MLS Match Updates and Talk 2021

Big_M

14 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Nice ball by Waterman to ZBG.

Choiniere having a 'mare so far.  Montreal wouldn't be overrun if he'd connect on a few more passes.  Hopefully he calms down a bit.

Judging by the highlights, he seemed to get into an offensive groove later in the game. 

8 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Judging by the highlights, he seemed to get into an offensive groove later in the game. 

Yeah, his first 15 minutes were rough with 3 or 4 giveaways, but he really excelled afterwards.

I was also impressed with the entire Impact backline.  ZBG and Bassong can move the ball and I thought Waterman and Miller were solid defensively.   

7 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Yeah, his first 15 minutes were rough with 3 or 4 giveaways, but he really excelled afterwards.

I was also impressed with the entire Impact backline.  ZBG and Bassong can move the ball and I thought Waterman and Miller were solid defensively.   

I only watch TFC and Montreal casually, but from what I've seen, I'd much rather have Montreal's Canadians over TFC's.

2 hours ago, rightback said:

I only watch TFC and Montreal casually, but from what I've seen, I'd much rather have Montreal's Canadians over TFC's.

It's hard to make that determination when you see one without seeing the other.

My guess though is that the backline did so well was because they have been seeing regularly playing time.  Nancy seems to find a way to get them into games which makes them better players and more comfortable when an injury crisis hits.  Guys like Nelson and Okello can't really be expected to do much when called upon when they've had 12 and 55 minutes worth of playing time since May.  Same for someone like Shaffleburg who got six minutes for the first time in a month.

If you want them to be legitimate substitutes, you have to find a way to get them playing time on a regular basis.  If you don't think they are legitimate substitutes, find others who are.  Nancy seems to be managing his team pretty well in this regard.

Certainly this year there is a major discrepancy between salaries and results, at least to this point. I remember the financial officer at my place of employment using the Blue Jays as an example of winning without spending the most. He was of course wrong as the Jays payroll was the highest in the league when they won the Wotld Series in 91-92. Typically teams that spend more do better and I am sure that has been demonstrated over the past few years between TFC and Montreal in their results. Hopefully TFC will start playing like an expensively constructed team.