Cavalry Season Thread 2021

Big_M

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So the scam combine in Florida was co-run by FCA and York United? 

This sort of set up is not uncommon,though its worse with teens going to mediocre HP clubs. 

Think the combine was run by the American guy that the disgruntled ex-player called up and had a 90 minute conversation with and that the crux of the matter revolves around whether he did proper due dilligence on this particular Darmstadt club. The York United and Rob Gale angles could still have been very much on the level in other words.

Also worth bearing in mind that we are only hearing one side in that youtube clip. Anybody winding up going to this club with legitimate pro level talent would stand out a mile at this level and have a reasonable shot at quickly getting noticed by genuinely professional clubs like SV Darmstadt 98 who are in the immediate vicinity.

It's reasonable enough to point out that anyone even vaguely clued in about how European football works should be able to grasp that 8th tier in Germany is beginning to approach pub team level but does that not also apply to the players? How difficult is it to use google to know what you are walking into in advance?

52 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think the combine was run by the American guy that the disgruntled ex-player called up and had a 90 minute conversation with and that the crux of the matter revolves around whether he did proper due dilligence on this particular Darmstadt club. The York United and Rob Gale angles could still have been very much on the level in other words.

Also worth bearing in mind that we are only hearing one side in that youtube clip. Anybody winding up going to this club with legitimate pro level talent would stand out a mile at this level and have a reasonable shot at quickly getting noticed by genuinely professional clubs like SV Darmstadt 98 who are in the immediate vicinity.

It's reasonable enough to point out that anyone even vaguely clued in about how European football works should be able to grasp that 8th tier in Germany is beginning to approach pub team level but does that not also apply to the players? How difficult is it to use google to know what you are walking into in advance?

Speaking about levels, it is not that easy in Europe, depending where you go. You can't automatically say a pro would stand out.

I just watched Issey Nakajima-Farran in a club match near Barcelona, in a 5th tier that would be like 7-8th in England (as it is all broken down regionally earlier here), and a guy who was fine in CPL was just a bit better than the avg. Basically, I would say there were 4-5 guys who could handle CPL right now.

Issey himself trained and played with a 6th tier team near BCN a few years ago after his MLS release and he said he was surprised by the level. So saying pub team, not quite4. Here you can find guys who played youth for major clubs, even Barça and Espanyol, who had a key injury or decided to study and have a career, and they are at this level age 26. I have also seen older guys who had been, for example, internationals with other countries playing for my 6th tier neighbourhood team (Raducanu, Romanian international, played for Poble Sec 5 years after being in La Liga). Trying to sort out a hiatus in a career. I have seen former top flight keepers age 38 who are married and have a job and play 5-6th tier, and of course they are very solid (no keeper, however good, can overcome weak defending however). 

I only watched half the video, but I could tell similar stories. I shared with a friend who is on the board occasionally some posters on the streets of downtown Barcelona to capture players for a team in Iceland 2nd division, promising a base salary--very odd and iffy.

What always bothers most is when clubs capture teens and their parents fall for it paying big money, you just say the club is in Barcelona and they think it's Barça when it is just one academy amongst dozens. But these delusional parents let themselves be scammed financially and con their kids into thinking they are fast-tracking success.

An adult like this guy, with a level head, should now what he is getting into. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Great shot of the Foot Soldiers from last night's game. Courtesy from Jim Wells of Postmedia. 

It was so damn good to be back in the stands. I inhaled a lot of smoke last night. 

Looks fun!  I hope that the chemical ingredients of that flare smoke do not do a number on your lungs! 😲

41 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Great shot of the Foot Soldiers from last night's game. Courtesy from Jim Wells of Postmedia. 

It was so damn good to be back in the stands. I inhaled a lot of smoke last night. 

I hope it was all the red smoke and not the other kind, HEHEHE.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm somewhat surprised at Apostol not coming back, I thought he looked good in limited minutes at the end of the season. At the very least, he was a pain in the ass when they visited THF at the end of the regular season.

He might not generate as much offense as the top outside backs in the league (Farsi, Abzi, Doner, Chung) but he seemed to be a pretty agressive defender and a clinical tackler. It was basically like the Doneil Henry at RB experience... wait maybe that's a bad thing 😂

15 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Also on another note, I hope Nico Pasquotti doesn't have any more setbacks in his injury recovery and that Cavalry bring him back next season. He has been one of the best players to watch in the CPL thus far (except when he's facing your team).

Yes, I was wondering about Pasquotti recently, one of my favorite players in year 1 of CPL.