, and I doubt anyone assumes I'm saying the Latvian second division is a better destination than MLS. Jebbison playing in the Championship > Jebbison playing in MLS.

Edited by frmr
spelling

8 hours ago, archer21 said:

Add Abraham, Barnes, Noni Madueke at PSV, Ugbo at Cercle Bruge, Brewster, Nketiah. Then Ivan Toney (who just smashed Championship goal scoring records), Adam Armstrong (just behind in the championship who excelled at every England youth level), Liam Delap imminently breaking through at Man City, Dominic Solanke and likely 5 to 10 more excluding other strikers that might emerge. 

There is no doubt which pathway gets him more games internationally but it all depends on his next move and how he progresses. To play for England as a striker is a mammoth task. 

I am very confident he will play for Canada. I also said similar with Tomori though. 😄 

IF Jebbison gets a move to an "IT" Club or a London club and scores 15-20 goals he might get a look in. That is still a might. Had circumstances not have kept Tomori at Chelsea he wouldn't have been capped. He was linked to Newcastle and a couple of other Premier league clubs just before he started getting minutes, he never would have got caps if he was playing well at Newcastle. The fact he got those at Chelsea got him the cap not that he was in the Premiership. Just another reason to shake my head at a Lampard.

Edited by toontownman

1 hour ago, frmr said:

Yeah well I'm not going to waste my time listing every specific league that is above MLS. I'm sure people can infer what I mean, and I doubt anyone assumes I'm saying the Latvian second division is a better destination than MLS. Jebbison playing in the Championship > Jebbison playing in MLS.

I agree with you here. I would rather he stay with Sheffield United in the Championship. I don't see the upside of joining a Toronto side still trying to find his way. He wouldn't be angling for a permanent move (stock is too high to aim for MLS now), so what exactly would a loan accomplish? It's not imperative he gets minutes over the summer, but it is important he's fresh and ready to go for the Blades come August. I just don't see where the fit is on his end, though I am sure Toronto would love to sign a player like him.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I agree with you here. I would rather he stay with Sheffield United in the Championship. I don't see the upside of joining a Toronto side still trying to find his way. He wouldn't be angling for a permanent move (stock is too high to aim for MLS now), so what exactly would a loan accomplish? It's not imperative he gets minutes over the summer, but it is important he's fresh and ready to go for the Blades come August. I just don't see where the fit is on his end, though I am sure Toronto would love to sign a player like him.

I agree.  He’s 17 going on 18.  Stay with Sheffield and if he get a reasonable amount of playing time in the Championship supplemented by playing with the U23s, that would be great for his Development. If he was Corbeanu’s age and not getting playing time, with the first team I wound say a summer loan may make sense.

A thought just came into my head.

How tragic and unacceptable is it that this kid at no point seemed to be a part of the U17 team under Olivieri (who is not loved on these boards lmao)

Like did they even know about him? Wouldn't ANB at some point let someone at the CSA know "Hey one of ours just got accepted into a Championship/Premier League club academy?"

The fact that team also ignored an already turned pro Pepple and Coupland shouldn't be missed either. Incompetence all-around.

Edited by VinceA

12 hours ago, VinceA said:

A thought just came into my head.

How tragic and unacceptable is it that this kid at no point seemed to be a part of the U17 team under Olivieri (who is not loved on these boards lmao)

Like did they even know about him? Wouldn't ANB at some point let someone at the CSA know "Hey one of ours just got accepted into a Championship/Premier League club academy?"

The fact that team also ignored an already turned pro Pepple and Coupland shouldn't be missed either. Incompetence all-around.

Spot on. I wouldn't mind USMNT-ing our way to a 'golden gen' but personally, I'd rather rely on strong youth teams and a set-up integrated with the CPL + 3 MLS clubs than play the lottery with the Canadian-born pro footballer population abroad. I too was shocked by how they handled the Pepple situation. The whole thing makes me retch. Pretty sure I could do better. I think it's pretty clear that Olivieri is there through connections and not his own merit. Such is sport.

I would really like to see academies and local rep clubs organized in such a way that they can easily streamline their top talent to the nearest CPL club, without the kid's parents knowing a guy who knows a guy. I'd add L1O but it's a competitor in the CanChamp (I'm fairly certain Guelph could beat Edmonton). Can we bring in the entire KNVB and revamp our country's soccer setup? Let's Iceland this thing!

anyway, that's my rant.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope him and Dias and come to the Gold Cup. Man that would be amazing. I know it's been rumoured they'll both be called but I just don't know if either will be ready to make that decision. 

Hopefully Corbeanu can get into Jebbi's ear. Maybe Corbeanu starting in the next 3 games (assuming we have 3) would convince Jebbi that he will be a star here and there's not a pecking order he'll be stuck behind.

Edited by Hawkguy