General MLS Talk 2021

Big_M

montreal not in was predictable...they are probably hoping cpl limit goes above five so they send players around and then maybe make an affiliation with a team like rochester...will be interesting to see if they are forced to put a team in next pro in 2024

This is actually a good move for the MLS a good way for players to develop and probably and good move for the USL , just like the CPL not wanting farm teams in their league I’m sure the USL probably has the same mind set in the end , they would rather have fully independent teams . The end of the day it’s about developing players . England has something similar with their U23 league where guys like Corbenue and Millar have played and this MLS new farm league is basically what this is more or less . 

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

MLS Next will fold in ___ years...

Lets Go GIF by The Fast Saga

Edmonton and York United come to mind if they don’t get their shit together and start properly marketing their teams especially York United a team I support but most games I have attended it’s a little more than friends and family at their games . I’ll let this season go because of Covid but the next two years are critical. Do something with that stadium make it more appealing, you can literally stand outside the stadium by the fence and watch the game for free at York United . They still have an old advertising board on Steeles Ave not far from the stadium that has the York 9 name on it with some players on it who have not played with the team since year one , to give you an idea where their marketing of this team stands .

48 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

This is actually a good move for the MLS a good way for players to develop and probably and good move for the USL...

Doubt the games will have the competitive edge that USL ones do so not convinced this is optimal for MLS on player development, and USL have to wonder what's going on with the independent franchise angle and exactly how far MLS plan to push that and why.

17 hours ago, Big_M said:

montreal not in was predictable...they are probably hoping cpl limit goes above five so they send players around and then maybe make an affiliation with a team like rochester...will be interesting to see if they are forced to put a team in next pro in 2024

Rochester finally made it to the MLS.

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Edmonton and York United come to mind if they don’t get their shit together and start properly marketing their teams especially York United a team I support but most games I have attended it’s a little more than friends and family at their games . I’ll let this season go because of Covid but the next two years are critical. Do something with that stadium make it more appealing, you can literally stand outside the stadium by the fence and watch the game for free at York United . They still have an old advertising board on Steeles Ave not far from the stadium that has the York 9 name on it with some players on it who have not played with the team since year one , to give you an idea where their marketing of this team stands .

Not sure why we're talking CPL but my comment is to the obvious fact that this will be a money pit unless they can sell players or make the kind of revenue making up for this...

And....

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

England has something similar with their U23 league where guys like Corbenue and Millar have played and this MLS new farm league is basically what this is more or less . 

MLS isn't the EPL, those club revenues makes an endeavors painless on the wallet. For this reserve league to be sustainable, they will have to sell way more players than they have been doing thus far at the very least.

I get the initiative, which don't get me wrong, is good but this won't be cheap to run and not convinced they'll do better in attendance 

Edited by Ansem

I'm really confused on this one.  Van and the Impact lost their shirt on USL last time around (millions)  "Dumpster fire" is the term I remember being used over and over.  But more teams that have some sort of incentive playing CDN kids is always good. And this would open up more opportunities for some of the VAN kids. Or will they just use it to keep end of the bench vets sharp for MLS play??

But what are they trying to get done that wasnt getting done with outright farm clubs and affiliates in USL?  Very strange but I assume Garber and Curtis have it all planned out.