Atletico Ottawa Season Thread 2021

Big_M

I think Mista will stay if he says to Atletí that he wants to stay. They understand Covid was an exceptional factor, they had their first home game ever just a few months ago. So you could argue they barely started. 

Just to be clear re certain posts: Atleti have not sent too many players in their system with prospects for their first team to Ottawa. Just Soto and Nuñez, and neither is really on track.  They've mostly looked at guys who maybe went through their system and after a few years were foundering, as a courtesy to them almost.

We still need a non-Covid preseason and a proper home season to gauge the project, but I would think that next year they'll want results, they can't be paying for the At Madrid name and not have them. Their Mexican team stays in the lower middle of the table, but is competitive at least. 

if he is to take over atletico he would demand a very large amount of control...he has his network of agents and players and brings certain types as we saw in vancouver...think atletico would accept that after a very bad season but would ask that he take 2-3 players from atletico

Surely Stefan Karajovanovic is signing with Ottleti after being released by Halifax. He's alluding to some moves on twitter.

Gatineau born, came up through the Fury ranks and put up huge numbers at Carleton. Gotta wonder if Bitar or De Brienne get another CPL shot as well.

22 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Interesting, not sure I want MDS in Ottawa.

I think MDS will be immense in the CPL, would be a great fit for Ottawa, more so for a Quebec team ;) 

He will be hungry to prove doubters wrong, should get backing from Atletico to build something longterm. It is the level he has excelled at. I wonder how he is with players, he always comes across very cold and on task but seem to remember players liking him. 

46 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I think MDS will be immense in the CPL, would be a great fit for Ottawa, more so for a Quebec team ;) 

He will be hungry to prove doubters wrong, should get backing from Atletico to build something longterm. It is the level he has excelled at. I wonder how he is with players, he always comes across very cold and on task but seem to remember players liking him. 

Would create an instant rivalry with Valour -- dueling Dos Santos brothers.  

If we were ever concerned about the overwhelming Spanish presence at Ottleti, MDS is the one coach who has prioritized Canadian content everywhere that he's been. I would have to imagine his scouting knowledge is pretty deep.

In San Francisco he brought in Karl Ouimette, Nana Attakora, Maxim Tissot and Kyle Bekker for the Deltas one season.

During his one season at Swope Park, he brought Amer Didic and Tyler Pasher into the fold.

Then, in his stint with Vancouver he was able to bring in Maxime Crepeau who wasn't being used in Montreal and sign Cristian Gutierrez, Tosaint Ricketts, Derek Cornelius, Marcus Godinho and Lucas Cavallini, all of whom were playing outside of North America at the time.

We might look through the John Herdman lens where he's not seen as a tactician, but you can't understate MDS's recruiting ability.

• 2 weeks later...