Atletico Ottawa Season Thread 2021

Big_M

Only 50% paid for their opening match tickets.

This applies to other stuff: people on twitter complaining Canada matches are behind a paywall, people who get upset when Toronto gets Canada matches but then get upset about ticket prices when a match does come to their town.

https://twitter.com/boatical/status/1426241758426509313

Edited by red card

For AtO it's  a gesture of general gratitude to the community and the fund's destination reinforces that. Everyone understands this, including the vast majority of more committed fans. 

But are they arguing that too few with freebie tickets will convert to season tickets? And bickering about possible amounts? Everyone going to an Atlético match, even paying a dollar, is already a potential future fan, I think that'll be clear today. 

I also accept that hoping for a result for them, despite being neutral, makes sense on the level of building for the future. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Why would somebody go out of their way to obtain the tickets through ticketmaster and then not show up? If you did that work you are interested in attending. 

Personally think this was a good marketing ploy by the club. Get some positive buzz for the team. 

The danger is you build a culture where people simply wait for the freebie discount coupon they know will be coming for the games the local club want to hype up as a big event or through Fury style youth soccer group sales to watch a few soccer games each summer without ever really paying for it.

Eventually the owners tend to get fed up of covering the losses needed to prop up their Potemkin village operation and pull the plug when they see no end to it due to the low conversion rate described.

Calgary overdid it a bit at the top end of the price range but accepting the optics of smallish crowds that do pay and generating large gate receipts at modest capacity the few times there is wider interest is arguably the better way to go long term in building a culture where the product always has a realistic pricetag attached to it so you can slowly build towards break even.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

39 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The danger is you build a culture where people simply wait for the freebie discount coupon they know will be coming for the games the local club want to hype up as a big event or through Fury style youth soccer group sales to watch a few soccer games each summer without ever really paying for it.

Eventually the owners tend to get fed up of covering the losses needed to prop up their Potemkin village operation and pull the plug when they see no end to it due to the low conversion rate described.

Calgary overdid it a bit at the top end of the price range but accepting the optics of smallish crowds that do pay and generating large gate receipts at modest capacity the few times there is wider interest is arguably the better way to go long term in building a culture where the product always has a realistic pricetag attached to it and you slowly build towards break even.

A "danger" for one match, a home opener, 500 days later than originally planned? 

In any case by arguing for "building" up, you are justifying what they are doing. 

How do you know it is only going to be for one match? If the ownership group involved isn't comfortable with the optics of what the actual paid numbers are going to wind up being that doesn't tend to be a one off. CanPL is interesting to watch unfold on this because there appear to be very different mentalities on how to approach this issue in the different cities.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

How do you know it is only going to be for one match? If the ownership group involved isn't comfortable with the optics of what the actual paid numbers are going to wind up being that doesn't tend to be a one off. CanPL is interesting to watch unfold on this because there appear to be very different mentalities on how to approach this issue in the different cities.

How do you know it's not? Or why do you assume it won't be? If you are so concerned with the financial well being of the CPL clubs why don't you support one...once...by actually going to a game? Oh right...now I remember...it doesn't help your case if you actually support the league instead of shitting on it. I'll skip the usual insult...this time. Let's see if you answer me for a change or just keep hiding.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

A civil war era Spanish Republican flag? That would probably be OK among Rayo Vallecano fans in Madrid but might get a mixed reception from an  Atletico crowd?

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-everything-you-know-about-madrid-derby-might-be-wrong

Actually, it's not that simple. 

There are maybe only 5-6 teams in LaLiga where it'd be less probable. Most teams have had supporter groups both on the left and the right, often confronted. 

Republicanism (rejection of hereditary heads of state) is on the rise because of little details like resigned King Juan Carlos I in exile for the last year to escape justice. The institution is terribly weak. 

I could go through it team by team but the point is that Atleti is also a team from Madrid south, more working class and far less establishment than El Real. 

That said, it could be a guy from Canada doing grad studies on Spanish republicanism, no way of knowing. 

Although it will likely not be with Atletico Madrid, Alberto Soto has a bright future. His G/A rate might not show it yet but he's looked very good in every game so far IMO. The skill is evident but I think he tracks back very well and provides support well in the buildup despite being a very attacking minded midfielder. 

3 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Did anyone catch the attendance tonight? It seemed like a solid crowd, but I didn't hear them announce the final figure.

I didn’t hear them announcing an attendance but for a midweek evening, it seemed rather healthy and loud.

I don’t post in this section often but I love being back and had a great time tonight. Mista was in the box behind me. Opened the door and absolutely torched Uche’s behaviour coming off. Has to be the most passionate coach, no one in the seats around me knew who he was and kept looking around anytime he reacted. Never felt so great being back in a stadium!

804B6255-8AF2-4AFC-995B-A7B12659E252.jpeg

2 hours ago, jordan said:

I don’t post in this section often but I love being back and had a great time tonight. Mista was in the box behind me. Opened the door and absolutely torched Uche’s behaviour coming off. Has to be the most passionate coach, no one in the seats around me knew who he was and kept looking around anytime he reacted. Never felt so great being back in a stadium!

804B6255-8AF2-4AFC-995B-A7B12659E252.jpeg

That is a lot of dead space between the touchline and the first row of seats. 😕

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

The Td staff  kept on saying it was around 2000. Lots of people were buying jerseys and hats, great to see. Also did any notice that mista was not on field or did I miss something ? 

Looks like a reasonable estimate from the picture above and fan video clips that are easy to find on twitter through the #CanPL hashtag. Lots of empty seats that would need to be mainly filled to be in the 4000+ range. Not surprised they didn't announce it because although that's not disastrous by any stretch of the imagination it's not particularly encouraging either.

• 2 weeks later...