Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

56 minutes ago, SwedishBadMan said:

I DMed his this message, along with the Sheff Utd post commenting on his England call-up:

"let them develop you, then come play with Phonzie and Canada *canada flag x3* "

He liked my message, so I think he knows exactly what he's doing. If you ask me, he's clearly committed to Canada, but he'd be a fool to turn down an England youth call-up. If he has ambitions of leaving for a bigger club, an England call-up boosts your stock tremendously. If we make 2022, don't be surprised if he comes. But I don't see him joining us for qualifiers or Gold Cup. That being said, making 2022 shows that we are at least a competent footballing nation, and that is what it would take to get him on board. Bomb qualifiers and England might be ahead in the race for commitment.

I think it makes sense for him to wait until we qualify for the 3rd round. Once we secure that, I think he should dump England. Playing in the Gold Cup with the Canadian senior team is probably more valuable than earning additional English youth caps, and he would have earned a few more by then, so best of both worlds?

In the fall he could be called in to play in WCQ against Honduras, the United States, etc. This would be undoubtedly a better development experience and resume builder than England youth national team caps. If he turned us down at that point it would lead me to believe he's genuinely aiming for an English senior cap down the line. 

If his strategy is to wait until we qualify for the World Cup, not only would he have missed out on some crucial development opportunities during Canada's qualification, but he could also miss out on selection for the World Cup squad, since he wouldn't have secured his spot in the team.

It's already competitive up front with David, Larin and Cavallini, not to mention Davies, Millar, Corbeanu and Buchanan. It would be straight forward to ease him in as of today, but who's to say what the landscape up front looks like come World Cup time?

Waiting for now is probably fine, but I am not sure he should wait too long.

Edited by Obinna

There are hundreds of kids involved in England's youth national programs but only a handful at each age group breakthrough at the senior level.  Again, I would love him to commit to our senior squad but the exposure he will get with the u19's in England is far greater than with Canada.  Better for his club career to get as many games as possible in the youth setup.  Obviously the more games he gets at youth level starts to become a worry.  I'll worry a little more when he starts breaking through the English u21 program.

Again taking into account only a select few players make it to the senior squad per year age group. 

For reference - the following players are all attacking players as well.

Harvey Elliott is the same age as Jebbison with over 50 professional games with Fulham, Liverpool & Blackburn.  0 senior England games.

Jude Bellingham is the same age as Jebbison with nearly 90 professional games with Birmingham City & Borussia Dortmund.  2 senior England games.

Jamal Musiala is the same age as Jebbison with nearly 40 professional games for Bayern Munich.  0 senior England games.

I'm not too worried yet about Jebbison who has 2 professional games with Sheffield United.  You also have to assume that other attackers of the same age at bigger clubs like Liam Delap from Manchester City are touted higher as well.

Edited by Corazon

On 5/20/2021 at 8:59 AM, Corazon said:

The extended Greater Toronto Area is actually called the "Golden Horseshoe" and Hamilton is probably less than a 45 minute drive from Etobicoke, Toronto.  Not much difference than Vancouver & a place like Langley.

No it's not. The GTA and the Golden Horseshoe are two separate entities...and Hamiltonians like myself do not consider ourselves part of the GTA. You say something like that in Hamilton and you better have a fast car to get out of there quickly.

10 minutes ago, longlugan said:

No it's not. The GTA and the Golden Horseshoe are two separate entities...and Hamiltonians like myself do not consider ourselves part of the GTA. You say something like that in Hamilton and you better have a fast car to get out of there quickly.

Considering how many Torontonians are relocating to Hamilton and environs, your sentiment may not be true for much longer.

Resistance is futile.

11 minutes ago, longlugan said:

That just makes you the slums of Toronto. 

19 minutes ago, RS said:

Considering how many Torontonians are relocating to Hamilton and environs, your sentiment may not be true for much longer.

Resistance is futile.

Yes...have some in my neighbourhood...my family and I shun them and egg their houses every second Tuesday but they refuse to leave 😊

24 minutes ago, RS said:

Resistance is futile.

They are pushing the value of my house higher and higher, our new next door neighbours are from Toronto and they are actually very nice!😀

On 5/21/2021 at 5:50 PM, DavemTFC said:

But 2 cap-tying Germany games

Very true, he did make the switch recently.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:00 AM, longlugan said:

Let me rephrase. The area extended right past the Greater Toronto Area is considered the The Golden Horseshoe and includes Hamilton and down to Niagara.  I really needed to clarify that because I can assure you that Torontonians and many Ontarian's do not want any association to Hamilton as well!  I hope that wasn't implied.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Maybe a loan to TFC could be in the cards ? Short term ? Jozy is no longer trainning with the first team.

This is the second thread you mentioned this. What happened? Is he injured again? Banished perhaps? Bison44 must be jumping for joy!

On 5/21/2021 at 10:50 AM, Obinna said:

I think it makes sense for him to wait until we qualify for the 3rd round. Once we secure that, I think he should dump England. Playing in the Gold Cup with the Canadian senior team is probably more valuable than earning additional English youth caps, and he would have earned a few more by then, so best of both worlds?

In the fall he could be called in to play in WCQ against Honduras, the United States, etc. This would be undoubtedly a better development experience and resume builder than England youth national team caps. If he turned us down at that point it would lead me to believe he's genuinely aiming for an English senior cap down the line. 

If his strategy is to wait until we qualify for the World Cup, not only would he have missed out on some crucial development opportunities during Canada's qualification, but he could also miss out on selection for the World Cup squad, since he wouldn't have secured his spot in the team.

It's already competitive up front with David, Larin and Cavallini, not to mention Davies, Millar, Corbeanu and Buchanan. It would be straight forward to ease him in as of today, but who's to say what the landscape up front looks like come World Cup time?

Waiting for now is probably fine, but I am not sure he should wait too long.

Yes to this 100 times over. Daniel Jebbison should commit to us because let's face it for England, he will get overlooked always considering the overall talent and overall depth pool in England not just at youth level but at senior level. Like do you all really think Southgate will call him up? Whereas Herdman and company will call him up. We want him here.

This is right now for England:

Kane, DCL, Watkins, Bamford, Wilson, Ings.... arguably even Sterling, Foden can play forward, I'm sure I missed someone. 

Canada: 

David, Larin, Cav with 1-2 waiting in the wings and he has the ability to establish and earn himself as a mainstay for the 2026 WC.

Hope he commits to us.