Atletico Ottawa Season Thread 2021

Big_M

Khabra Steps Down From Football - Northern Tribune

Ajay Khabra retires to pursue his education after he didn't reach a deal with Atlético, unfortunate for players like this, but opens up opportunities for other young Canadian players. 

However without the CPL he would not have fulfilled his dream of playing professional soccer.

9 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Khabra Steps Down From Football - Northern Tribune

Ajay Khabra retires to pursue his education after he didn't reach a deal with Atlético, unfortunate for players like this, but opens up opportunities for other young Canadian players. 

However without the CPL he would not have fulfilled his dream of playing professional soccer.

Could he play in the Indian Super League ?! It's late in the cpl offseason too get released by Ottawa..why not pursue an education 

I was starting to wonder if Fisk wasn't returning since the team was taking so long to announce anything.

Nacho isn't coming back either. So, no goalies from last season are returning.

Here's a list of all the players AO announced today that won't be returning for the 2021 season:

https://atleticoottawa.canpl.ca/article/atletico-ottawa-roster-update

1 GK Spain Nacho Zabal   Contract expired February 26, 2021 [7]
9 MF Guinea Mohamed Kourouma   Contract expired February 26, 2021 [7]
10 MF Canada Ben Fisk   Contract expired February 26, 2021 [7]
12 DF Canada Michel Djaozandry   Contract expired February 26, 2021 [7]
14 DF Canada Jarred Phillips   Contract expired February 26, 2021 [7]
30 GK Cameroon Horace Sobze Zemo   Contract expired February 26, 2021 [7]
42 MF Canada Matteo de Brienne   Contract expired February 26, 2021 [7]

6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

If Ben Fisk retires to “pursue other things” the league has a major problem... if it didn’t already.

I hope he doesn't but it would be very understandable for him to pursue other options. I imagine he's been trying to eke out a living at this for 8+ years already and he's now into his prime. I can't imagine he's been paid well anywhere he's gone and I don't see a big pay day in his future.

I hate to say it but Athetico is starting to look like a bust in this league as an owner.  Last year I gave them a bit of a pass for signing players so late and playing the island games with an under strength side. This year there is much less of an excuse. They have had a year to get their act together and arguably should have more cash to get through this crisis than others. But other than Copeland, we have seen no real young talent signed and huge gaps still in the roster where almost all the other sides have filled their rosters out or at least made significant additions.  It starts to worry me that this is more of a misplaced branding exercise by the parent rather than a serious investment in the development of future players. 

Edited by An Observer
Grammar

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I hope he doesn't but it would be very understandable for him to pursue other options. I imagine he's been trying to eke out a living at this for 8+ years already and he's now into his prime. I can't imagine he's been paid well anywhere he's gone and I don't see a big pay day in his future.

Give it a listen -

Hes currently studying a business degree. Think that why he didn't pursue a stay busy loan abroad. He still wants to go the highest level he can playing futbol is what i got from the pod

35 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I hate to say it but Athetico is starting to look like a bust in this league as an owner.  Last year I gave them a bit of a pass for signing players so late and playing the island games with an under strength side. This year there is much less of an excuse. They have had a year to get their act together and arguably should have more cash to get through this crisis than others. But other than Copeland, we have seen no real young talent signed and huge gaps still in the roster where almost all the other sides have filled their rosters out or at least made significant additions.  It starts to worry me that this is more of a misplaced branding exercise by the parent rather than a serious investment in the development of future players. 

You overlook Jeff Hunt.

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

If Ben Fisk retires to “pursue other things” the league has a major problem... if it didn’t already.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Rumours on Fisk's new destination?

Some of these other players being dropped make sense (the keepers), although it is a bit late and they are going to have to get moving on things. 

Rumoured to be headed to Forge. Can’t blame him if he gets to play continental football and the voyageurs cup final. It’s a critical part of his career. 

Honestly don't get the rage about Fisk. I can only imagine we simply havent seen the best of him in the CPL and I didn't see him before to judge.

He was pretty much heralded as one of the best players in the league when he was signed to Pacific. I certainly wouldn't put him top 10 or maybe even top 20 from what I have seen of him. 

I hope he does go to forge and we see the potential I have seen people talk about come into fruition.

As for Ottawa, they would have been very much aware of this in december imo. That this many people are leaving will be a decision of their choosing. They have the best resources of any club in the league. They will be fine imo. 

55 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Honestly don't get the rage about Fisk. I can only imagine we simply havent seen the best of him in the CPL and I didn't see him before to judge.

He was pretty much heralded as one of the best players in the league when he was signed to Pacific. I certainly wouldn't put him top 10 or maybe even top 20 from what I have seen of him. 

I hope he does go to forge and we see the potential I have seen people talk about come into fruition.

As for Ottawa, they would have been very much aware of this in december imo. That this many people are leaving will be a decision of their choosing. They have the best resources of any club in the league. They will be fine imo. 

I thought he was pretty good in the NASL 

Had a swagger when he goes 1 v 1 against players you don't always see from Canadians..haven't seen him much in the cpl. He only left Pacific BC he thought playing for athelico Ottawa might open the door to playing for a higher level clubs through athleico network..

On 3/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, Ansem said:

Looks like they aren't going to miss the next Jonathan David

They didn’t miss him though he turned MLS down. Glad to see that Athletico is making inroads and starting to expand their network, shouldn’t be long now until their next Coupland is found.

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

They didn’t miss him though he turned MLS down. Glad to see that Athletico is making inroads and starting to expand their network, shouldn’t be long now until their next Coupland is found.

They shouldn't worry about the "next" Coupland when they haven't made use of the "current" Coupland.  CPL has nothing going for it for senior players, its these younger kids that should be getting major minutes so that they can be sold to Europe.  He's 18 in December and has played 46 minutes in CPL..  

1 minute ago, Footyeh said:

They shouldn't worry about the "next" Coupland when they haven't made use of the "current" Coupland.  CPL has nothing going for it for senior players, its these younger kids that should be getting major minutes so that they can be sold to Europe.  He's 18 in December and has played 46 minutes in CPL..  

Losing the season hurt them forsure, let’s see how this years play the kids movement goes.