CWNT to take part in SheBelieves Cup in February

toontownman

If anyone is watching the game alone tonight or interested, the SK Wheatpool is hosting a watch along party on their facebook page. (Won't be sharing the feed to the game obviously but a chance for people to get together and video/voice chat while you watch the game on OneSoccer)

I will come back later and post the direct link for anyone that is interested once the room is created. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheWheatpool 

"Starting at 5:40pm. We are going to have a watch party in which our Soccer analyst, Lee Kormish breaks down the She Believes Cup!!! Following the video there will be a facebook room in which you can video chat with other supporters as we watch the Canada womens national team take on the USA!!!!
Also there will be live chat on facebook as well as twitter, make sure to use the hashtags #canwnt #shebelievescup #canadabelieves "

Edited by toontownman

4 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Don't have the audio on but how was that not a US hand ball just prior to the US goal? Arm out clear contact in the box.

I guess it's not just the players who are a bit rusty.  Anyway, losing 1-0 favours us in that game.  I'm not going to get worked up over the missed handball calls.

16 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Don't have the audio on but how was that not a US hand ball just prior to the US goal? Arm out clear contact in the box.

Arm couldn't have been more out if she tried. I think both arms were 90 degrees to her body. If that game was in Canada perhaps she wouldn't have swallowed her whistle.

The game was wild and random and chaotic. Some of the players were in good form but as expected collectively both teams were messy.

After watching European men/women football for a year, it is a bit jarring to watch the US women. Their focus is on power, full press and seeking set plays rather than passing between defenders/keeper and full team arc passing in the offensive half.

For Canada, the team looked less boring than under KHM.  Thought they would lose 3-0 but got Concacafed to not get a draw.

Individually, the good is that Gilles made the Olympic team and maybe can start with Buchanan & Zadorsky. This could allow Lawrence to play mid and juice up our midfield and attack. Quinn looked good and others played at/above last year's levels.

The bad is chances weren't taken. Beckie again missed taken the mantle from Sinclair & Rose still plays timidly.

The way Priestman has our team playing is far better and impressive than what the Preacher used to have.  I think Schmidt should be dropped from the roster.  Watch out though with Argentina, since they established their professional league they are playing far better than before.  They got rid of some dead wood as well.

Edited by The Ref

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Some sloppy plays out there tonight.  Lots of unforced giveaways.  Gotta clean that stuff up if we want to compete with the better teams.  May have ended 1-0 but could have been a lot worse.  

Sloppy at times and rusty for sure but we also could have won 3-1 with almost half our regular first team missing. Hugely encouraging but frustrating we simply werent clinical enough. US were there for the taking.

Gilles was fantastic, fleming too. If Prince had some composure and end product she would be a game changer. We have to find that killer instinct though to move ourselves forward.

Also hope we see Grosso next game. Schmidt is done imo.

I think Schmidt is just rusty.  She has been great for the Dash since she went there, and played a big part in their success.  It's too soon to write her off.  Our whole midfield got owned by the Americans in this game.

I have to agree with the previous comments praising Gilles.  I groaned a bit a the start of the game thinking "Just what we need, a total noob on the back line against the US forwards".  Boy, was I wrong.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with our play. I honestly thought it was going to me one of those matches where we are constantly under pressure.

But we had some good counters. Too bad our final finishing isn't where it needs to be.

Plus we were jobbed by the referee. I sort of don't care because its a friendly but it still irks me.

I'm actually excited to see our later matches now and really hope the Olympics happen.