Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

1 hour ago, costarg said:

We need to look at this from the English side..... they have a 17 year old playing in England who accomplished something that Kane, Sterling, Greenwood, Rashford, etc....  and even fcuking Rooney hasn't accomplished.  They don't care how deep they are at forward.  They will try to cap him and claim him for themselves.  There is zero chance they go into this nonchalantly, they will not let anyone get away.

All we can do is hope he takes his time to think about this and weighs the pros and cons of both options.  If he wants to chase glory his choice is kinda obvious.  Mind you, a 17y old that scores in the PL isn't normally the kinda guy that settles for second best.  He's gotta be a very confident guy, and obviously up for the challenge, so this reduces our chances.  I'd be surprised to see him accept a Canadian invite in the next 2 years.  I really hope i'm wrong.

He's still got a few years and needs 3 caps before 21 to be locked up if I remember correctly.

We need to keep posting the Tomori example on his various feeds.  But then again, I can see Tomori making the team again fairly soon.

Curious to see how many pages we get to with this guy, I feel this is gonna be a long ride guys.  

I don’t think we need to worry about England trying to cap him any time soon. They’ll definitely try to keep him in their youth setup, but I don’t see them bringing a Championship player (if he even starts there) into their team that easily. He’s probably years away from an England cap, if one ever comes. So it may come down to whether he’d rather play in our national team, or play in their youth teams, with the hopes of one day potentially playing for their national team.

20 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

What we do have in our favour is he can be fast tracked to a really good pro-level national team competing with Larin and David, instead of waiting for an England callup that could be a few years later. Who knows. 

Well exactly. 

If you’re starting to get games at 17 in a top league, we can afford to roll the dice a bit. Feed him some minutes, give him a reason to like the choice he made, and see what the future holds. 

While our player pool has improved immeasurably over the past five years, there’s still room to do stuff like this. 

It’s a far cry from fielding Massih Wassey and taking really speculative chances like we used to have to.

I am extremely excited for Jebbison and the prospect of him playing for Canada.  I would love to see him commit to us this year but would not fault him at all if he's interested in playing in the English youth system since they play quite regularly.  However, the hype train does have to halt a little bit.  The timing worked perfectly for him to get some late season minutes and he made a great run with a great finish to score.  It may be his only premier league goal for a few seasons, or he may score again this weekend.  England has so much depth and quality that they are not going to be hung up a player scoring one goal.  There are 13 other players besides Jebbison that are 20 years or younger that have scored at least one goal this Premier League season.  Most will never reach the senior England squad.

Being relegated to the championship is probably the best thing to happen to him.  Although, I don't think he will be an automatic starter in the championship, I can imagine him getting somewhat regular minutes next season there.

Mason Greenwood has 1 England senior cap.  He has 29 goals in all competitions for Manchester United (17 premier league goals).  Safe to predict that Jebbison is probably not on the same trajectory as Greenwood was two seasons ago.  Callum Hudson-Odoi who also scored many premier league goals as a teenager has nearly 100 games for Chelsea and only 3 England caps.

Young English players score as teenagers in the premier league all the time and then truly don't amount to anything more than an average championship player.  To England, that means very little but for Canada an average championship player would be a great add for our program.

24 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I am extremely excited for Jebbison and the prospect of him playing for Canada.  I would love to see him commit to us this year but would not fault him at all if he's interested in playing in the English youth system since they play quite regularly.  However, the hype train does have to halt a little bit.  The timing worked perfectly for him to get some late season minutes and he made a great run with a great finish to score.  It may be his only premier league goal for a few seasons, or he may score again this weekend.  England has so much depth and quality that they are not going to be hung up a player scoring one goal.  There are 13 other players besides Jebbison that are 20 years or younger that have scored at least one goal this Premier League season.  Most will never reach the senior England squad.

Being relegated to the championship is probably the best thing to happen to him.  Although, I don't think he will be an automatic starter in the championship, I can imagine him getting somewhat regular minutes next season there.

Mason Greenwood has 1 England senior cap.  He has 29 goals in all competitions for Manchester United (17 premier league goals).  Safe to predict that Jebbison is probably not on the same trajectory as Greenwood was two seasons ago.  Callum Hudson-Odoi who also scored many premier league goals as a teenager has nearly 100 games for Chelsea and only 3 England caps.

Young English players score as teenagers in the premier league all the time and then truly don't amount to anything more than an average championship player.  To England, that means very little but for Canada an average championship player would be a great add for our program.

Good examples. Reading the crazy (or at least, premature) hype people are throwing around reminded me that David Edgar scored as a teenager in his 2nd Premier League appearance, against Manchester United (when they were still a dominant team), and Edgar's goal was prettier. Edgar was good for Canada for sure, but he was an English Championship level player through the bulk of his career, not a world beating Premier League phenom.

I'm very happy for Jebbison, and excited at the thought he could end up being a really good player and could play for Canada, but he's got one back post tap in goal in his career. That's a great start for a 17 year old, but the work is just beginning for him now.

Tomori had a lot happen to even get called into the senior squad.  Reality is that Chelsea were desperate for center backs summer 2019 but were unable to buy anyone due to their transfer ban.  Tomori who was coming off a great loan spell with Derby in the championship was forced to stay with Chelsea for the season.  Had Chelsea bought a center back or two that summer, good chance that Tomori would have been loaned out again for the 2019-20 season.  Then, several injuries to center backs at Chelsea to start the year meant that Chelsea was forced to start Tomori at CB and he performed excellently as the starting CB for several months and earned his call up.  

Reality is that if these 2 key events never happened, he likely is never called to England senior squad.  Also, to note that Tomori left Canada as an infant so he is English/Nigerian through and through.  The only regrets he will have is if he misses out on the Euros and World Cup which is a strong possibility.  Tomori has been very good for AC Milan so perhaps they will recall him into the squad again soon but historically England would rather call a domestic player over a player playing out of country with similar quality.  So that doesn't help his case.

Tomori was Tomori'd when a lot had to happen actually came true and happened.  Tomori has about 150 professional football games under his belt and only a couple minutes of representing the England senior program.  I am not yet worried about a young Canadian with a couple professional games under his belt.

1 minute ago, costarg said:

They can watch all they'd like, to think he'd go to TFC is just absurd.

On a loan? Not really absurd. Even going down to the championship I’m sure Sheffield united would like to bounce straight back up and probably won’t have a ton of minutes for him next season. 

39 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

On a loan? Not really absurd. Even going down to the championship I’m sure Sheffield united would like to bounce straight back up and probably won’t have a ton of minutes for him next season. 

The loan itself could even be structured in a away to end in late August in time for the start of Sheffield's new campaign.

I think he takes the call in June, we were after him early, were building something with these Toronto kids. Corbeanu and him give us 2 more PL caliber players, I know the CB doesn’t look great but we are close, it’s a matter of time until the talent in the back catches up. We have so many midfield prospects, a lot up top. The back end will follow.

7 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I think he takes the call in June, we were after him early, were building something with these Toronto kids. Corbeanu and him give us 2 more PL caliber players, I know the CB doesn’t look great but we are close, it’s a matter of time until the talent in the back catches up. We have so many midfield prospects, a lot up top. The back end will follow.

Davies, David, Corbeanu ... none of them are Toronto kids. 

Wasn't given anything today but still gave an ok account of himself. Just the type of performance we need to be honest. More minutes and everyone in England cooling their jets a bit! 

Will be a very interesting off-season with the two German clubs and most of the top English clubs now said to be "monitoring".  

Still fancy our chances for a June or Gold cup call.

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Davies, David, Corbeanu ... none of them are Toronto kids. 

I think he maybe meant the TFC 'Golden Generation' of Shaffelburg, Nelson, Jahkeele, Akinola, Okello, Priso, etc.

Also, Corbeanu is from Burlington, which is GTA-ish. He was in TFC's Academy, too. But let's stay on topic.

Just now, SwedishBadMan said:

I think he maybe meant the TFC 'Golden Generation' of Shaffelburg, Nelson, Jahkeele, Akinola, Okello, Priso, etc.

Also, Corbeanu is from Burlington, which is GTA-ish. He was in TFC's Academy, too. But let's stay on topic.

I might add that outside of the stars in Davies and David, basically everybody else is from the (it's a real thing) GTHA (Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area). Davies and David are great, but, and outside of young talents here, Atiba, every CB, 3/4 of our RBs, Millar, Larin, Cavallini, Hoilett, are all from the GTHA. Jebbison and Theo too.

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Yipes, how big a circle are you putting around TO?  Does it include Detroit, Buffalo and Ottawa as well? Do the Hamilton guys know they just get lumped in as from TO??  Hehehehehe.  

hahaha, I'd say GTHA is "Toronto", as most of the talent from there gets noticed in that area and streamed to TFC Academy very very quickly. TFC also has academies in London and Windsor, but I won't go that far.

2 hours ago, SwedishBadMan said:

Gta are is what I meant