FC Edmonton Season Thread 2021

Big_M

On 6/14/2021 at 9:31 PM, toontownman said:

I wish the roster size was 23 then you could have u-sport/youth players on top. Or can you already? Lol. 23 is tough once the injuries pile up.

I read somewhere that teams will be allowed to sign 4 u18s on developmental contracts on top of the current 23 man roster, they count against the salary cap, looks like FC Edmonton are the first by signing 16 year-old keeper Joseph Holliday from their academy.

Eddies Add Academy Goalkeeper Joseph Holliday - Northern Tribune

FC Edmonton Joseph Holliday

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

17 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I read somewhere that teams will be allowed to sign 4 u18s on developmental contracts on top of the current 23 man roster, they count against the salary cap, looks like FC Edmonton are the first by signing 16 year-old keeper Joseph Holliday from their academy.

Eddies Add Academy Goalkeeper Joseph Holliday - Northern Tribune

FC Edmonton Joseph Holliday

Jeff Paulus mentioned how's there an 16/17 year old #10 ready for the first team mins 

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

disagree that this is on the league. Never heard of him before - and long term, dentist is a good plan.

I trust player's self-assessment about their realistic long term chances to out-earn their potential career.

Good luck to him

I think there's more too it. Maybe it was mix of wasn't at the level Koch required from the young guys plus wanted to focus on school. Shamit shome got by uofa eng (insane work load)  and playing for Colin Miller. 

If your planning on retiring .. you can earn more savings for tuition by playing in the bubble in a week or so on a  cpl contract or usport contract every summer ..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Interesting approach to dealing with the fanbase:

E6q_YarVoAQjoCg?format=jpg&name=large

Apparently this was probably sent out from league HQ:

I guess Gord and Jack are the Debbie Downers of FC Edmonton Twitter just like you are the Debbie Downer of CPL on this forum. I love the playful fun from the social media people!

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Interesting approach to dealing with the fanbase:

E6q_YarVoAQjoCg?format=jpg&name=large

Apparently this was probably sent out from league HQ:

Also on the CPL app there is nothing new since I think mid June on the FCE page. Found that to be strange.

26 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I guess Gord and Jack are the Debbie Downers of FC Edmonton Twitter just like you are the Debbie Downer of CPL on this forum. I love the playful fun from the social media people!

The people it was directed at appear to have been offended by it:

https://northerntribune.ca/fc-edmonton-social-media-criticism/

...It’s certainly a head-scratching moment for the Alberta-based side, especially given who it was directly calling out: Gord Walker is a longtime fan who provided away support to every venue the club travelled to in 2019, while Jack O’Brien’s support for the club extends beyond its Canadian Premier League era, too...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The culture that surrounds the CanPL league office and its operations is rancid at times. The general lack of transparency and the ongoing saga on the lack of players union recognition would be other examples of that.

You don't have a clue what goes on there so stop your speculating and presenting it as facts. More of your wasted contribution on this forum.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The culture that surrounds the CanPL league office and its operations is rancid at times. The general lack of transparency and the ongoing saga on the lack of players union recognition would be other examples of that.

So Jack thinks it's just banter but you are outraged?