Atletico Ottawa Season Thread 2021

Big_M

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

here we go..first player from the parent club

I wonder how they calculate his salary concerning the salary cap? For example if he's making 100k in Spain is it going to count in Ottawa's cap?

Edited by MtlMario

12 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I wonder how they calculate his salary concerning the salary cap? For example if he's making 100k in Spain is it going to count in Ottawa's cap?

Wouldn't it be nice if Ottawa only agreed to pay a portion of it and make Atletico Madrid pay the rest ... get a player like that for 40,000 Euros :lol:

for players who are making a high salary at their club comparatively to cpl its pretty unlikely that whole salary goes against the cap or that the cpl pays that..sirois and rea at around 65k usd for example loaned to valour..it would be around 25% of the cap just on those two players

20 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

According to Transfermarkt he's on loan from At Madrid until the end of the year, to 31-12.

First active At Madrid academy player to be brought into the At Ottawa mix. I think this kid grew up in working class Madrid, he started at Rayo.

hopefully first of many

On 6/11/2021 at 9:43 AM, MtlMario said:

I wonder if the CPL will put a minimum for that to prevent cap circumvention.

When Toronto FC got Julio Cesar on loan from QPR, he had a $4,000,000 salary at QPR. Toronto FC only paid him $200,000 of that, QPR covered the rest, but they weren't the same ownership group.

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/2/14/5412078/julio-cesar-toronto-fc

https://static.lpcdn.ca/fichiers/articles/4756388/april_1_2014_salary_information_-_by_club.pdf

Edited by rydermike

48 minutes ago, SadOnMondays said:

^ Kinda OT but I'll always be shocked that the Julio Cesar to TFC thing wasn't a bigger deal at the time (maybe it was and it didn't seem that way to me) - it was really crazy to think about it, the captain of Brazil, in a world cup year, playing for TFC. 

It was a bloody big deal. 

Such a great time. It is a shame things have regressed a bit in terms of the big signings but also look where the young Canadians have benefitted. 

Not confirmed news and might not be news that ever turns into something but Alberto Soto (Atlético Madrid) has been training with Ottawa for some weeks now. There was a post on Instagram story of him with Rafael Nuñez a couple weeks ago and he can be spotted in some of the training videos on Twitter. 

Soto is a former Spain U20 international who spent last season on loan with CF La Nucía (Segunda División B/ 3rd Tier)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Atletico is taking a page from Forge's book, adding in a charitable angle as well. I think this is actually pretty clever to burst onto the scene and try to get a lot of people hooked from the start, and they're getting a ton of positive press about this on social media. The mayor and the ON minister for sport were both on hand for the announcement - great to see! 

Let the rampant whining about actual attendance vs. paid attendance begin.