FC Edmonton Season Thread 2021

Big_M

What's the excuse? Been around 10 years. 

Have an former academy players in your backyard. Edm Scottish, Btb u19 team, former professionals that live here (amoebi, Sarkaria, Edem, farmer, sadi, Hanson, Amanda bros, chance .. ) easily a full 11.

Should be the sharpest team in the league. 

Try the kids 

They have a lot of new faces, a big turn over. I think the priority of the bubble will be getting those new faces together forming their identity and relying on the older pro's. There are plenty of games for the youngsters to get minutes in later in the season, the core of this team needs developing first.  

There is something there in this Edmonton team. They are night and day better imo. I was skeptical of some of the signings but pretty much all the signings look good, Aird is on fire. I don't think that "something" will get them in the top 4/5 but they won't finish last imo. 

37 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

(amoebi, Sarkaria, Edem, farmer, sadi, Hanson, Amanda bros, chance .. ) easily a full 11.

Ameobi is well past his prime, Sarkaria didn't impress in year one, Edem went into coaching, maybe he is back to playing again. Farmer is awful, sadi was always facing an uphill battle due to his personal problems, Hanson is obviously too far gone or they would have picked him up again and the best Amanda brother got a great move abroad and won't be touching the CPL anytime soon. Chance retired

I don't think any of the above add anything to this new Edmonton team (Amanda's aside).

I like a lot of what I see with this group. Best player pool of the three seasons, imo.

Gardner is learning to not get so knocked about - player with vision and upside.

Shome has to step into it - he can do more/better.

Aird definitely best man on pitch - vision, too.

I look forward to watching them gel and come together.

15 hours ago, wallflower said:

I like a lot of what I see with this group. Best player pool of the three seasons, imo.

Gardner is learning to not get so knocked about - player with vision and upside.

Shome has to step into it - he can do more/better.

Aird definitely best man on pitch - vision, too.

I look forward to watching them gel and come together.

This has been the most consistent stretch of play out of Aird in several years. 

Shome is in possibly the most difficult position for a player to adapt to a new team environment and during a year where there is a lot of rust. Bekker struggled in his first few matches with Forge year one, I wouldn't be surprised it Shome has a similar turnaround.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess they tried pushing the local content angle in a big way with Jeff Paulus and have soured on it a bit. Tacoma are the Sounders reserve team so this is a case of an American MLS team sending an American player to CanPL. Would be interesting to find out if they are doing this because they genuinely rate him and think this will help his development or it was just a way to offload a fringe player who is surplus to requirements.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Guess they tried pushing the local content angle in a big way with Jeff Paulus and have soured on it a bit. Tacoma are the Sounders reserve team so this is a case of an American MLS team sending an American player to CanPL. Would be interesting to find out if they are doing this because they genuinely rate him and think this will help his development or it was just a way to offload a fringe player who is surplus to requirements.

Not sure if I agree. the top local kids and players are training with the first team. BTB academy, Fc first team or Edm Scottish.. Have 4 academy players signed to the first team. Two goalies. 

https://fcedmonton.canpl.ca/player/5y19d075hzkz2nqb7z1pzp6vo ... I think is signed to an development contract 

Loan ended for Robert Avilva 

https://www.transfermarkt.us/austin-bold-fc/transfers/verein/68495/saison_id/2021

1 hour ago, masster said:

Gardner released? That surprises me. That fact that no details were given must mean something happened behind the scenes. 

They announced he's going back to UBC. He signed a developmental contract to remain university eligible. Their season is going to start soon. Nothing fishy about it. 

Edited by rydermike

Interesting coincidence I found checking the news.  Larne, the Northern Irish team Stephen Eustaquio just faced in the Europa Conference League included an Albert Watson starting at centre half.  The same Albert Watson that played for FC Edmonton in the NASL days (2013-17).

Here is his quote that alerted me to the interview and a link. 

"[Pacos] are fluid up front and it’s unbelievable to watch, they are the best attacking side I have played against in Europe based on their movement.

“Canadian international Stephen Eustaquio is an excellent passer of the ball and they have strength and speed up front. But I enjoy challenges like that.”

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/irish-league/larne/larne-will-learn-from-european-experience-says-albert-watson-40742813.html